Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is mexico city safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Nope, just the best tasting tap water. Serioulsy, NYC has the best tap water around ^
He's right -- and that's coming from someone who grew up in suburban Connecticut. I don't know how they do it!
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IndyMan
You felt more in danger in Barcelona than Rio... You'd probably feel safe running around with a $100 bill taped to your forehead in the slums of Sao Paulo then also. I don't get that one. Barcelona is far-and-away nicer than Rio.

I think maybe you are staying in resorts rather than exploring the cities.

I've never been to Morocco....don't know why I would ever go either though.

Whatever. If you think Mexico City is 'nice' then I seriously doubt your ability to honestly judge what 'nice' is.

But, like I said, whatever.
with comments like the above, your ignorance to the rest of the world shows more and more. out of all the comments on the two nearly identical threads running now, regrading MEX safety, you are the only one with such biased views.

however your input is appreciated and i will update you upon my return.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlen111
with comments like the above, your ignorance to the rest of the world shows more and more. out of all the comments on the two nearly identical threads running now, regrading MEX safety, you are the only one with such biased views.

however your input is appreciated and i will update you upon my return.
I guess some people would prefer to never the leave the comfort of their home country...

Enjoy MEX (I do hope you're going), and let us know what you did so that others may benefit from your input about this great city. ^
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD 75K; BA SILVER
You will have a great time in MEX. It is truly an amazing city with great restaurants and museums. You just have to be very aware of your surroundings. Like the typical carrying your wallet in your front pocket and don't wear any flashy jewelry or watches on the streets. I definitely believe it's worth the risk! ^
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Pretty funny to read this today as I am sitting in the Intercontinental in Polanco looking out over Chapultepec Park. This is my fourth time here in 1 1/2 years and I must say that it indeed is a very dangerous place. You have to consider the fact that you are always being watched and if you give the opportunity you will definitely have problems.

There is just an edge about this place that makes it uncomfortable for me and I grew up on the lower east side of NYC and can get by in Spanish to boot.

Of course as many people have mentioned if you stay local and don't go too much off of the beaten path you should be cool but I would be concerned about your nocturnal activities and being extra careful after partying.

Have a safe trip.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Russell745
Pretty funny to read this today as I am sitting in the Intercontinental in Polanco looking out over Chapultepec Park. This is my fourth time here in 1 1/2 years and I must say that it indeed is a very dangerous place. You have to consider the fact that you are always being watched and if you give the opportunity you will definitely have problems.
Could you elaborate a bit on the fact that you're always being watched? Do you mean by general street criminals or by some sort of professional stalkers.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Could you elaborate a bit on the fact that you're always being watched? Do you mean by general street criminals or by some sort of professional stalkers.
Good question - general street criminals are the ones that are not entirely difficult to spot - it's the pros who you don't see until it's too late that are my main concern.

I'd say as a tourist or as a non-mexican seeing the sights or enjoying a night out in Mexico City you have been laid eyes on by probably both.

You've just got to be careful.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I've been there about 20 times and my record is (2) $20 shakedowns, (1) $50 shakedown and one $100 fee to buy my clothes back for getting nasty with a Federales. So, I'd say you have 4 chances in 5 of being left alone
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by chasbondy
I've been there about 20 times and my record is (2) $20 shakedowns, (1) $50 shakedown and one $100 fee to buy my clothes back for getting nasty with a Federales. So, I'd say you have 4 chances in 5 of being left alone
Were these shakedowns all by police/Federales or by street thugs? Just curious.

