Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt visa on arrival questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Egypt visa on arrival questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Egypt visa on arrival questions

A few questions about visa on arrival in Cairo, for when my wife and I arrive there next week:

1. Is the process as simple as just getting on line at a bank and buying the stamp at $25 per person? And should we simply go to whichever bank has the shortest line?
2. Are there certain bank lines that are for money changing as opposed to visa stamps?
3. We're actually going to be in and out of Egypt twice in a period of about three days. Am I correct in assuming that we need to go through the visa on arrival process twice?

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
A few questions about visa on arrival in Cairo, for when my wife and I arrive there next week:

1. Is the process as simple as just getting on line at a bank and buying the stamp at $25 per person? And should we simply go to whichever bank has the shortest line?
2. Are there certain bank lines that are for money changing as opposed to visa stamps?
3. We're actually going to be in and out of Egypt twice in a period of about three days. Am I correct in assuming that we need to go through the visa on arrival process twice?

Thanks for any help!
1. yes: really! And, generally, there really isn't much of a line. The transaction takes only a couple of minutes.

2. not that I'm aware of: I think all the banks in the pre-immigration area sell visa stickers. Probably a good idea to kill two birds and change cash as well. Hand over, say, $100 and you'll get two visas and $50-worth of EGP. Stick the visas in the passport and read for the immigration lines. Simple as that.

3. Nothing preventing you from buying two visas stickers, though probably best to keep the second one separate i.e. don't stick it in the passport until your second visit.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Increase in Egypt visa cost alert:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCont.../258816/-.aspx
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:22 am

Hi Folks,
I just want to confirm. I have a layover in Cairo for 16 hrs. And would like to sight see..
Are there any transit fee? No need for visa as long as I can provide onward ticket to next destination?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris101
Hi Folks,
I just want to confirm. I have a layover in Cairo for 16 hrs. And would like to sight see..
Are there any transit fee? No need for visa as long as I can provide onward ticket to next destination?

Thanks in advance.
Unless there are special circumstances you'll have to get a visa if you enter Egypt, rather than remain airside. Obtaining the visa is simple and fast: it costs just $25. You buy the visa (a sticker to place on a passport page) from any of the bank widows just before the immigration counters.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:19 am

That leads me to my 2nd question. It says here egypt is no longer doing visa on arrival. Has this been change?

http://www.traveladept.com/updates-visa-egypt/

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Unless there are special circumstances you'll have to get a visa if you enter Egypt, rather than remain airside. Obtaining the visa is simple and fast: it costs just $25. You buy the visa (a sticker to place on a passport page) from any of the bank widows just before the immigration counters.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris101
That leads me to my 2nd question. It says here egypt is no longer doing visa on arrival. Has this been change?

http://www.traveladept.com/updates-visa-egypt/
That was old news. Never happened. It was overruled, killed off, dead in the water.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:14 pm

Thank you Ian.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
1. yes: really! And, generally, there really isn't much of a line. The transaction takes only a couple of minutes.

2. not that I'm aware of: I think all the banks in the pre-immigration area sell visa stickers. Probably a good idea to kill two birds and change cash as well. Hand over, say, $100 and you'll get two visas and $50-worth of EGP. Stick the visas in the passport and read for the immigration lines. Simple as that.

3. Nothing preventing you from buying two visas stickers, though probably best to keep the second one separate i.e. don't stick it in the passport until your second visit.
A belated thanks for this very useful reply. We in fact did what you suggested re #3, buying all four visas at one time, and it worked out fine.

FWIW, on our first pass through Cairo (arriving T1) we stayed overnight at Le Meridien Airport hotel and our passage was facilitated by a rep of the hotel who met us [I] before[I] Immigration. On our second pass (arriving T3) we managed the very easy process ourselves.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and More, Flying Blue, VA, Accor
Egypt / Cairo Visa on Arrival

I was wondering, are the visas on arrival cash only or can I use a card (or ATM) when I arrive?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LJOP
I was wondering, are the visas on arrival cash only or can I use a card (or ATM) when I arrive?
You buy the visa at a bank window: easier just to have some cash wth you - they'll accept just about anything and give you the change in EGP.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and More, Flying Blue, VA, Accor
You buy the visa at a bank window: easier just to have some cash wth you - they'll accept just about anything and give you the change in EGP.
Thanks, I will bring some GBP/USD.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:28 pm

Cash only!!! No credit card and no Egyptian Pounds from the ATM. Found out the hard way. Had to wait for a fellow American with extra USD to trade our EGP for USD. Makes sense now. Govt. needs foreign currency.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LJOP
Thanks, I will bring some GBP/USD.
And it's the sensible way to get EGP. The bank gives the regular exchange rate, so you solve any need for immediate cash by handing over £50 (whatever) and getting your visa and a fistful of notes. There are multiple banks handling such transactions, rarely much of a queue, or any at all; and its a painless process over in a couple of minutes.

I've never ever detected any inconsistency in these transactions. But always best to check the receipt you get and the cost taken for the visa.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:18 am

Hello,
I have a question : can we buy stickers for Egypt visas in an israeli airport ? Because our flight is at OUVA ( in Israel) and our hotel is in TABA ( near the border) in Egypt.
I've red so many forums and sites, everywhere said that the visa is taken in the airport, but , probably, one of Egypt...
Thank you for the answer
Gabi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.