Search

Falafel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Falafel

Where is your favorite falafel in Chicagoland?

For those that might be wondering what exactly is Falafel, it is ground spiced fava beans or chickpeas shaped into balls and fried. Usually put in pita bread with lettuce tomato onions and tahini or chili sauce. Even though I am a confirmed carnivore, a falafel sandwich is delicious and filling. ^ ^

I'm partial to the falafel at Pita Town on Milwaukee Ave in Niles.
Pita Town
9001 N Milwaukee Ave
Niles

In Time Out's "100 Best Things We Ate This Year" article, they list City Noor as their favorite stating, "It's made like it's supposed to be - with fava beans, not chickpeas-and fried to a crisp golden brown"
City Noor
4714B N Kedzie Ave (between Leland & Lawrence Ave)
Chicago
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
My favorite falafel can be found at:

Olive Branch Express
9480 Waukegan Rd
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 966-0600

The most important thing about falafel is that they are fried during your wait. There is nothing worse than eating falafel that has been sitting around for a while. Great thread SW!

You can try the umpteen Arabic restaurants up and down North Kedzie St starting at Montrose and heading north up until just after Lawrence. I can't say that I've frequented many Arabic restaurants on the south side, but Mediterranean Grill at 8542 S Cicero Ave is also good. All the Pita Inn locations are wonderful as well.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Is Olive Branch Express the place that went into the old Taco Bell without the drivethru window? I'll have to try them this week when I'm up that way.

Pita Inn is the place which I usually frequent, but Waukegan Road is on my way home so that's better.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
There's a great middle eastern restaurant in Oak Park called Grapeleaves. Excellent falafel.

I remember when I was a student, there were some great places in Hyde Park for falafel.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Is Olive Branch Express the place that went into the old Taco Bell without the drivethru window? I'll have to try them this week when I'm up that way.

Pita Inn is the place which I usually frequent, but Waukegan Road is on my way home so that's better.
Yup, thats the place. .
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Dammit, youse guyz! Don't make me come out there for lunch ...

^ @:-)
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HHonors Silver
I suppose it was inevitable that my first post here would be about food.

I'm a big fan of Pita Inn as I don't get into the city anywhere near as often as I'd like. Does anyone remember Falafel King? I think they were in Skokie back in the Flintstone days when I first moved to Chicago.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Dammit, youse guyz! Don't make me come out there for lunch ...

^ @:-)
If you fly out just for lunch, I'll buy. Promise.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lioneljay
Hey, welcome to FT! Check out the Community forum, as Chicago FTers like to eat in groups and discuss miles and points and food.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:22 pm

Hey, welcome to FT! Check out the Community forum, as Chicago FTers like to eat in groups and discuss miles and points and food.
Thanks for the welcome. I've already spotted all those threads about eating in and around Chicago. I'd have signed on for the next Berghoff outing but I already have plans that night.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
If you fly out just for lunch, I'll buy. Promise.
Ah well, there's nothing more to be said about it then. Lemme see what's on my dancecard for mid April and get back to you. (This term is absolutely out of the question. )

Speaking of questions, here's one: If the falafel at Pita Inn is the bomb, does that mean that 1) the pita is freshly made on the premises; and 2) the tahini is the perfect balance of lemony tartness and sesame nuttiness? Because I'm warning y'alls, I will roll over and bark if Pita Inn can hit *that* trifecta. :drool:

Originally Posted by lioneljay
Second the warm welcome, elljay. Lucky you, living in the most underrated food city in the U.S., not to mention having plenty of mileage whores to dine with when the mood suits you.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 7, 2006 at 12:01 am
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Ah well, there's nothing more to be said about it then. Lemme see what's on my dancecard for mid April and get back to you. (This term is absolutely out of the question. )

Speaking of questions, here's one: If the falafel at Pita Inn is the bomb, does that mean that 1) the pita is freshly made on the premises; and 2) the tahini is the perfect balance of lemony tartness and sesame nuttiness? Because I'm warning y'alls, I will roll over and bark if Pita Inn can hit *that* trifecta. :drool:

Second the warm welcome, elljay. Lucky you, living in the most underrated food city in the U.S., not to mention having plenty of mileage whores to dine with when the mood suits you.
Thanks for the welcome.

Seems to me the only way to answer your question about the Pita Inn is to do the taste test yourself. After all, who's to say that my "perfect balance of lemony tartness and sesame nuttiness" might taste like ragged cardboard soaked in Maxwell House to you?

But if you do end up rolling over and barking, I promise to howl....with laughter.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Even though the miles don't post automatically sometimes due to interference by the manager , I still recommend Maza on 2748 N. Lincoln. Except for Fridays and Saturdays, you get 20 miles/$ through Rewards Network. That prize is good enough for me to put up with the non-autoposting BS that sometimes happens. Oh, and the food and atmosphere is good.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'm partial to the falafel at Pita Town on Milwaukee Ave in Niles.
Pita Town
9001 N Milwaukee Ave
Niles
I'm very very sad to announce that Pita Town is now a nice place to buy a new set of tires or rims for your car....
Went by on Sunday afternoon to try and fix a schwarma jones, and low and behold, no Pita Town.

Best wishes, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.