Wiki Posts
Search

BBQ in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2002, 5:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sorry Chi-town BBQ fans, it has been awhile since I've dined on BBQ in our area.

I've wanted to try the Smoke Country House BBQ at 1465 W. Irving Park for a long time.

Finally tried it this evening.

Terrible, not bad, but terrible!!!!
I had the Country Platter which is a sampler of the ribs, brisket, pork and turkey.

First of all the whole plate was swimming in BBQ sauce, almost had to fish for the meats.

Ribs were spareribs and were very tough.
Brisket was sliced very thin and lacked any flavor.
Turkey tasted like someone took a turkey roast, sliced it and threw it into the "bowl" of sauce on my plate.
Pork was great texture, but that is the only thing good I can say about it.

As stated, just terrible.

This place used to be called the NN Smokehouse and I had always heard good things about it. I know this location had been closed for awhile, I'm guessing that there are new owners.

Unfortunately for them, they do not know how to do BBQ.

DO NOT GO!
Old Nov 27, 2002, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
SweetWillie, it's been years since I went there (my ex-boss adored the place), but have you been to Merle's in Evanston lately? I always thought highly of it back when they first opened (not that it was necessarily authentic, but it was good) but that was before the original owner passed away. Then I moved, and nobody I know that still lives in Evanston likes BBQ...
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
....but have you been to Merle's in Evanston lately?</font>
If Merle's is the place I'm thinking of, on the north side of Evanston, a southern food/BBQ mix type place, then no I have not been, but it is on my list to go before my project in Evanston comes to an end.

I'm leery of going to a southern food/bbq mix after my very mediocre experience at the Dixie Bait Shop. Merle's kind of looks like the same type of place.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:44 am

Merle's is some of the best bbq I've had in chicago (evanston). Avoid it on NU sports game days or you might get exactly the same feeling of chain-ness that you are trying to avoid (think BW3 every night). Most of the time its heavy on the locals, especially at the bar. But I make the drive from the city for merles when I feel the need for some bbq.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:51 am
Original Poster

visited Merle's today. Had the trio of BBQ sandwiches.

Buns were stale, but I was more interested in the q.

Chicken was mediocre, but then again, I'm not a fan of pit chicken when chicken grilled is so good IMO.

Beef was interesting, good, but not near a Texas style brisket. A little to finely shredded for my taste.

The pork was the best in Chicago, hands down IMO. Really enjoyed it.

Had two sides with the meal, Lexington slaw and mashed potato salad. Lexington slaw is a vinegar based slaw and was very tangy. The mashed potato salad had way too much cumin (I believe) that overpowered every other taste.

The pork I will go back for. While it does not live up to the BBQ standards for the SE US, it is VERY good for Chicago.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 12-06-2002).]
Old Dec 17, 2002, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Not even going to go into my normal detail.

Dined at the Smokey Bones BBQ in Schaumburg today. STAY AWAY!!!!!

http://www.smokeybones.com/
Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:58 pm

Smokey Joe's is the newest offshoot of Darden (olive garden, red lobster) so I can only assume the worst.

Have you tried Smokedaddy on Division (west of ashland, east of Damen). Ribs are OK, chicken is terrible but I remember the pulled pork and brisket to be pretty good. And so are the french fries.

Apparently they have recently changed owners. Hopefully that doesnt have a negative effect on the food.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

it has been awhile since I posted a BBQ review, but here goes.

So I’m on the way to the vet w/my dog to board her today. I always like to give her a really good walk before she gets put in the kennel for a few days. As she is in this grassy field, I look up and see Bobby Q’s. I assume it is a BBQ place and go in. My hunch is correct and I order a three combo of beef brisket, pulled pork and links. It is early so I’m the only one in the restaurant, I start talking to the chef/owner’s wife. I ask how the chef got his pork and brisket knowledge. She mentioned them living in FL and her husband loving bbq all his life (who hasn’t is what I thought) and then learning how to cook w/a smoker. She showed me some sauce awards they had won, one of the awards was a top 10 in the nation. On to the food.

Brisket was sliced way thin and not smoked enough. She had mentioned they did not want to have a heavy smoke brisket in case they would turn off the northern customer. Too bad because it needed the heavier smoke flavor. Good and tender though.

Links were firm w/a good bite. Good food.

The pulled pork was my favorite though, dare I say my favorite to date in Chicago, but then again this is Chicago/the north so that is not really saying much. Do yourself a favor and ask for the sauce off. Again, the pork could use more smoke flavor but it was very enjoyable.

Sides of mashed potato (real) and slaw were good, mac n’ cheese was ok.

They also smoke/cook bone in turkey and bone in ham. I’ll try those at some point.

Bobby Q’s
1279 N. Rand Road
Prospect Crossing Shopping Center
Arlington Hts, IL
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by charles:
Have you tried Smokedaddy on Division (west of ashland, east of Damen). Ribs are OK, chicken is terrible but I remember the pulled pork and brisket to be pretty good. And so are the french fries. </font>
Tried Smoke Daddy BBQ today for lunch.

Smoke Daddy occupies a divey spot on west Division street. There are 10 tables for outdoor seating which was great as today was glorious out.

Ordered the Combo BBQ platter, I chose the pork and beef. Also ordered a ½ slab of ribs.

Sides were cornbread, coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

Sauces on the side at Smoke Daddy include a dark heavy sweet molasses, a zippy light tomato and hot/vinegar sauce that was mostly hot.

