Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Thomas Moore is $11 pp one way. http://www.thomasmoretravel.com/transportation.asp

Shared service!

Last edited by gdeluca; Dec 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
thanks looks like $25 per person for a one way from CUN-Hotel Zone
www.bestday.com/Transfers/Cancun/
-
Are you talking about the shared service? This is what I normally get, "REGULAR - Cancun (per person) 9".
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Are you talking about the shared service? This is what I normally get, "REGULAR - Cancun (per person) 9".
ahhh, got it, thanks for posting back^. I'll book it shortly.

Edited to add: just booked & it was $17.17 all in (taxes included) for a one way trip for 2 people from CUN to the hotel Zone. Nice, thanks^

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Dec 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ahhh, got it, thanks for posting back^. I'll book it shortly.

Edited to add: just booked & it was $17.17 all in (taxes included) for a one way trip for 2 people from CUN to the hotel Zone. Nice, thanks^
Glad it helped. I hope you have a good trip.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
This week I got a welcome call from the Westin Lagunamar. The concierge specifically told me not to take the taxi due to the price. She booked a car for us for $35. Private and direct...sounds worth the price!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: usairways united delta marriott
What is the latest?

I have seen several replies over the months, but what is the latest,best and most economical way for four people to go from CUN to the hotel zone? Also, where do you need to go to meet the service? Is it best to book a ride ahead of time?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by globetrots
the bus... does not go to the bus station first. It goes down the hotel strip and then to the station.
I'm not entirely sure this is still true. I just returned, and during my stay I did not observe busses from CUN going down the hotel zone strip toward downtown Cancun. I was also told by the concierge that they go from the airport to the central bus station and not via the hotel zone.

Perhaps the bus you refer to is not frequent enough that I saw it, however. As my Spanish is poor, I was not able to enquire with locals, and there does not seem to be a website that maps the bus ROUTES other than the hotel zone busses.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have always used Best Day shuttle service. Always friendly and nice vans. I have gotten lucky and never had to wait long for them to to get the other people together. They will give you like a packet of info and tell you to meet a representative at your hotel the next morning for a greeting. It is just to sell some tours but it is no pressure and I have actually never been but I know what the deal is. It is not uncommon for the hotel to call the next morning and have a "greeting" as well so I just consider it a part of the experience.
Thanks for this reference, mcgahat. On the guidance of your post, I used BestDay for my journey from CUN to my hotel. It was terrific, and very easy to find the crew in their red & white uniforms right outside the airport. We did have to wait 15 minutes before they took a van-ful of us to the hotel zone. Minimum booking was for 2 persons, and 3-day advance purchase was required. But for the two of us, fresh off a long flight, BestDay made it very easy, and it only cost $22. (Of course I also tipped the driver a few bucks.)

Thanks again.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm Reason: add URL
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot
Thanks for this reference, mcgahat. On the guidance of your post, I used BestDay for my journey from CUN to my hotel. It was terrific, and very easy to find the crew in their red & white uniforms right outside the airport. We did have to wait 15 minutes before they took a van-ful of us to the hotel zone. Minimum booking was for 2 persons, and 3-day advance purchase was required. But for the two of us, fresh off a long flight, BestDay made it very easy, and it only cost $22. (Of course I also tipped the driver a few bucks.)

Thanks again.
Good to hear. Thanks for the info on the 3 day advance booking as I dont remember that being required before.
Chink400 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Transport Options: CUN to local and nearby hotels, etc. (e.g. Dreams Riviera Cancun)

I searched around and found a suprising lack of posts on transport options out of Cancun Airport. No interest in renting a car (going to meet friends for a wedding and don't plan on going anywhere). Staying at the Dreams Riviera Cancun (not Dreams Cancun).

I've found the names of several companies, but no real recent information. The companies I found were:
  • USA Transfers
  • Entertainment Plus
  • Cancun Valet
  • ASTA(?) (via the Cancun Airport website)

Any recommendations or advice to stay away from a particular company.

It will only be 2 of us and want to prebook a roundtrip. My Spanish is decent (though rusty), but if course English would be easier.

TIA
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I searched around and found a suprising lack of posts on transport options out of Cancun Airport. No interest in renting a car (going to meet friends for a wedding and don't plan on going anywhere). Staying at the Dreams Riviera Cancun (not Dreams Cancun).

I've found the names of several companies, but no real recent information. The companies I found were:
  • USA Transfers
  • Entertainment Plus
  • Cancun Valet
  • ASTA(?) (via the Cancun Airport website)

Any recommendations or advice to stay away from a particular company.

It will only be 2 of us and want to prebook a roundtrip. My Spanish is decent (though rusty), but if course English would be easier.

TIA
I'll Fly into CUN tomorrow and booked USA transfers due to their ratings on tripadvisor
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by daumueller
I'll Fly into CUN tomorrow and booked USA transfers due to their ratings on tripadvisor
If you could write back about your experience, it would be appreciated. We don't go until December 9th.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
http://bit.ly/NrNSCs

We used this service.. surprisingly inexpensive compared to other alternatives, and excellent service as well..

We researched the companies, and queried if there was any complaints over the net.. Do the research on any company that you are considering.. Having prepaid, no problems.. just have to tip the driver in cash..

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reason: edit and repair URL - "can+cun+transfers" will not work
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Here's another option that might work depending on the number of persons in your group. For our party of 3, a private car is $55 roundtrip vs. Best Day shared van at $52. I've booked with Entertainment Plus before and had no problems.

http://www.entertainment-plus.net/tr...-transfers.asp
Old May 9, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Meeting a friend at CUN airport

I am traveling to CUN with a friend at the beginning of August. However, we are flying in on different airlines, from different cities. She is coming in on Delta from BOS, and I will be arriving on US Airways from PHL.

Would it be best for us to meet before clearing immigration or afterwards? I have not been to the CUN airport before so wanted to be sure we could find the best place to meet before heading to our hotel. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.