The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Any good Indonesian restaurants?
It's a much-lamented fact that Chicago is sorely lacking in the Indonesian food restaurant. Within the city proper, you have 1.5 choices: Rickshaw Republic in Lincoln Park and an occasional pop up called The Rice Table that does rijsttafel.

People raved about Rickshaw when it opened, but I'll be honest: I wasn't impressed. Granted, most of my experience with Indonesian food has been at rijsttafel restaurants in the Netherlands (meaning I've had some fantastic meals, but I'm not eating it every week), but it just didn't wow me. Hard to say whether the raves were well deserved or simply a result of people's exuberance at finally having any semblance of an Indonesian restaurant in town. I'll note that in writing this post, I see that Rickshaw now offers rijsttafel, so maybe I should give it another chance.

Another restaurant trivia fact: We also do not have any Portuguese restaurants in town, but we have a fantastic Macanese place -- Fat Rice -- that has dishes heavily influenced by the Portuguese. (In fact, I think part of the reason I was so disappointed by Rickshaw was because I ate there the day after my inaugural trip to Fat Rice.) If you go, I'll warn you that the neighborhood looks a little run down. Don't let that discourage you. Also, no reservations at Fat Rice and wait times can be 1 hour or more.

Richshaw Republic
2312 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 697-4750

Fat Rice
2957 W Diversey Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 661-9170
Old May 2, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I once went to a little Indonesian place a couple blocks off the main drag in Chinatown, but it would not surprise me to hear it went under.

A rijstafel DO would be awesome.

What I like about Chicago pizza is that toppings like pepperoni and sausage are covered up, so they don't turn into little leathery dried-up jobs in the oven.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:22 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I once went to a little Indonesian place a couple blocks off the main drag in Chinatown, but it would not surprise me to hear it went under.

A rijstafel DO would be awesome.

What I like about Chicago pizza is that toppings like pepperoni and sausage are covered up, so they don't turn into little leathery dried-up jobs in the oven.
There used to be Penang in Chinatown, but burned down, I think, and was never reopened. But it was on or near the corner by the Chinatown gate, so I suspect we're thinking of different places.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by glg
If you want to be up high, hit the bar at the Signature Room in the Hancock. The drinks are overpriced, but the view is spectacular and at least you're getting a drink instead of paying just to ride the elevator. Oh, and my wife says to visit the ladies room, it has windows (none in the mens )
For a men's room with a view, try using the one upstairs at Chicago Shakespeare Theater. It's on the same level as their studio theater.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Lastly: If you find yourself hankering for a deep dish pizza outside of Chicago Do NOT ever go to an Uno's pizzeria & grill franchise (www.unos.com ), it is an abomination franchise chain of the original Pizzeria Uno's (which is excellent & can be found at 29 E Ohio, one block north of Pizzeria Uno is Pizzeria Due which also serves excellent pan pizza like Pizzeria Uno's)
Luckily, in my early 20's, about 25 years ago, I spent 2+ months driving around the United States. I spent a few days in Chicago, and one of my splurges was $12 for a huge deep dish pizza. At the time, that was my meal money for at least a day, but I never regretted it.

I did have a standard deep dish delivered from Pizano's Pizza to the Hyatt, but it just honestly sucked. I threw half of it away.

I have eaten at chain Uno's a few times, but I pretty much knew they weren't real Chicago pizza. Thanks for the tips, though. I should have listened to everyone's recommendations at the Hyatt. The Concierge was so exuberant about the restaurant, but I should know better than to trust a vegetarian!
Old May 2, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by u2fan
Another good choice (in the Lincoln Square Area) is Sticky Rice:

Reviews are solid: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sticky-rice-chicago

http://stickyricethai.com/

In addition, they deliver to Half Acre. ( For those not familiar, Half Acre does not have a kitchen so they encourage you to bring your food. They have a binder of menus on each table but I have yet to see one for Sticky Rice so you may have to pull them up on your phone.)
Nice. Sticky Rice delivered to Half Acre sounds like a killer combination. Definitely one to plan for....

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by linglingfool
... or sit in strictly-enforced silence at the legendary Green Mill in Uptown.