The beef is supposedly brisket but was chopped, not slices like I like it. Pork was shredded and had a very heavy spice flavor to it almost like a version of Spanish stew I make. Both meats were fine, but affirm my belief that the Chicago area does not make good/great pulled pork or brisket. If one has traveled and partook of a brisket in Texas or pulled pork in the Carolinas, you will know I speak the truth.

Ribs were ok, chewy (but I like them like that), they had the heavy sweet molasses sauce on them.

Smoke Daddy is good if you are looking to cure a long time fix you’ve had, but is not great BBQ.

My favorite item were the sweet potato fries w/the heavy sweet molasses sauce.

Smoke Daddy
1804 W. Division Street
Chicago
773.772.MOJO
http://www.smokedaddy.com
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Gale Street Inn

On my way back to my office today, I passed by Gale Street Inn. I was in a BBQ mood today and have always wanted to try GSI’s ribs as they are often mentioned as one of the best rib places in Chicago.

Stopped at the bar and ordered a slab.

Ribs were good, good flavor/good texture. Sauce was decent. I may have overhyped myself after for years reading positive press, but I failed to see why GSI is in the top 10 of rib places for Chicago.

Gale Street Inn
Address/hours/info: http://www.galestreet.com/index1.html
Old Sep 6, 2003, 9:36 am

Sweet Willie,

Many, many moons ago used to live within a short walk from Gale Street Inn. My wife and I always wanted to try the ribs, but we did not for the longest time solely because of the long lines. Instead we went to the corner and ate at St. George and the Dragon if I remember correctly. We were happy going their until we finally got a table at the Gale Street Inn. Gale Street Inn was much, much better and could never return to St. George and the Dragon. St. George and the Dragon subsequently burnt down to the ground.

Although we enjoyed this Gale Street Inn, I would not go out of my way for it.

Their is a 2nd Gale Street Inn in Mundelin. Think it is under seperate ownership from the orignal. Haven't gone for a couple of years. The food is OK. What really makes the place is that its on a lake, you can eat outside or inside with a beautiful view.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 6:57 am
Original Poster

In case you can’t tell, I’ve been on a rib/bbq tear lately. So when a buddy in from out of town mentioned that he had switched to a later flight at O’Hare and asked where we should go for ribs,
I mentioned Twin Anchors which is kind of on the way to O’Hare from downtown.

Twin Anchors used to be a speakeasy and it is a very cool setting, big circular booths up front where the bar is. They even have some limited outdoor seating, but my buddy felt like lounging/eating at the bar, which I guess is a no-no but we were there early enough they let us do it anyway. He’s from LA anyways so he doesn’t value the chance to eat/be outdoors like I do (being a Chicagoan).

Onto the food, we split a slab w/the “zesty” sauce which is really not zesty at all, some onion rings, a side of slaw comes w/the ribs.

The rib bones were able to be pulled out w/o taking any meat, not always a good sign in my book as I like some chewyness to my ribs. The first part of tasting the meat was a good pork flavor and the sauce, and then came through a boiled meat flavor. I asked if they par-boiled the ribs and was told no, but I’ve done ribs many many different ways at home and I’m very sure they par-boil as the taste is pretty unmistakable. Buddy had the same opinion. Ribs are better than what I had recently at Gale Street Inn, but are for sure not my favorite in Chicago.

Onion rings were normal, ok rings. Slaw was a small portion, good though.

Go for drinks and a burger here as the place is a very neat/cool place to have a drink/bite, better ribs are elsewhere.

Twin Anchors
1655 N. Sedgewick St.
Chicago
312-266-1616
Old Sep 10, 2003, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I was trying a Johnnie’s Italian beef in Elmwood Park when I drove north on Thatcher and bumped into Russell’s. Seeing as I was on a food quest today and I love BBQ, I stopped in.

Sampled the beef sandwich, pork sandwich and ½ slab ribs.

Horrible, horrible stuff, ALL of it.

I found out the beef is a top sirloin (what??!! For BBQ??!!), sliced thin and BBQ sauce put on top. YUCK.

Pork is a pork loin, cooked and sliced thin w/BBQ sauce put on top. YUCK.

Ribs were stringy, swear they tasted as if they had been fried. Just not good. YUCK.

Stay away. Now that I think about it, I believe there is a Russell’s on Algonquin in Rolling Meadows as well.

Russell's Barbecue
1621 N. Thatcher Ave
Elmwood Park
708-453-7065
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Ok Sweet Willie, I am going to put you to the test.

Here are some BBQ joints I know of:

Pizza Ribs and Things: 103rd & King Drive
Spice is Nice: 105th and Halsted
George's: 147th St in Dixmoor
Leon's : 83rd and Cottage Grove
The Patio: There are 2 locations (89th and Harlem in Bridgeview and 7700 W. 159th St. in Tinley Park)

But my absolute fave is DD&S BBQ on 71st and Cottage Grove.

Carson's is OK, but they tend to kind of overcook the ribs. Their chicken is pretty good, though.

SW, I am a firm believer that the sauce is an integral component of the BBQ. Do you agree?
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PrinzII:
SW, I am a firm believer that the sauce is an integral component of the BBQ. Do you agree?</font>
For "northern" BBQ, I would agree.

However a texas brisket if done right, sauce is an afterthought. The same could be said for pulled pork in the Carolinas but then I like the various mustard, tomato or vinegar sauces that are served. There are also dry BBQ's, not all is wet. Although I will state that gernerally I'm a sauce loving guy.

You mentioned Leon's, way back when Leon's had an outpost (take out only) on Clark just north of Fullerton. Man I miss that place, best Que on the northside for years IMO. I did take out from the a S side Leons and it was good as I remember.

The others that I did not have on my list are now there, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.