Wiki Posts
Search

CM: IAD-PTY-GEO 7,058 PQM $296 AI RT 4.2 CPM July-November

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dantorsiello
A question for those in a know. On August 13th I have a 12:30 PHL-IAH-SAN flight but was looking to make this trip before that. The return is scheduled to arrive on the 13th in IAD at 12:50 AM. Would taking Amtrak from Union Station to ZFV then mass transit to PHL be a realistic option? It seems as if there's enough time for delays, but then I'm banking entirely on IRROPS not being an issue. Safer to take the trip the week before?
Just make sure you factor in the cost of taking a cab from IAD ---> Union Station which will likely be at least $65-70 (Uber is fixed at $80 and UberX is $65 though getting UberX from IAD can be difficult) though the cabs from Dulles will take credit cards so taking Uber isn't a requirement if you don't have cash.

That being said timing-wise you should have no problem. If you get in a cab at let's say 1:45am to be safe you'll be at Union Station by 2:45am at the latest (probably much sooner since no traffic that hour but to be safe let's call it 2:45am at the latest) and mentioned by Tblack15 you can take the 315am NE Regional and then ZFV to PHL via the airport line. The NE Regional should take ~2 hours to get to PHL/ZFV.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Just make sure you factor in the cost of taking a cab from IAD ---> Union Station which will likely be at least $65-70 (Uber is fixed at $80 and UberX is $65 though getting UberX from IAD can be difficult) though the cabs from Dulles will take credit cards so taking Uber isn't a requirement if you don't have cash.

That being said timing-wise you should have no problem. If you get in a cab at let's say 1:45am to be safe you'll be at Union Station by 2:45am at the latest (probably much sooner since no traffic that hour but to be safe let's call it 2:45am at the latest) and mentioned by Tblack15 you can take the 315am NE Regional and then ZFV to PHL via the airport line. The NE Regional should take ~2 hours to get to PHL/ZFV.
Or, a lot less expensive than a taxi: catch the 5A Express Metro bus from IAD to Rosslyn. From there, take a Blue or Orange Line train to Metro Center and transfer to the Red Line, which stops at Union Station.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by vandrei
Or, a lot less expensive than a taxi: catch the 5A Express Metro bus from IAD to Rosslyn. From there, take a Blue or Orange Line train to Metro Center and transfer to the Red Line, which stops at Union Station.
August 13 is a Wednesday. MetroRail shuts down at midnight.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
A question for those in a know. On August 13th I have a 12:30 PHL-IAH-SAN flight but was looking to make this trip before that. The return is scheduled to arrive on the 13th in IAD at 12:50 AM. Would taking Amtrak from Union Station to ZFV then mass transit to PHL be a realistic option? It seems as if there's enough time for delays, but then I'm banking entirely on IRROPS not being an issue. Safer to take the trip the week before?
And perhaps for a much more comfortable and cheaper option (but with some issue) is just to simply rent a car one-way from IAD to PHL.

However, it would mean that you have to be coherent at 01h45, but the drive from the Sticks of Virginia to Philadelphia isn't bad and at that hour naturally there shouldn't be any traffic at all. Plus, it would give you the option to get some food off the beaten track and keep your bag(s) with you in the trunk!

I traditionally would always go the public transit route, but in Washington, the lack of good transport in the middle of the night (even on weekends) makes me suggest the following option. From DCA you would have better options, but of course the CM fare doesn't allow that...

-jeremy
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Getting from IAD to Union wouldn't be a problem. I have a friend who lives in that area who owes me a couple of airport pick ups at this point, so he'd be on the hook for it.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Well then. Occam's razor it is. Good call. Take the earliest NE Regional you can, then get a Philly Cheesesteak for breakfast :-)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Getting from IAD to Union wouldn't be a problem. I have a friend who lives in that area who owes me a couple of airport pick ups at this point, so he'd be on the hook for it.
for a 1 AM pickup? hehe... get him something nice at duty free!!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:06 pm

I just impulsively booked this flight for November 20-28. If anyone is willing to travel with me, let me know. So far I've just booked for myself.

Also, can anyone clarify for me whether or not COPA miles can still be redeemed on US Airways? A google search shows US still has a webpage outlining the redemption details but I'm thinking this is an error.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by getmyassoutofdebt
I just impulsively booked this flight for November 20-28. If anyone is willing to travel with me, let me know. So far I've just booked for myself.

Also, can anyone clarify for me whether or not COPA miles can still be redeemed on US Airways? A google search shows US still has a webpage outlining the redemption details but I'm thinking this is an error.
US is now in Oneworld, so it is unlikely that a Star Alliance (CM) carrier's miles will be able to be used with them.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K

There's no such thing as COPA miles. COPA's FFP is United Mileage Plus.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

actually, i booked on the same date.
one plan that i am thinking is to pick up all guyana, suriname and french guiana in the same trip.

i will probably spend the first night in guyana, and head to suriname on Nov 22 (unless i can arrange a trip to the Fall on Nov 22)... as i dont need a visa for Suriname, and then head to French guiana (day tirp or not.. it depends.) and then back to georgetown to on Nov 27.

anyone has any suggestion to spend a week in those regions?

Last edited by pbd456; Apr 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
All booked. Departing IAD on August 4 for the long layover in PTY. In Guyana from August 5 to 12, get into IAD at 1 am, taking the train up to ZFV, jumping on a 12:30 pm PHL-IAH-SAN returning on August 21.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:27 pm

Fare is dead. I should have booked when I first saw it.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by margaritahh
not dead. just saw it at copaair.com
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margaritahh
The reports of the death of this fare have been greatly exaggerated. It's still there and bookable via google.com/flights ---> the big O. Every single Monday - Friday in September, October, and November

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.