I'll second this recommendation. Keep in mind that concerts are not just on weekends -- Millennium Park has their free concerts on Mondays and Thursdays, and Ravinia has a show nearly every night during the peak of summer.
If you like the 'Green Mill' - and you like free (who doesn't ?), the Green Mill has free comedy every Saturday afternoon:

http://thepapermacheteshow.com/about/
Old May 3, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Nice. Sticky Rice delivered to Half Acre sounds like a killer combination. Definitely one to plan for....

Thanks!
Half Acre beer all kinda tastes the same to me. I once met a guy who was an assistant brewmaster there and asked him about it. His response was that they use the same yeast for all recipes. This was maybe 18 months ago, so it may have changed.

It's definitely not standard practice, from what I can tell.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by u2fan
If you like the 'Green Mill' - and you like free (who doesn't ?), the Green Mill has free comedy every Saturday afternoon:

http://thepapermacheteshow.com/about/
Are you... allowed to laugh?
Old May 4, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
And the women's

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
For a men's room with a view, try using the one upstairs at Chicago Shakespeare Theater. It's on the same level as their studio theater.
The women's room here has fantastic views too!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:33 pm

This thread is great, thank you!

I'm heading to Chicago with my partner for labor day weekend. I visited fifteen years ago but he has never been, and we are discussing itinerary. We're staying at the Radisson Blu Aqua and will definitely be going to the Art Institute, the labor day Cubs game, Millenium park for jazz fest, and the architectural foundation boat tour. We're still debating restaurants / bars. I've heard good things about the Green Mill and remember being amazed by the view from the Hancock building (but annoyed at the wait). Signature Room also gets terrible food reviews.

Any other recommendations for restaurants? Bike tour a good idea? Will Navy Pier be crazy that weekend? Hancock building worth the wait for drinks? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by andyonthego
Any other recommendations for restaurants? Bike tour a good idea? Will Navy Pier be crazy that weekend? Hancock building worth the wait for drinks? Thanks!
Restaurant selection is too great to provide generic recommendations. Are you into Michelin-rated places, local ethnic eateries, or specific cuisine? Help us out, narrow the field a bit!

Hancock lounge doesn't always have a wait; in fact, I don't recall the last time I waited in line to get into the lounge. Early afternoon or late night should be fine. Drinks are expensive, but I usually take visitors there for one or two, just for the view.

Navy Pier will be crazy if the weather is good. And, speaking of weather, a bike tour is also a good idea if the weather is good. I don't know if I would recommend an organized tour - never been on one - but renting a CityBike is a great and expensive way to see the city and burn off some of that deep dish pizza.

ETA: Of course I meant to say, "inexpensive way to see the city" above.

Last edited by legalalien; Aug 13, 2014 at 11:28 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
There used to be Penang in Chinatown, but burned down, I think, and was never reopened...
It was mainly Malaysian, with a Sushi section. We like it and were regular visitors. When they closed, apparently due to a fire, I kept waiting for it to open, but sadly that never happened.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by aktchi
It was mainly Malaysian, with a Sushi section. We like it and were regular visitors. When they closed, apparently due to a fire, I kept waiting for it to open, but sadly that never happened.
They've reopened ... in the 'burbs. Not sure it's the same people, but the decor seems similar. Sweet Willie might know more.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
* Speaking of food, you can wash it down with some fantastic local craft beers. Goose Island was our original craft brewery, and even though it's been sold to Anheuser-Busch, its brewpubs are still turning out fantastic beers that will never be bottled and sold in stores. But we have a ton of great craft breweries, including Revolution, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Bergyle, Haymarket, DryHop and more.
Elsewhere in this forum I just posted a review of the gigantic new Chicago Lagunitas Brewery. A lot of fun.

Not far away is Three Floyds in Munster, IN, truly one of the great breweries in the world. Their flagship beer, Zombie Dust, is considered the very best hoppy Pale Ale on earth and IMO cannot be improved upon. Unfortunately, they have a somewhat non-customer-friendly vibe and the employees are mostly young heavily-tattooed slacker doofuses. But some the beer really is exceptional. People fly here from Europe to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.