Wiki Posts
Search

is mexico city safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chasbondy
And some idiots think the $7 Velvetta nachos are authentic
And some idiots think nachos are authentic.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Falcon20
Forget Mexico and just go to East LA. Same atmosphere but you can use the US Dollar and don't have to clear customs.
Or just come and visit SW Phoenix.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:15 pm

Same Experience

My experience is exactly like the one below. I have been there four times in the past four years, most recently with my son when he was 1 and 2y.o. We have taken the subway dozens of times and even the mini busses on occasion (but I have never hailed a street taxi). I have stayed in hotels on the Zocalo, in Polanco and by Alameda Park. No matter what, I could never blend in no matter how hard I tried (but I do try).

I have never been "shaken down" anywhere in Mexico in almost 30 visits over the past 10 years. We ate street food from dozens of outlets and had some really fantastic things but I never drink tap water (in MEX or anywhere).

Is Mexico a clean, sterile city? Absolutely not! Is there more risk than walking around Seattle? Absolutely? Do I take precautions with my personally belongings like I would in any city, yes! Although I love Mexico City I am pretty sure that some of my friends an family would hate it and describe it like IndyMan. That is his opinion and I can see how someone could have that view. Since FT is such a diverse community there will always be different opinions. I at least appreciate that Indy Man has been there, as opposed to other posters (not necessarily on this thread) that post opinions about this city but have no personal experience.

I hope the OP will share his experiences when he returns.

Have a great trip.

Keba

BTW, Scariest, most threatening place I have ever been to: Patterson, NJ

Originally Posted by philiplee
This is interesting. Not much to add that hasn't already been covered but just wanted to add my personal perspective.

I've visited Mexico City six times over the past four years and have always had a fantastic vacation. As others have said, there's so much to see and do - great culture, musuems, sights, restaurants etc etc. I've found the people friendly and helpful.

I speak a little Spanish and whilst I certainly don't look Mexican, I make an effort not to look too much like a tourist - no expensive camera round my neck, no big fold out maps etc etc. Basically, you just need to be aware and sensible - all the major things have been well covered in some of the earlier threads.

I've walked around Zona Rosa by myself late at night and not had any problems. The subway is cheap and very efficient and again I haven't had any problems. On occasions, hailed street cabs - utterly aware of the potential risk - but that was a risk I was prepared to take. As with life, everyone has different ideas of what risks they're prepared to take. Personally I find some of the replies reactionary and some verge on xenophobic. But, as I said, everyone makes their own choices.

For a really interesting, fun weekend with some friends I think Mexico City is a fantastic choice - you'll have a great time.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
And some idiots think nachos are authentic.
LOL ^
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Why not head over to good old Bogalusa instead for some fun!?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by KebaNYC
My experience is exactly like the one below. I have been there four times in the past four years, most recently with my son when he was 1 and 2y.o. We have taken the subway dozens of times and even the mini busses on occasion (but I have never hailed a street taxi). I have stayed in hotels on the Zocalo, in Polanco and by Alameda Park. No matter what, I could never blend in no matter how hard I tried (but I do try).

I have never been "shaken down" anywhere in Mexico in almost 30 visits over the past 10 years. We ate street food from dozens of outlets and had some really fantastic things but I never drink tap water (in MEX or anywhere).

Is Mexico a clean, sterile city? Absolutely not! Is there more risk than walking around Seattle? Absolutely? Do I take precautions with my personally belongings like I would in any city, yes! Although I love Mexico City I am pretty sure that some of my friends an family would hate it and describe it like IndyMan. That is his opinion and I can see how someone could have that view. Since FT is such a diverse community there will always be different opinions. I at least appreciate that Indy Man has been there, as opposed to other posters (not necessarily on this thread) that post opinions about this city but have no personal experience.

I hope the OP will share his experiences when he returns.

Have a great trip.

Keba

BTW, Scariest, most threatening place I have ever been to: Patterson, NJ

All I am saying is that, without any question at all, Mexico City has an epidemic crime problem. It's widely known and easy to see and feel and not just by 'whitey' who is visiting from the States. Even my driver, obviously a native, purposely avoided certain areas because he didn't want trouble. He isolates me to very strict districs near the Intercontinental and is always on his guard.

It's a scary place.

Patterson, NJ isn't a bowl of cherries either. BTW, Gary, Indiana is a bit on the rough side also.

The clincher, if you will, is that the police in Mexico are a crooked as a dog's hind leg. If you do get into trouble there, you have little hope in getting any help.

