CM: IAD-PTY-GEO 7,058 PQM $296 AI RT 4.2 CPM July-November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CM: IAD-PTY-GEO 7,058 PQM $296 AI RT 4.2 CPM July-November

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by OhioExile
Any thoughts of things to do in Guyana for 3+ days? It seems pretty sparse.
Depends on what you're capable of and interested in.

There are tons of options for going out into nature - lots of hikes of varying levels, varied landscapes, tons of places/villages to hang out way off the beaten track. One thing you'll need for this is time, since transport can be slow. The Bradt guide is good for planning a nature-heavy trip.

One alternative option if you don't like roughing it in the forest is to get a sense of life on the coast by dividing your time on the road between Georgetown and Paramaribo. This journey will definitely fill a few days, and give you a lot of variety without much stress. Paramaribo has some interesting architecture and is interesting to hang out in - and strange to be the only non-Dutch tourist anywhere. Closer to the border, the population is mostly Indian (South Asian Indian) and Hindi and Bhojpuri are so commonly spoken you can get around using just them.

So, culturally, fascinating. Alternatively, nature - awesome. Also, excellent music.

PS: If going to Suriname, just show up at their Georgetown embassy, give them 20 bucks and they'll staple a visa in your passport.

Last edited by danielm; Apr 30, 2014 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I've seen this deal on and off for the past few weeks on airfarewatchdog, if that helps.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Put in a min of 4 days and Thurs will show.
^^

thanks Flyhigh23!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by OhioExile
Any thoughts of things to do in Guyana for 3+ days? It seems pretty sparse.
One of my bucket list trips is to travel from Georgetown Guyana to Cayenne, French Guyana, crossing Suriname, all by ground. (Bus, private car, whatever).

That is what I plan to do.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
quite tempting indeed. alas, my summer/fall is completely oversubscribed already
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by zgringo14
One of my bucket list trips is to travel from Georgetown Guyana to Cayenne, French Guyana, crossing Suriname, all by ground. (Bus, private car, whatever).

That is what I plan to do.
Please forgive the presumption...what is the appeal of that trip to be bucket list worthy (assuming one's list is not prodigiously long)?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Desdinova
Please forgive the presumption...what is the appeal of that trip to be bucket list worthy (assuming one's list is not prodigiously long)?
Good question. It is just something that I decided I wanted to do a couple of years ago. I wanted to hit those 3 countries in South America, and I decided it would make sense to do them all at once. Then after I checked out how to travel between them via road, I came up with this. It is one of those things that just came to me after staring at maps for a while trying to figure out the best way to hit those 3 countries. Also, I'm getting to the end of my list. I'll need to make a new bucket list after this and Sao Tome.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Having read this trip report (albeit from 2010 and in Russian, written by an Israeli), I don't think Georgetown is worth more than a day. However, if you're adventurous, an overnight bus trip can get you to Brazil, Suriname, and French Guiana (2 days).

Be sure to get all the necessary shots.

Last edited by Palal; Apr 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: *A G, OW Sapphire
And for anyone interested - $365 ex-JFK.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
seems dead
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Still shows up on ITA
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
quite tempting indeed. alas, my summer/fall is completely oversubscribed already
Yeah, I was hoping it would book into 2015.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
A question for those in a know. On August 13th I have a 12:30 PHL-IAH-SAN flight but was looking to make this trip before that. The return is scheduled to arrive on the 13th in IAD at 12:50 AM. Would taking Amtrak from Union Station to ZFV then mass transit to PHL be a realistic option? It seems as if there's enough time for delays, but then I'm banking entirely on IRROPS not being an issue. Safer to take the trip the week before?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by dantorsiello
A question for those in a know. On August 13th I have a 12:30 PHL-IAH-SAN flight but was looking to make this trip before that. The return is scheduled to arrive on the 13th in IAD at 12:50 AM. Would taking Amtrak from Union Station to ZFV then mass transit to PHL be a realistic option? It seems as if there's enough time for delays, but then I'm banking entirely on IRROPS not being an issue. Safer to take the trip the week before?
The NE Regional WAS-PHL goes at 3AM, 4AM, etc (see Amtrak schedules; 2 hrs)

Then, ZFV to PHL via the Airport Line. http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_0.html

Easy.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Still alive

Just booked this for Oct 13 - Oct 19

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.