Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City metro & Metrobús, to travel and pay

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Metro Update: Effective yesterday all metro stations will no longer accept metro paper tickets. You must purchase a metro card, that can be used on Metro buses, street buses and cable cars in the city.
(1) I assume that the stations sell the cards, and you can buy the # of rides desired. That said, I couldn't locate the fares, or if there are any time-restricted fares (such as peak / off peak). Is tap/pay with a CC available now at fare gates?
(2) It looks like Linea 1 still has a major closure - (Insurgentes is where I'd usually enter). Work-around suggestions?
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) I assume that the stations sell the cards, and you can buy the # of rides desired. That said, I couldn't locate the fares, or if there are any time-restricted fares (such as peak / off peak). Is tap/pay with a CC available now at fare gates?
(2) It looks like Linea 1 still has a major closure - (Insurgentes is where I'd usually enter). Work-around suggestions?
Tap and pay is available with direct credit cards or payment app like Google pay in the Metro stations and the Metro buses. The rates are the same 365 days per year. I'll post the metro website with fares etc. As far as line #1 they have been using buses to transport passengers for the last year or so between stations. I actually thought they opened the entire route again. I'll be back.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Here's info on the metro card, how much it costs and the max you can load on it. Metro is 5 pesos, Metro bus is 6 pesos and cable cars are 7 pesos.

https://metro.cdmx.gob.mx/tramites-y...eta-recargable

Here's a screenshot how to catch the bus between stations:
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:58 pm

Here's a route map of the closed stations and the buses to take. It's very confusing but they used to be waiting outside the metro station, but insurgentes station is enclosed so not sure where the bus will pick up people.
https://www.lanueval1.cdmx.gob.mx/informacion/
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:49 pm

The single-trip paper tickets are all but redundant now. by 2024 they wont be useable any more.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 13, 2023 at 1:54 pm Reason: FlyerTalk Rule 7
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nomadic Backpacker
The single-trip paper tickets are all but redundant now. by 2024 they wont be useable any more
They DO NOT sell them any longer period.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Tap and pay is available with direct credit cards or payment app like Google pay in the Metro stations and the Metro buses. The rates are the same 365 days per year. I'll post the metro website with fares etc. As far as line #1 they have been using buses to transport passengers for the last year or so between stations. I actually thought they opened the entire route again. I'll be back.
I tried 3 different tap/pay CCs at La Villa Station, VI, MC and AX - none would work.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I tried 3 different tap/pay CCs at La Villa Station, VI, MC and AX - none would work.
The most recent tweet from the government indicates that all the stations should be working: (maybe not?)

Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:08 pm

Mexico State (Edomex) is in the process of requisitioning a Metro System that will connect with the metro system of CDMX. The system will incorporate more Metro Buses too into their existing system. Maybe they'll have express buses to the pyramids?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:56 am

To commemorate the 55 years of the CDMX Metro, starting January 29, 2024, you can purchase a commemorative magnetic ticket at the metro stations. The CDMX government will only produced 14 million and they should cost about 5 pesos each.

Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:09 pm

Update on Route #3 Cable Bus

The inauguration of the new route is scheduled for June 2024 and testing is scheduled for May 2024. Most tourist probably don't see the cable cars on routes 1 & 2 because they are outside the more popular tourist areas. But beginning in June you'll see them over Chapultepec Park going toward Sante Fe.

The route will have 180 cable cars, 3000 passengers per hour, WiFi, Security Cameras, Wide Doors to accommodate bicycles, wheelchairs, etc, communication with the control room.

The stations go from Los Pinos, Dolores Pantheon, Chararria, College of Architect, Cineteca National, and Vasco de Quiroga.

The city-wide Metro Card and electronic/NFC payments accepted for the 7 pesos per ride.

https://www.dondeir.com/noticias/cua...tepec/2024/01/
Attached Images  
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:29 am

Effective today, January 30, 2024, Line 12 of the Metro system has been fully restored with carbon fiber support beams since the deadly accident that occurred in May 2021, and is in operation right now. Line #1 is still being renovated since it's the oldest line in the Metro system.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:43 pm

FYI - CDMX is running short on "Metro Cards" that can be used on all forms of transportation in the city. The reason for the shortage is due to the city eliminating the paper tickets. So If you already have one bring it with you on your upcoming visit just in case. They are asking people to share their cards until more become available. Also, try to use your smart phone or credit card instead. They hope the shortage is resolved soon.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:49 pm

Metro Card UPDATE: Effective yesterday, you can top off your CDMX Metro Card in the CDMX app. It's call "AppCDMX" in the apple or google play store. Once loaded, look for the icon that says "Recarga Tarjeta MI". But unfortunately it's only for temporary/permanent residents and citizens. Because you need an account through the government. But for visitors, reloads still work in certain convenience stores, and kiosk in the city.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:17 pm

if u still have the old paper tickets u can still use.. the security take the ticket and let u through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.