Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBQ in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
We now have a Weber a couple blocks from my office so I have been more than a few times for meals (lunch & dinner). If you at all charcoal grill yourself, Weber is a waste of time and $$$. If you don't grill then you will probably like it. That being said there are many more better tasting and better value restaurants to visit in Chicago before Weber if you have not been to the city in awhile.
thanks for the update....apologies for cross posting this in the dining forum aswell, but I got a bit confused about where this thread was located!

I have never been to Chicago before, which leads me to my next question actually. Plan to be there for 2 days in Feb & will then head down to Florida for a holiday. I know the weather will be cold, but is it too cold to do anything outdoors like exploring the city etc? Would I be confined to the indoors? I assume not as you good folks in Chicago must get on with life during the winter!!

As for the Weber restaurant, it sounds like it's good, just not the best available? Would it be a fun/busy place to visit on a weekend night?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
I know the weather will be cold [in Feb.], but is it too cold to do anything outdoors like exploring the city etc? Would I be confined to the indoors? I assume not as you good folks in Chicago must get on with life during the winter!!
Unfortunately, Chicago weather is not predictable. It could be very cold or fairly mild. It could snow a lot or not at all. It could be windy (making it seem much colder than the actual temp.) or not.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's really impossible to say. Besides, as you noted, "too cold" is subjective. Unless you're particularly sensitive to cold, the weather probably will be fine for exploring.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
thanks for the update....apologies for cross posting this in the dining forum aswell, but I got a bit confused about where this thread was located!

I have never been to Chicago before, which leads me to my next question actually. Plan to be there for 2 days in Feb & will then head down to Florida for a holiday. I know the weather will be cold, but is it too cold to do anything outdoors like exploring the city etc? Would I be confined to the indoors? I assume not as you good folks in Chicago must get on with life during the winter!!

As for the Weber restaurant, it sounds like it's good, just not the best available? Would it be a fun/busy place to visit on a weekend night?

Many thanks in advance.
You may want to look elsewhere in the Chicago forum for ideas on things to do, as well as checking out Metromix.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/?...tromix+chicago

There is also a Chicago version of Time Out.

If you know how to ice skate, you might want to rent a pair and skate at the ice rink right downtown in Millenium Park.

As you get closer to the time you're here, you may want to post something in the Community forum - we Chicago Flyertalkers are famous for getting together for lunch and an out of town guest is the best excuse of all. As an example, there is one this Friday.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...7&goto=newpost
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver

Many thanks in advance.
What you will do will greatly depend on where you will be staying. It is a big city, and many attractions are quite far apart in the suburbs. However, if staying downtown, there are many, many things to do at any time of year that can be accessed by public transport or taxi.

So, to get better guidance/advice, let loose a bit of info about your plans extant...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:55 am

thanks all. Sounds like the weather will be fine....my plan is to eat lots of 'Chicago food'...hence the question about the Weber place & do lots of shopping (perhaps also a blues bar one night) before heading down to Miami for some sun!

Will stay at the Peninsula as I hear good things about it.

As ever, the advice on this board has been great!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
thanks all. Sounds like the weather will be fine....my plan is to eat lots of 'Chicago food'...hence the question about the Weber place & do lots of shopping (perhaps also a blues bar one night) before heading down to Miami for some sun!

Will stay at the Peninsula as I hear good things about it.

As ever, the advice on this board has been great!
You'll have easy access to anything downtown. And the concierge will be able to provide wonderful restaurant recommendations for meals. If I might make some very Chicago-centric suggestions, make time for a Chicago-style pizza and hit a Chicago-style hot dog stand for lunch during your trip.

You'll have plenty to do downtown. Sightseeing by bus to catch the highlights is good, as is the Chicago river cruise or a "harbor" cruise (not sure if that will be running in Feb.

Museums are excellent, particularly the Art Museum. Also would recommend the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in nearby Oak Park if you are interested in architecture.

Definitely hit a blues club.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
thanks all. Sounds like the weather will be fine....
or not.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Another note on Lem's.

I will NOT NOT NOT ever again get the full slab. Not only is it nearly twice the price of the rib tips. The full slab is rather dry.

The rip tips on the other hand...yummy...Tasty and Tender.

--

Next up...Honey 1 which I guess is Arkansas style BBQ.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Originally Posted by chichow
What is Arkansas style BBQ and where is Honey 1? I have to go to Little Rock often for work, and I'd like to try it. Thanks.

Steve
Old May 28, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Lem's on State Street (around 59th) is now closed, a moment of silence please.......

Fortunately another location of Lems is open.

Lem's BBQ House
311 E 75th St
Chicago
773-994-2428
closed Tue
Good video story on BBQ ribs and how they're prepared, if it's too hot to BBQ your own this weekend...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...nts&id=4203337

Steve
Old May 29, 2006, 1:07 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Apparently, Arkansas-style is with a sweet, tomato based sauce. I've heard many nice things about Honey 1 from foodies -- it's all very fresh and very slowly cooked -- and it's now quite accessible since they moved from Austin to Bucktown's Western edge:

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/d...ining_top_heds

The "Slow Food Guide" says that the ribs take 3-4 hours over the smoker, and the chef really is from a family farm down on the Delta. I can't vouch for it myself, though, as most of my friends are vegetarian.

I grew up in eastern North Carolina and oddly, the best Carolina BBQ sandwich I've had -- shredded pork, vinegar-based sauce, no tomato whatsoever -- is the one at Trotter's to Go, complete with non-traditional napa cabbage and caramelized sweet onions. I laughed when I first saw it (visualizing Charlie spazzing out at a First Baptist Church pig pickin') but not when I tried it; every other "Carolina style" BBQ sandwich I've had since moving up north has had a smoky, sweet, dark red Texas-style sauce.

(Trotter's to Go at Fullerton & Southport and at the Equinox health club, Wells & Monroe.)
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:16 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paytonc
I can't vouch for it myself..
I'll vouch for it, some of the best ribs (rib tips for me please) on the north side of the city. None of that total mush fall off the bone crap.

There is better BBQ on the southside but with all the construction Honey 1 is a good alternative. ^

--
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chichow
A fellow FT'er did not have a good meal at Honey 1, see this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587276
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

the pitmaster from Barbara Ann's (which is again open BTW) has his own place now called Uncle John's BBQ, I liked the old Barbara Ann's so I guess even with the crappy construction traffic I'll have to make a trip to the s. side.

Uncle John's BBQ
337 E 69th @ Prarie Ave
Lunch & Dinner

--
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
I was in town this weekend and ate at Fireplace which had some baby back ribs I really liked. If nothing else, it's a convenient location to some good entertainment options. Second City is just a block away and always has great comedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.