Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt visa on arrival questions

Egypt visa on arrival questions

Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
offtopic: I have 2 extra SingleEntry EG Visas official stamps that i can offer in DXB if anyone needs faster arrival process at CAI.
Those were legally purchased legally @CAI airport Visa counter (T2) when i was commuting there often.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:24 am

According to what I know, E.visa is still not available in Egypt, if you are US, EU, AU, UK, Canada citizen, you will get upon arrival for like 25$ per visa
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Looks like the eVisa application is live.

I have a few Egypt visits early next year and very few pages left on my passport, so I'm looking forward to seeing some stamp reports from eVisa holders. Hopefully it'll just be the normal entry/exit stamp and the visa sticker will be space saved.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm just back from Cairo, where I heard not a whisper of the implementation of this.

I found this site https://www.egyptvisa.com, which has the whiff of a third-party facilitator, or even a scam.

Neither the UK Foreign Office nor the Egyptian consulate in London seems aware of the development. Both suggest either a consular issued visa, or one on arrival, as the ways to go.

No mention up-front on the purported official site of costs, but following through a dummy application reveals a fee $58 v $25 for the current VOA.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The official application seems to be here: https://visa2egypt.gov.eg
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

Got it, thanks! I'm guessing there'll be a number of opportunistic looky-likey sites set up to divert cash from prospective applicants.

Blessedly the official e-visa is touted as an alternative to the VOA. It's major advantage is you get to keep a passport page more or less free, but it's also neat that you can get a multiple entry e-visa. The cost for the single entry is the same as the current VOA, at $25, the multiple entry version is $60. I couldn't find out how long the multiple visa is valid, but I'm guessing the period will be quite limited, as it is now for consular visas.

However there's a pretty significant cost in time and effort spent on form-filling and document uploading, including the robot-proofing

The VOA is so much simpler, hand over cash and away you go. Long may it continue!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am arriving in CAI at 2am,would the banks be open to get the visa sticker at that time?

I assume they accept euros and it is the same $25 fee equivalent for EU passports?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
I am arriving in CAI at 2am,would the banks be open to get the visa sticker at that time?

I assume they accept euros and it is the same $25 fee equivalent for EU passports?

They'll accept any major currency and give you your change in EGP. Probably best to do the sums yourself first so you have an idea what to expect back. I've never had a problem, but it's only sensible to be aware of whats going on.

I'm sure there'll be visas available whenever flights are arriving. I've been on a delayed BA flight arriving 2-ish, and everything was fine.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by rodjune
I returned from Egypt several days ago. When I arrived at CAI and stepped into the area where the banks are located, there were three or four banks located in two separate areas: one at the foot of the escalator and the several banks located across the lobby area. The first line I stepped into at the distant row of banks said they do not sell visa stickers (after I had waited about ten minutes in line). I do not remember the name of that bank but it was the bank to the far right across the lobby area. I stepped into the queue of the bank to the immediate left. I do not know if the far right bank ran out of stickers, never sells them, or chose not to sell to me as I had a "discussion" with another arriving passenger who claimed I cut in line in front of him in the queue; when I got in the queue, there was only one other customer in the queue; and the accuser literally came out of nowhere.
But I agree with previous posters, the process for getting a sticker takes only a minute and it's also a good time to exchange some currency.
There are banks primarily doing currency exchange. When you get down the escalator facing immigration booths to the right, turn right again for 2 banks selling Visas (although hasn't been more than one open at my arrivals).

Visa buying is a fast process, as others pointed out having the right amount in bills ready will make it faster.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
They'll accept any major currency and give you your change in EGP. Probably best to do the sums yourself first so you have an idea what to expect back. I've never had a problem, but it's only sensible to be aware of whats going on.

I'm sure there'll be visas available whenever flights are arriving. I've been on a delayed BA flight arriving 2-ish, and everything was fine.
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just to update, Egypt has now initiated an online visa service for EU countries, US and Canadian passport holders, and many other countries. No longer necessary to buy a sticker on arrival. Both single entry and multiple entry available. After providing travel details and passport photo online, it takes a day or two to process and you get a PDF email confirmation if approved that you present to the immigration officer for a simple rubber entry stamp.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just to update, Egypt has now initiated an online visa service for EU countries, US and Canadian passport holders, and many other countries. No longer necessary to buy a sticker on arrival. Both single entry and multiple entry available. After providing travel details and passport photo online, it takes a day or two to process and you get a PDF email confirmation if approved that you present to the immigration officer for a simple rubber entry stamp.

E-visa for Egypt

Perhaps it will be useful for those who were unable to use the VOA system.

But for others, the only advantage I can see is that you avoid a sticker which takes up valuable space in your passport. The downside is a considerable measure of time and faff against a couple of minutes buying the visa at the bank counter.

OK, the multi-visit function could be useful, but it's not cheap and I think covers only some months
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
At last!! Has anyone used it yet?

Thanks for the update. Will try to use it later this year for our first ever ex-CAI trip.
Has anyone got one of this and used it at Cairo yet?
Will definitely save a few pages with the multi-entry I am guessing and potentially save some time when we arrive late into CAI.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:22 am

I used the eVisa during my trip to Egypt last week.

The good news is that it worked fine and indeed saved a lot of space in my passport. Immigration stamped me in and out without putting any sticker.

However, the application process left quite a bit to be desired. The first time I tried to apply, the website was not functioning properly, and it wouldn't let me create an account or submit the "contact us" form to tell them the website wasn't working. The second time I tried, a week later, the functionality was working again. It took about 25 minutes to fill out the forms, including uploading a passport photo. Paid the fee by credit card (Visa/Master only), and received the visa as an email 5 days later.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I used the eVisa during my trip to Egypt last week.

The good news is that it worked fine and indeed saved a lot of space in my passport. Immigration stamped me in and out without putting any sticker.

However, the application process left quite a bit to be desired. The first time I tried to apply, the website was not functioning properly, and it wouldn't let me create an account or submit the "contact us" form to tell them the website wasn't working. The second time I tried, a week later, the functionality was working again. It took about 25 minutes to fill out the forms, including uploading a passport photo. Paid the fee by credit card (Visa/Master only), and received the visa as an email 5 days later.
Thank you PVDtoDEL
​​​​​​​That is really useful. Am guessing you walked straight to passport control after disembarking from the flight? Did it take you long to get through? Never been through Cairo, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.