is mexico city safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by jfe
I take it you don't like chilangos
I said the chicas were pretty didn't I?

I stay in Polanco at the InterContinental when I go there. Of course, that area is rich and the people are just snooty like they are in any rich part of any big city. Maybe a little more so there. I'm talking about the RICH people there. Not the poor hombre that drove me around 24 hours a day in a huge suburban for peanuts or the bell hops that drive back to the slums at the end of their shift.

That city (and country) seems overly rife with rich people controlling everything and not sharing a dime with what basically amounts to peasants by US standards. Corruption seems to be completely out-of-countrol.

Did they cater to me because I was an American? Yea, I suppose so because I was spending significant amounts of money.

The question was if or if not Mexico City is a fun and SAFE place to go party.

I would say no, obviously.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Act like a target and you are a target

Walk in the wrong places at the wrong time in LA, Miami, New York or New Orleans and you will get robbed. Flash money in Mexico City, walk around like you don't have a clue what you are doing in the wrong places and you are asking for trouble. What I don't put much stock in are the alarmist warnings on the Consular Information Sheets. These sheets have a not-too-well hidden political agenda. What you cannot do in Mexico are some things that you might do in a large city in the US, like hail a street taxi or leave valuables unattended in airports. (In this TSA era, you can't do that here either.) Mexico City has great restaurants, museums, parks, archealogical sites and other attractions. Many of the objections that are raised in this thread can be also stated about most major third world cities, the cities have substantial poor areas and if you are careless, you can be a victim of crime. Geez, there are even kidnappings in places such as Mendoza, Argentina, but they don't target tourists unless you advertise your wealth.

I have seen passengers at International Arrivals in Mexico City who immediately flash a money clip and head off to the exchange window with lots of luggage. They don't pay attention to what they are doing as if they were at the ATM line at Smallsville back home. They might as well have a sign on their foreheads that says "Robame". I have friends who were crime victims in MEX, they called me at my hotel for help, but it was no surprise what happened to them. They were stupid enough to board a street cab on Insurgentes Sur at 12:30 am. They were robbed at gunpoint and she was threatened with sexual assault. She is Mexican to boot, and she admitted their abject stupidity in taking a street taxi at that hour (or at any hour.) Bottom line to all travel, if you are stupid, you set yourself up to be a crime victim. All of the third world is less forgiving of such stupidity, because law enforcement is far below US standards and the countries have pervasive poverty. If you expect US security standards, visit small towns in the US or Canada. The third world is not Mayberry.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
FWIW, it seems that if all the OP wants to do is stay in the nice areas of the city and visit the major tourist spots for three days, he will be fine unless he strays from the safe practices outlined in this thread (taking street cabs, walking around at night, etc.). Perhaps the best plan would be to hire a driver during the day and go to museums and any other sights during daylight hours. Then during the evenings, they could head back to the upscale hotel area, grab dinner at a nice restaurant, then finish up in one of the hotel bars - this would alleviate concern about drunken vulnerability in the streets, etc. That general plan probably would be safe.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
As far as I am concerned, I drink bottled anytime I leave NYC much less the continental US...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
Walk in the wrong places at the wrong time in LA, Miami, New York or New Orleans and you will get robbed. Flash money in Mexico City, walk around like you don't have a clue what you are doing in the wrong places and you are asking for trouble. What I don't put much stock in are the alarmist warnings on the Consular Information Sheets. These sheets have a not-too-well hidden political agenda. What you cannot do in Mexico are some things that you might do in a large city in the US, like hail a street taxi or leave valuables unattended in airports. (In this TSA era, you can't do that here either.) Mexico City has great restaurants, museums, parks, archealogical sites and other attractions. Many of the objections that are raised in this thread can be also stated about most major third world cities, the cities have substantial poor areas and if you are careless, you can be a victim of crime. Geez, there are even kidnappings in places such as Mendoza, Argentina, but they don't target tourists unless you advertise your wealth.

