UA: ZFV-SAN/SEA/SMF/PDX/LAS $151 ai RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: ZFV-SAN/SEA/SMF/PDX/LAS $151 ai RT

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare seems to be available again between PHL and SAN, but I don't see the other cities.

I refuse to look because I just got back from SAN, and already have 2 other SAN itineraries in the next year booked.

BTW, it's currently confusing at SAN as UA is operating out of 2 terminals (the old CO flights, and the old UA flights). They're supposed to be consolidating to the new wing of Terminal 2 soon.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just booked one for September
Old May 28, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Looks like it's back up for Portland too.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majikow
Looks like it's back up for Portland too.
Yeah, they seem to be bringing it back slowly. Maybe Sacramento, too.

I sure wish they'd mix it up a bit when attacking US at PHL. How about some $98 roundtrips to the Southeast or something? Those transcons get old, fast -- especially when sitting in coach.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA, United
it's back on for PDX and SEA, just got 2 tickets for a quick vacation
Old May 28, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
There's also some flights out of PHL connecting in IAH or SFO for like $178-$185 that get the cost down under 3 cpm. Almost booked one but fiance said I need to chill. Hope someone else can make use.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
PHL-SAN/PDX/SEA/SMF/ from $174

They are back again this week. You can fly out of PHL, instead of ZFV. Good travels.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
snagged it!

I just booked a double transcon for September 24-26:

PHL-ORD-SEA-EWR-ZFV-EWR-SAN-IAD-PHL

Total was $316.50, for 9611 EQM (3.29 cpm) or 9711 base RDM (3.26 cpm)

BUT I had a $60 Travel Club credit, which reduced my purchase cost to $256.50, so my real cpm is 2.67 cpm EQM or 2.64 cpm RDM.

Question:

The EWR-ZFV portion of my itinerary is as follows:

5:06 Arrive EWR (from SEA)
8:32-9:33 Train EWR-ZFV
12:16-13:20 Train ZFV-EWR
17:15 Depart EWR (to SAN)

Suppose I want to spend time in either NYC or Philadelphia in the 12 hours between my arrival and departure from EWR. Can I use these tickets to take different trains to/from ZFV?

Last edited by discoverCSG; May 29, 2013 at 9:09 am Reason: Incorrectly listed "SAN" as "SEA". Oops.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Suppose I want to spend time in either NYC or Philadelphia in the 12 hours between my arrival and departure from EWR. Can I use these tickets to take different trains to/from ZFV?
Nope, not unless you want the rest of your ticket cancelled after the ZFV legs. Also, why do you hate yourself so much, double transcons on elite heavy routes?
Old May 29, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Talking

Originally Posted by gbryan84
why do you hate yourself so much, double transcons on elite heavy routes?
LOL!! Great question ^
Old May 29, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
two trancons

I just booked a double transcon for September 24-26:

PHL-ORD-SEA-EWR-ZFV-EWR-SEA-IAD-PHL

Total was $316.50, for 9611 EQM (3.29 cpm) or 9711 base RDM (3.26 cpm)

BUT I had a $60 Travel Club credit, which reduced my purchase cost to $256.50, so my real cpm is 2.67 cpm EQM or 2.64 cpm RDM.

Question:

The EWR-ZFV portion of my itinerary is as follows:

5:06 Arrive EWR (from SEA)
8:32-9:33 Train EWR-ZFV
12:16-13:20 Train ZFV-EWR
17:15 Depart EWR (to SEA)

You can certainly cancel the reservation now if you do not want to take the ZFV train. You can replace one of SEA destinations by SAN and still have the reservation in a single locator. For example, PHL-SAN-PHL-SEA-PHL with a multiple destination search. You may be able to optimize your routes by adding a few more stops if the routing rules allow. Good travels.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You can certainly cancel the reservation now if you do not want to take the ZFV train.
I'm aware of that option. However, I don't object to taking a train EWR-ZFV-EWR. Rather, my question is: is it possible to take a different train in order to optimize the amount of time spent near EWR and/or ZFV? I ask because this itinerary has me in EWR for 2.5 hours, ZFV for 2.5 hours, and EWR again for 4 hours, and I'd rather do something like EWR for 6 hours, ZFV for 1 hour, and EWR for 2 hours.

Better question: Are these train tickets transferable to another Amtrak train on the same route on the same day?

EDIT: I see why Kmxu made part of the suggestion he made: In my first post, I incorrectly said I was leaving EWR for SEA; in fact, I'm flying to SAN. Ahh, the joys of mileage running.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm aware of that option. However, I don't object to taking a train EWR-ZFV-EWR. Rather, my question is: is it possible to take a different train in order to optimize the amount of time spent near EWR and/or ZFV? I ask because this itinerary has me in EWR for 2.5 hours, ZFV for 2.5 hours, and EWR again for 4 hours, and I'd rather do something like EWR for 6 hours, ZFV for 1 hour, and EWR for 2 hours.

Better question: Are these train tickets transferable to another Amtrak train on the same route on the same day?

EDIT: I see why Kmxu made part of the suggestion he made: In my first post, I incorrectly said I was leaving EWR for SEA; in fact, I'm flying to SAN. Ahh, the joys of mileage running.
short answer: no. just don't even try. if you get a really nice conductor and look really innocent and say you got on the wrong train they might let you slide. but most/all conductors will ask you to pay the full fare of EWR-NYC.

long answer: since United doesn't issue unreserved tickets like before, the only train you can use the EWR-ZFV leg on is on your scheduled southbound NE regional train. as the stops go like EWR-trenton-30th station (metropark is somewhere after EWR and before 30th - dont remember if its before or after trenton), the train doesn't actually go through new york. You can get off the train at any stop before your scheduled destination (i.e. trenton) and be fine, but the train doesn't even head toward new york..
Old May 29, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
oops, my apologies for reading your question wrong. If you ask nicely, the gate agents at the train terminal (after the airtrain gate thingys) will almost always let you switch to an earlier train (and they should let you switch to a later train as well, but you might get a few wierd looks in the process) for no change fee - Amtrak is never full these days...(unless you plan to travel the day before a major holiday..)
Old May 29, 2013, 12:49 pm

Picked up SAN-EWR-ZFV-EWR-SAN for labor day weekend! $150.90 (red-eye outbound, late flight in bound)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.