UA: ZFV-SAN/SEA/SMF/PDX/LAS $151 ai RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: ZFV-SAN/SEA/SMF/PDX/LAS $151 ai RT

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by fzwinter
My thoughts as well. Hard to justify spending time and $$$ just to get the measly benefits from Silver status.
I'm going to philly for labor day weekend. It is more of a nice vacation for me without using any vacaction days.

I also booked SAN-ORD-IAD-BOS-EWR-SAN for my birthday at 4.6cpm. I'm only using 1 vacation day for a 3 day weekend.

I only need 4691 more miles. Which is 389 miles short of a trip to Cancun from SAN.

I know Silver benefits are measly but I guess you have to start some where.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
^

Just be careful, it is addictive. Three years ago I was a first-time silver, this year if all goes well I will qualify for 1K for the first time.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by ddrost1
^

Just be careful, it is addictive. Three years ago I was a first-time silver, this year if all goes well I will qualify for 1K for the first time.
I'm actually in the same situation as him and I kinda regret not doing this years ago when my schedule was more flexible.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:29 pm

^

Thanks! I'm planning to hit 1K in 4 years. Any tips? I calculated that the most I have to travel in a year is 57143 from Platinum to 1K.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Thanks! I'm planning to hit 1K in 4 years. Any tips? I calculated that the most I have to travel in a year is 57143 from Platinum to 1K.
Who knows what the qualification requirements for 1K will be in 4 years, or even if 1K will be a status level in MP? It's nice to plan ahead, but plan for unforeseen detours.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
^

I AM addicted..will probably need rehab of some type at some point!
Old May 31, 2013, 5:25 pm

Have lots of flexibility to travel on-demand whenever fare sale takes place. I used to fly 25-50k a year, however I had lots of free time last year so I was able to hit 1K for the first time; this year I'd probably make 50k+ including a few occasional pure MR trips.

Silver does not really make much of a difference on UA, applying a co-branded credit card could be a more economical way than MR. I would suggest save up the out-of-pocket expense for MR in another year to reach Gold or above. But if you truly enjoy or addict to the flying experience, then all bets are off - just do whatever you want and can afford
Old May 31, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I'm going to philly for labor day weekend. It is more of a nice vacation for me without using any vacaction days.

I also booked SAN-ORD-IAD-BOS-EWR-SAN for my birthday at 4.6cpm. I'm only using 1 vacation day for a 3 day weekend.

I only need 4691 more miles. Which is 389 miles short of a trip to Cancun from SAN.

I'm glad to hear you are getting something out of your trips besides just the miles.

If you're trying to get over the hump by flying to CUN. See what you can do to grab a more complicated routing. According to Great Circle Mapper, you'd get 4228 miles flying SAN-IAH-CUN-IAH-SAN but if you added a DEN segment each direction (SAN-DEN-IAH-CUN-IAH-DEN-SAN), you could get 5051 miles for the trip. If you can route this way in the same fare bucket, you'd only pay a slight bit more in segment fees.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by kluever
Deal to LAS is back:

United: Philadelphia Las Vegas (and vice versa) $199. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
Fare Availability: Valid for travel from August December.
Routing: ZFV EWR (Newark) LAS (Las Vegas) EWR ZFV
Mileage: 4,600 miles or 4.3 cents per mile

Via http://www.theflightdeal.com/2013/05...ing-all-taxes/
It's down to $171 now. Thanks UA!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
the fact that you're throwing out the 57143 number suggests to me that you're counting on the elite bonuses to count towards your qualifying. They only count for redeemable miles, not for qualifying miles. If you want to earn 1k, you have to fly 100,000 miles (or 120 segments) barring bonus eqm from higher fare classes or a promo.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by Antipode
the fact that you're throwing out the 57143 number suggests to me that you're counting on the elite bonuses to count towards your qualifying. They only count for redeemable miles, not for qualifying miles. If you want to earn 1k, you have to fly 100,000 miles (or 120 segments) barring bonus eqm from higher fare classes or a promo.
Just to be sure it's understood, to earn 1k, you have to fly 100,000 miles in one year not four.

Come on UA bring this fare back one more time, I have friends in SAN that want to come to the east coast for cheap
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:03 pm

EWR-ZFV Connection Question

This is my first post...
And I will be using the EWR-PHL connection for the very first time too..

Can anyone advise exactly the point-to-point process in exiting EWR, taking the Airtrain and then how/where to connect with Amtrak into ZFV?
(Just wondering if one needs to to first go to Penn Station to make the Amtrak connection?)

Many Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wowojoe
This is my first post...
And I will be using the EWR-PHL connection for the very first time too..

Can anyone advise exactly the point-to-point process in exiting EWR, taking the Airtrain and then how/where to connect with Amtrak into ZFV?
(Just wondering if one needs to to first go to Penn Station to make the Amtrak connection?)

Many Thanks!
No, you do not first go to Penn Station to make the Amtrak connection (that is in the opposite direction). You head out of EWR, follow sings to AirTran, take AirTrain to the Rail link stop (past Terminal C and P4), and exit using your Amtrak ticket (AirTran fee is included in Amtrak ticket price). You then look on the screen to see which platform to stand on for your Amtrak ride to ZFV. (The screen lists trains served by both Amtrak and NJ Transit).
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the help...
...and clarification.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by wowojoe
Thanks for the help...
...and clarification.
Generally it is no more than 10-15 minutes from the Security Checkpoint area of Terminal C to the EWR Amtrak station platforms.

Sometimes they do maintenance on the monorail at off peak hours but that is typically 11pm-6am.

Sitting at 30k eqms this year and the only likely trip currently planned is a ~18k eqm trip to Asia I should have bit on this one last week. I have to admit part of me wanted to wait for another EWR-HNL ~$450 deal to come around but I think I'll have to buy a few of these if they come back

Last edited by nova08; Jun 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.