Reload this Page >

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
Thats what I know, you know the Midwest Airlines convention center was renamed the Frontier Airlines center and then it was renamed the Delta Airlines Center for a litttle bit just after Frontier took their name away. If it was named the Delta Center then its obvious that Delta would've taken over the former YX/F9 flights:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...41.html?ipad=y
I think you are reading too much into that and also taking a logic leap. Delta, at that time, did want to up its market share and wanted to get as many of those former Midwest/Frontier flyers as it could. But, there was never a plan to duplicate the network. DL did upgrade some service into NYC and it did upgauge more flights to ATL.

Spending money out of the marketing budget to slap your name on a building doesn't mean you are going to duplicate a failed airline(s) network.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I think you are reading too much into that and also taking a logic leap. Delta, at that time, did want to up its market share and wanted to get as many of those former Midwest/Frontier flyers as it could. But, there was never a plan to duplicate the network. DL did upgrade some service into NYC and it did upgauge more flights to ATL.

Spending money out of the marketing budget to slap your name on a building doesn't mean you are going to duplicate a failed airline(s) network.
Agreed.

In other news, F9 is starting up 1x daily MKE-LAS in late October. On some dates the F9 "classic plus" fare (which includes 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag) is up to $50 less than WN (all-in r/t), while on other dates the F9 fare is actually up to $20 more than WN. WN has kept this route relatively steady at about $400-425 R/T for advance purchases and while I would love to see a "fare war," it's not happening yet.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:45 am

AA has added new gate counters to D54/55, construction on the new jet bridge additions should be starting soon.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by kannon99
AA has added new gate counters to D54/55, construction on the new jet bridge additions should be starting soon.
Lines were also painted including D53. They may be planning some swing gates in the interim. Or just making sure paint is there before weather prevents doing it.

Edit corrected to D53

Last edited by traveller001; Aug 30, 2015 at 2:58 am
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Lines were also painted including D43. They may be planning some swing gates in the interim. Or just making sure paint is there before weather prevents doing it.
Interesting -- Delta uses D43 routinely. I would have figured D41 or D44 would be more likely as temporary gates for AA. D41 has been Frontier's overflow gate, and with their fall schedule there's fair chance they could have two planes on the ground at once, but for the most part D41 is idle.

With AA consolidating on D I wonder if UA will ultimately move back to C or if that will be Southwest only.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by knope2001
Interesting -- Delta uses D43 routinely. I would have figured D41 or D44 would be more likely as temporary gates for AA. D41 has been Frontier's overflow gate, and with their fall schedule there's fair chance they could have two planes on the ground at once, but for the most part D41 is idle.

With AA consolidating on D I wonder if UA will ultimately move back to C or if that will be Southwest only.
D53 as I mistyped. D51 is used by SW/Alaskan. UA is probably moving to C. No idea how the airport is going to handle the leases from vendors on E if it's mothballed.

MKE is lacking an airport director yet again. So who knows? It's IMO starting to look like the inmates run the asylum along with County Executive meddling. Crash course ahead... predicted nobody will take the job.

Last edited by traveller001; Aug 30, 2015 at 3:20 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:08 am

D53 as I mistyped. D51 is used by SW/Alaskan.
Ahh -- got it. Glad it isn't actually 43.

D UA is probably moving to C. No idea how the airport is going to handle the leases from vendors on E if it's mothballed.
I'd like to see UA take four gates on either the C stem or the D stem (with jetway modifications at D34/36/38) -- whichever they don't go to will have that "empty" look. I think all the airline leases expire at the end of the year so some shuffling is quite possible. Don't know if vendor leases coincide or what sort of out clauses / penalties there are.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I agree. It looks a little forlorn to walk through the abandoned gates on D to get to the crowd at DL. Not the best way to show off the airport.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 am

In my theory it's most likely UA would leave E and take the former AA gates. Alternatively UA would stay in E and WN would get those two gates for more flights? But they could still leave E and move to D but those four jetbridges on gates D30, D34, D36 and D38 I don't think are cabable of RJ's.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
In my theory it's most likely UA would leave E and take the former AA gates. Alternatively UA would stay in E and WN would get those two gates for more flights? But they could still leave E and move to D but those four jetbridges on gates D30, D34, D36 and D38 I don't think are cabable of RJ's.
D30 was replaced a few years back with a mobile jetway but D34/36/38 can't handle small RJ's. United/Air Canada make it work with three gates today (not always so well given their flight volume and ATC delays) but I'd hope they'd take four gates.

I have definite mixed feelings on UA/AC's optimal destination. I would like to see them vacate E and that eventually turned into international arrivals. Though security at E is a breeze, amenities are few and E is highly utilized. UA/AC would likely go either to the stem of C (AA and former UA gates) or the stem of D (30-38). Having them move to D would remedy the abandoned look of the D stem since Frontier consolidated in the hammerhead in 2010 or 2011. But when AA leaves C the stem of that concourse will look awfully empty, and French Meadow and Collectivo will both suffer.

One difference is that the "30s" gates on D don't really have any backroom space nearby. If someone moved there (like UA/AA) either some unused spaced would need to be walled off to make office space ($$) or they'd need to live with the inconvenience of backroom space not being close to their gates, like under the D hammerhead.

In theory having more gates for WN seems great, but they don't need more gates at the moment and could grow a bunch before needing them. I think leases are up 12/31/2015 and if anything I could see Southwest signing up for fewer gates...maybe just the 8 in the C hammerhead itself...rather than more. Now of course I would like for Southwest to at least keep their holdings, but I don't envision them asking the airport for all of C.

This winter/spring it appears AeroMexico is returning and Sunwing will come to MKE to assume some of the winter sun flying which Frontier operated last year. Even though Alaska only has one flight I don't envision either one using D51 as flight times conflict. So perhaps those flights can use D30 and bring some activity to that part of D.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:41 pm

Tomorrow AA will be combining operations on D.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:30 am

Out this morning on DL. It looks combined now.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
For the time being, AA is using D30 for ORD flights and D53 for DFW flights. The US gates are still D56 for PHX and D52 for PHL/CLT.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Jet bridges from C9,11 have been moved over to D54/55
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kannon99
Jet bridges from C9,11 have been moved over to D54/55
So nothing will ever be at C9 or C11? Is WN taking over the former AA gates in C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.