I have to say that during my travels, one criterion I have used to judge whether the risks of visiting a foreign country outweigh the benefits is the quality of law enforcement. My general belief is that if a country's law enforcement officials are notorious for extorting tourists (Russia, Mexico, and Nigeria come to mind), it is not worth going to for pleasure. That doesn't mean I haven't visited such places, but it says a lot about a place when even government officials openly extort foreigners.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:48 am
Suspended

Were these shakedowns all by police/Federales or by street thugs? Just curious

They were Federales in their uniforms with automatic weapons, who need spending money. And also living near Tijuana, so I've learned it's best to just pay them off. I never have a ATM card on me on never more than $20-$50 in my wallet when down there
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Those shakedowns are not limited to MEX. They even occur in uber-tourist destinations like CUN. I was there for a bachelor party in April with a group of about 10 guys and at least 5 of us were "shaken down" over the course of the weekend. One time we were standing outside of a club and one of the security guards came over to me and grabbed me on the arm and accused me of urinating on the street. I was standing with at least 6 other people and he just randomly walked up to me, grabbed my arm and started jabbering away on the radio. He then said he saw me urinating (I clearly wasn't) and he was calling the federale to come "arrest me". He said that they would be there in 10 minutes and he could make them go away if I gave him 200 pesos. I laughed in his face. After 5 minutes or so he clearly saw that we weren't going to pay and he was surrounded by 7 dudes who were all about 7 inches taller than him. He eventually let go and moved on, lucky to still have a head attached to his body.

The locals there think they can take advantage of anyone, and the sad truth is they probably get away with it most of the time. It happened about 4 more times over the course of the weekend (another time a security guard grabbed my friend when he walked out of the bathroom and accused him of doing blow. He asked for $1000 pesos! or he was calling the police. My friend laughed in his face. The funny thing is they are all like 5 4' 130lbs). Im my opinion the locals there are a bunch of corrupt lowlife losers)

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Jun 27, 2006 at 10:16 am
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those shakedowns are not limited to MEX. They even occur in uber-tourist destinations like CUN. I was there for a bachelor party in April with a group of about 10 guys and at least 5 of us were "shaken down" over the course of the weekend. One time we were standing outside of a club and one of the security guards came over to me and grabbed me on the arm and accused me of urinating on the street. I was standing with at least 6 other people and he just randomly walked up to me, grabbed my arm and started jabbering away on the radio. He then said he saw me urinating (I clearly wasn't) and he was calling the federale to come "arrest me". He said that they would be there in 10 minutes and he could make them go away if I gave him 200 pesos. I laughed in his face. After 5 minutes or so he clearly saw that we weren't going to pay and he was surrounded by 7 dudes who were all about 7 inches taller than him. He eventually let go and moved on, lucky to still have a head attached to his body.

The locals there think they can take advantage of anyone, and the sad truth is they probably get away with it most of the time. It happened about 4 more times over the course of the weekend (another time a security guard grabbed my friend when he walked out of the bathroom and accused him of doing blow. He asked for $1000 pesos! or he was calling the police. My friend laughed in his face. The funny thing is they are all like 5 4' 130lbs). Im my opinion the locals there are a bunch of corrupt lowlife losers)
Sorry, but I don't need this sort of hassle on my vacation.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:15 pm

This is interesting. Not much to add that hasn't already been covered but just wanted to add my personal perspective.

I've visited Mexico City six times over the past four years and have always had a fantastic vacation. As others have said, there's so much to see and do - great culture, musuems, sights, restaurants etc etc. I've found the people friendly and helpful.

I speak a little Spanish and whilst I certainly don't look Mexican, I make an effort not to look too much like a tourist - no expensive camera round my neck, no big fold out maps etc etc. Basically, you just need to be aware and sensible - all the major things have been well covered in some of the earlier threads.

I've walked around Zona Rosa by myself late at night and not had any problems. The subway is cheap and very efficient and again I haven't had any problems. On occasions, hailed street cabs - utterly aware of the potential risk - but that was a risk I was prepared to take. As with life, everyone has different ideas of what risks they're prepared to take. Personally I find some of the replies reactionary and some verge on xenophobic. But, as I said, everyone makes their own choices.

For a really interesting, fun weekend with some friends I think Mexico City is a fantastic choice - you'll have a great time.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfe
^

Some people think that the Mexico pavillion at EPCOT center is quite dangerous, especially at night
And some idiots think the $7 Velvetta nachos are authentic
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Nope, just the best tasting tap water. Seriously, NYC has the best tap water around ^
Well come to San Diego where the geniuses are debating toilet to tap water, as you sit in your 1000 foot $1M home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.