Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is mexico city safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

is mexico city safe?

i dont know where else to post this. CO is the leading airline to Mexico, so i thought i'd be best here.

im considering a last minute trip to mex with my brothers for 4th of july weeked. the fares for FC are cheaper than econ to any other city anywhere.

we'd be staying at the W. it seems like a great city, but i have heard bad things about the city in terms of kidnappings and other foolishness.

we have traveld all over the world and are ok with inherent dangers associted with americans in foreign countries.

just wanted to get some first hand knowledge form CO'ers that frequent the city.

we both speak spanish well.

also, is there lots to do there. it'll be "boys night out" for four nights.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:26 pm
Suspended

There's a Latin America forum I think. Mexico City can be dangerous if you go off wandering or use a street taxi (green & white VW Beetles). Arrange car service through the W Hotel (cheap) and you'll be fine. I absolutely love MEX.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
There's a related thread on the topic here.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
There's a related thread on the topic here.
Sums it up pretty well.

I really like visiting Mexico City, though it's been a couple of years since I've been

EmailKid
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
By all means, go there, but

I second the statement on getting a car and driver from the hotel. Also, keep the following in mind:

1. At Mexico City, if you are going to convert pesos at the airport, watch your valuables carefully. Many thefts can take place at the currency exchange windows. IME, the rates are better there than in the US.

2. Go to the registered airport taxi window, last I recall, it was to the far left of international arrivals and get a voucher for the cab to take you to your hotel. DO NOT take taxi rides from the many helpers who will try to offer you a ride.

3. Do not walk alone at night anywhere, even men should follow this rule.

4. At restaurants, if you do not have your car and driver, have the restaurant call a radio taxi for you. Don't go hail a taxi on your own.

Notwithstanding all of this, Mexico City is a great place to take a weekend trip. The museums, restaurants, pyramids, the zoo all make the time worthwhile. Great people watching is available on Sunday am in the Coyoacan area and the Frieda Kaklo house is walking distance in that neighborhood.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
I second the statement on getting a car and driver from the hotel. Also, keep the following in mind:

1. At Mexico City, if you are going to convert pesos at the airport, watch your valuables carefully. Many thefts can take place at the currency exchange windows. IME, the rates are better there than in the US.
Or better yet, just use an ATM. Best rates.

2. Go to the registered airport taxi window, last I recall, it was to the far left of international arrivals and get a voucher for the cab to take you to your hotel. DO NOT take taxi rides from the many helpers who will try to offer you a ride.
Right - these airport taxis are fine. DO NOT take the VW green & whites.

3. Do not walk alone at night anywhere, even men should follow this rule.
Yup.

4. At restaurants, if you do not have your car and driver, have the restaurant call a radio taxi for you. Don't go hail a taxi on your own.
Yup. Radio cabs called by restauratns are fine. But just get a car & driver from hotel. Probably only US$10-15/hour.

Notwithstanding all of this, Mexico City is a great place to take a weekend trip. The museums, restaurants, pyramids, the zoo all make the time worthwhile. Great people watching is available on Sunday am in the Coyoacan area and the Frieda Kaklo house is walking distance in that neighborhood.
Yup! Great city. ^
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Did you look into CUN? If you are looking for "boys night out", its a great place. I was there for bachelor party in April and we had no problem finding the things that make bachelor parties fun. None at all.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Did you look into CUN? If you are looking for "boys night out", its a great place. I was there for bachelor party in April and we had no problem finding the things that make bachelor parties fun. None at all.
Yeah, that's fun, but different. CUN is really the same as going to any beach resort, and there's nothing culturally exciting about it.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Yeah, that's fun, but different. CUN is really the same as going to any beach resort, and there's nothing culturally exciting about it.
Agreed, but "boys night out" for 4 nights doesnt scream culture to me!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:06 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Agreed, but "boys night out" for 4 nights doesnt scream culture to me!
Yeep - anyway, thanks to the OP for this thread. J.Edward will be in MEX in early October and I'm sure this info is going to be quite useful.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Take out Ransom Insurance (Before you need it)

There are numerous kidnapings (every day) and even poor people in MEX are being kidnaped and held for USD $35.00 ransom.

A driver and bodyguard would be a good idea if you are traveling around a lot.

I would strongly suggest getting ransom insurance before you travel to MEX.

It is an extremely dangerous city and you should be very cautious.

RC
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
There are numerous kidnapings (every day) and even poor people in MEX are being kidnaped and held for USD $35.00 ransom.

A driver and bodyguard would be a good idea if you are traveling around a lot.

I would strongly suggest getting ransom insurance before you travel to MEX.

It is an extremely dangerous city and you should be very cautious.

RC
IMHO, this is way exaggerated.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:26 pm
In memoriam

I recall a story by a Wall Street Journal reporter a couple of years ago about how he was kidnapped and driven around to ATMs to make forced withdrawals until his account was emptied.

Didn't sound like much fun.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I recall a story by a Wall Street Journal reporter a couple of years ago about how he was kidnapped and driven around to ATMs to make forced withdrawals until his account was emptied.

Didn't sound like much fun.
Right. That's why one should get a car and driver from the hotel.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
If you feel safe -- just keep your eyes and ears open and don't take chances

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
IMHO, this is way exaggerated.
I don't like to play these odds.

If you have problems, you might find it a lot harder to resolve.

The "it couldn't happen to me" philosophy is risky in a city of 30 million people.

There is a lot of crime in MEX, so be very cautious.

RC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.