I have seen passengers at International Arrivals in Mexico City who immediately flash a money clip and head off to the exchange window with lots of luggage. They don't pay attention to what they are doing as if they were at the ATM line at Smallsville back home. They might as well have a sign on their foreheads that says "Robame". I have friends who were crime victims in MEX, they called me at my hotel for help, but it was no surprise what happened to them. They were stupid enough to board a street cab on Insurgentes Sur at 12:30 am. They were robbed at gunpoint and she was threatened with sexual assault. She is Mexican to boot, and she admitted their abject stupidity in taking a street taxi at that hour (or at any hour.) Bottom line to all travel, if you are stupid, you set yourself up to be a crime victim. All of the third world is less forgiving of such stupidity, because law enforcement is far below US standards and the countries have pervasive poverty. If you expect US security standards, visit small towns in the US or Canada. The third world is not Mayberry.
That was my point. It is third world and NOT to be underestimated as if you are in the US/Western Europe/Canada.

I don't know of any political agendas of the US Consular except to provide information to US citizens for their own protection and awareness. It's a
'better safe than sorry' approach, of course.

The only reason I give warning is because it's supposed to be a wild 'guys weekend'. In my mind that involves drunk horseplay, chasing skirts, and everything else guys do when out on a warrior's weekend. THAT, I think can be a recipe for accidents. I doubt they are wanting to go to museums and such.

Hey, just my thoughts/opinion.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
As far as I am concerned, I drink bottled anytime I leave NYC much less the continental US...
???? NYC has the safest water in the US?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by IndyMan
???? NYC has the safest water in the US?
Nope, just the best tasting tap water. Serioulsy, NYC has the best tap water around ^

(And I am with you MEX is a sh*thole)
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT

^
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:58 pm

We spent a substantial portion of our holiday budget on tourist taxis. This was mostly arranged by the hotel, and at times by an eager bellhop. Roughly, we spent 2x-3x on taxis than on meals. No, make that 4x. The one time we asked a cop to help us locate a cab, he flagged down a passing Nissan. It was when we got on that we realized how overpriced our hotel arranged cabs were compared to the "sitio" taxis. But with a little baby in our hands, better safe than sorry.

Mexico City is one of the most vibrant and artistic places in the world I've ever seen. There is art and culture wherever you look - even in the poorest of poor migrant basket weavers. We would return in a heartbeat. Hell, we would move there if I could find a relevant job.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

its not like my trip is going to be a nutty vegas style "boys night out" type trip. we all came up with some free time last minute, and flights are either full or skyhigh. we are flying on Z fares for $600 and staying the nicest part of the city. i think it should be a cool trip. we all speak spanish fine.

my brother's and i have travelled the world. ive been to rio and morroco and barcelona, and returned home unscathed.

rio's safety concerns made like you couldnt where a damn watch. i felt more endangered in barcelona than i have anywhere else in the world.

well, actually, i will never visit morocco again.

we're staying at the W and plan on using their concierge for recommended trips, bars and restaurants.

i think well be fine.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlen111
its not like my trip is going to be a nutty vegas style "boys night out" type trip. we all came up with some free time last minute, and flights are either full or skyhigh. we are flying on Z fares for $600 and staying the nicest part of the city. i think it should be a cool trip. we all speak spanish fine.

my brother's and i have travelled the world. ive been to rio and morroco and barcelona, and returned home unscathed.

rio's safety concerns made like you couldnt where a damn watch. i felt more endangered in barcelona than i have anywhere else in the world.

we're staying at the W and plan on using their concierge for recommended trips, bars and restaurants.

i think well be fine.
You will be fine and will have a great time. Enjoy! ^
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:25 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them

i think well be fine.
^

Some people think that the Mexico pavillion at EPCOT center is quite dangerous, especially at night
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:58 pm
Suspended

i think well be fine.
You felt more in danger in Barcelona than Rio... You'd probably feel safe running around with a $100 bill taped to your forehead in the slums of Sao Paulo then also. I don't get that one. Barcelona is far-and-away nicer than Rio.

I think maybe you are staying in resorts rather than exploring the cities.

I've never been to Morocco....don't know why I would ever go either though.

Whatever. If you think Mexico City is 'nice' then I seriously doubt your ability to honestly judge what 'nice' is.

But, like I said, whatever.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:07 pm

i think well be fine.
LOL, glad to see you made it back from Barcellona safe and sound!
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:19 pm

Mexico City has a some pretty neat stuff to offer from great museums to nice restaurants and the like.

You will have a great time,
Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.