Search

BBQ in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:55 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
I've been to Smoque a few times. While their brisket is not as good as I've had in Texas obviously, it's miles better than anything I've ever found around here and I would definitely rate it as good.
agreed, I don't think Smoque would make any headlines in Texas with their brisket but it is ok for Chicago seeing as most brisket in Chicago is crap.

The pulled pork was better than expected^
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
The pulled pork was better than expected^
Does Sweet Willie enjoy our imu roasted kalua pua'a? I bet he does! When you comin' back for a visit?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by kaukau
Does Sweet Willie enjoy our imu roasted kalua pua'a? I bet he does! When you comin' back for a visit?
I agree with Willie's (I was one of his lunch companions today) assessment. The brisket was OK, the pulled pork was very good. I really linked the vinegar based bbq sauce and cole slaw (also made with vinegar and sugar instead of mayo). They also have a very rich macaroni and cheese side (or bbq beans or corn bread). One should have seen Willie's eyes light up when the guy next to us got a slab of ribs.

I even like the kalua pork at the City Deli in the AA terminal at HNL! That is alway the first stop upon arrival before heading over to the HA terminal!

Last edited by ILuvParis; Nov 7, 2007 at 3:14 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I even like the kalua pork at the City Deli in the AA terminal at HNL! That is alway the first stop upon arrival before heading over to the HA terminal!
^ ^ That's the way to travel!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

One should have seen Willie's eyes light up when the guy next to us got a slab of ribs.
kind of like yours ? I think we both were thinking, we'll maybe we could go for seconds^
Originally Posted by kaukau
Does Sweet Willie enjoy our imu roasted kalua pua'a? When you comin' back for a visit?
IMO pork is food of the Gods, so yes.^

As far as coming back, we've been spoiled the past few years, have been to all the islands (except the forbidden isle). We love the islands but there are so many other places to experience in this world that I've put a mandate that we can't go back for awhile. However I am in the running to earn another free HI trip from the company I work for, so I might end up eating my own words.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Forbes article on Chicago BBQ Thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...-barbeque.html

--
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:33 pm

I'm not sure whether this should be bumped or a new thread started. If the latter, the mods can do their thing.

A plethora of new BBQ joints have opened in recent months and I went to one of them today for lunch - actually it just opened a couple of days ago - County Barbeque on Taylor almost at Loomis. It's a DMK restaurant.

One of us had a pulled pork sandwich, the other the Kansas City Bunt ends sandwich (I was concerned and asked about the amount of work to eat it - but it's just the meaty ends of smoked St. Louis ribs - without any bone, cartilage, gristle, or fat). The meat on both sandwiches was outstanding. However, neither of us liked any of the 3 sauces available (one mustard based two vinegar, one spicier than the other). Luckily, you can get the meat without the sauce and try each and use the one you like best.

The sandwiches come with subtle garlic fries and the pulled pork comes with a vinegar based cole slaw. Fries good, cole slaw was OK (and I do like vinegar based cole slaw). We got a side order of corn pudding, the best thing we ate. It's almost the consistency of a very moist crumbly corn bread - topped with scallions.

The next time, I think I'll get an order of the burnt ends and bring them home and pour on the Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy. They were really good - just not with that sauce.

http://dmkcountybarbeque.com/
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:14 pm
glg

the other the Kansas City Bunt ends sandwich (I was concerned and asked about the amount of work to eat it - but it's just the meaty ends of smoked St. Louis ribs - without any bone, cartilage, gristle, or fat).
Say what? Burnt Ends is brisket, not ribs.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by glg
Actually, I should have been more specific. There were PORK burnt ends. And I'm pretty sure he said it was cut from the St. Louis ribs - perhaps that skirt flap next to the actual ribs?

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by glg
From the menu:
SANDWICHES
BRISKET, CHOPPED ............................... 9
VEAL BRISKET......................................... 10
KANSAS CITY BURNT ENDS
PORK OR BRISKET........................................ 9
CHICKEN, CHOPPED ............................... 8
SMOKED BACON &
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES.................. 10
You get pickles & fries
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:34 pm
glg

Okay, then they don't know what the hell they're talking about. There is no such thing as Kansas City Burnt Ends being made out of pork.

David Morton can go anyway for what he did to Pompei

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2013 at 11:16 am Reason: language
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by glg
Okay, then they don't know what the hell they're talking about. There is no such thing as Kansas City Burnt Ends being made out of pork.

David Morton can go anyway for what he did to Pompei
I spent a good time on google today. Apparently, quite a few other people don't know what they're talking about either. What I had trouble finding was what cut of meat they're from. A lot of people seem to think it's butt, but I'm sure the guy said it's from the St. Louis ribs.

At any rate, can you tell me what I ate yesterday then?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2013 at 11:16 am Reason: quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:43 pm
glg

I spent a good time on google today. Apparently, quite a few other people don't know what they're talking about either. What I had trouble finding was what cut of meat they're from. A lot of people seem to think it's butt, but I'm sure the guy said it's from the St. Louis ribs.
Like you said earlier, if it's off st louis ribs, that's a rib tip, not a burnt end.

At any rate, can you tell me what I ate yesterday then?
turkey?

Last edited by glg; Jul 22, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Tried Wrigley BBQ at 3555 N. Broadway for the first time last week.

I judge most BBQ places by the quality of their brisket, and this was no different. They offer both chopped and sliced -- I opted for the latter. While the beef was chopped well, the meat itself was a little too fatty/slimy for my taste, and lacked a distinctive flavor. I'm not sure if the preparation process that caused the sliminess was the cause, but it was underwhelming.

The platter came with two sides, so I tried the mac and cheese and the jalapeņo corn bread. Both were fine, but the portions were barely large enough for two bites of each. The overall meal size was filling without being too much, but felt overpriced at almost $14 -- a meal from Smoque will run you just as much, but leave you with enough leftovers for another meal.

There were a few bright spots. They offer a variety of housemade sauces -- of the 3 I tried, the Texas Habanero was my favorite, but the other two were good as well. Service was also quick and friendly, and is just a few blocks from Wrigley should you have the misfortune of being in the neighborhood.

Based on the size of the crowd I saw when I was there, I may give the pork a chance another time, as I have a hard time believing everything is as disappointing as my experience.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Traveling to Chicago soon, will be located in Mag Mile

any good bbq places in that area any FTers highly recommended

seems my searches only show those located pretty far away from there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.