Just my opinion.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

i appreciate this great debate. it always enjoy starting a thread that grows to more than four pages.

with that said, i have weighed all that has been said and am going to MEX. I was going regardless of the answers. my brother and I are excited. we're flying FC and staying at the W.

i plan on visiting most sites in the day, and only doing concierge recommended activities at night. no street cabs and no metro in the evening. for partying, we will stick close to the W if not at the W's bars every night.

this is almost identical to our habbits on our last trip to rio, so i feel its a safe plan. we had a blast in rio.

ill update on the the trip with en offcial "trip report," as this thread has involved so many people and opinions. will post late july 4th or lujy 5th.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I am curious if a grey goose on the rocks is $16 like it is at any W in NYC. Let us know...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I am curious if a grey goose on the rocks is $16 like it is at any W in NYC. Let us know...
The InterContinental in Polanco is $$$$$ at the bar(s). Don't know about the W.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
i will for sure. that's where we got burned in rio. it was one of the more less expensive large cities ive ever been to, but whenever we ate or drank at the sheraton (the one of the beach) we paid NYC prices.

if the dub, is indeed nyc priced i will find a local (safe) place with more resonable prices. i will let you know...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by dlen111
i will for sure. that's where we got burned in rio. it was one of the more less expensive large cities ive ever been to, but whenever we ate or drank at the sheraton (the one of the beach) we paid NYC prices.

if the dub, is indeed nyc priced i will find a local (safe) place with more resonable prices. i will let you know...

OK here's the deal. You and I both seem to frequent Lima and seem to have had similar views. When at the W in Polanco stop at the Restaurant Karisma which is right across the street from the Intercontinental. It is a great bar and grill, if you will. Uba is the bartender (sort of reminds me of David Gilmour) and tip him fairly and he will actually ask you when to say "when" as he fills your drinks. This guy actually remembers me and I stop in every six months or so (but I do tip well). The drinks are also very reasonable priced.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Russell745
OK here's the deal. You and I both seem to frequent Lima and seem to have had similar views. When at the W in Polanco stop at the Restaurant Karisma which is right across the street from the Intercontinental. It is a great bar and grill, if you will. Uba is the bartender (sort of reminds me of David Gilmour) and tip him fairly and he will actually ask you when to say "when" as he fills your drinks. This guy actually remembers me and I stop in every six months or so (but I do tip well). The drinks are also very reasonable priced.

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! thanks russell745. change of tone. finally!

i know MEX sucks (thanks indyman;-)). but im there.... in two days (thanks benj..nyc and others). im staying at the dub and do not want to a) pay $15 for kettleOne one the rocks and b) dont want to get robbed, raped, shot, knifed, etc. taking cabs out of polanco. where can i go, close to the dub, where we can party and still "not die" doing so? if i have to stay and party at the W, it wouldnt be the first time ive done it.

mind you we are understated ex-college baseball players who have travelled the world and both speak spanish.

at this point in the thread i want recommendations, not safety warnings.

thanks to all!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlen111
ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! thanks russell745. change of tone. finally!

i know MEX sucks (thanks indyman;-)). but im there.... in two days (thanks benj..nyc and others). im staying at the dub and do not want to a) pay $15 for kettleOne one the rocks and b) dont want to get robbed, raped, shot, knifed, etc. taking cabs out of polanco. where can i go, close to the dub, where we can party and still "not die" doing so? if i have to stay and party at the W, it wouldnt be the first time ive done it.

mind you we are understated ex-college baseball players who have travelled the world and both speak spanish.

at this point in the thread i want recommendations, not safety warnings.

thanks to all!
There is a decent bar/restaurant directly across from the Intercontinental and also a hard rock cafe just down the street. It gets loaded with gals and gets fun at night on the weekends.

That immediate area where the 4 star hotels are in polanco is clustered with Americanized places and are generally OK.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I hope your friends dont find you in a bathtub filled with ice and large scar where your liver used to be. (j/k) Good luck!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
There are numerous kidnapings (every day) and even poor people in MEX are being kidnaped and held for USD $35.00 ransom.

A driver and bodyguard would be a good idea if you are traveling around a lot.

I would strongly suggest getting ransom insurance before you travel to MEX.

It is an extremely dangerous city and you should be very cautious.

RC
I would second the opinion that this is way way over the top having just returned from Mex City. It's a big bustling place with some attendant dangers, but in the main areas you'll be visiting you're fine if you take a few sensible precautions (like proper taxis, not flashing cash and not hanging around on dark streets at night). But a bodyguard?!

You'll have a great time, even more so as Spanish-speakers. Enjoy....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.