Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
I arrived MEX April 1 and received the slip with the QR code going through the E-gates. I never got a stamp in my passport. I tried in vain to obtain the online Digital Multiple Migratory Form as it's stated pretty firmly that you MUST do this. Well, I didn't. On my return, April 11th, I had the original QR coded slip in hand that I got from he E-gate upon entry. No one asked for anything. I did online check in and had carry on, so I didn't have to go to the check in desk. I asked at the Admirals Club if this paper was needed and they said it wasn't necessary any more. No one asked for anything at boarding.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by 1kprem
I arrived MEX April 1 and received the slip with the QR code going through the E-gates. I never got a stamp in my passport. I tried in vain to obtain the online Digital Multiple Migratory Form as it's stated pretty firmly that you MUST do this. Well, I didn't. On my return, April 11th, I had the original QR coded slip in hand that I got from he E-gate upon entry. No one asked for anything. I did online check in and had carry on, so I didn't have to go to the check in desk. I asked at the Admirals Club if this paper was needed and they said it wasn't necessary any more. No one asked for anything at boarding.
Your passport is basically all you need to enter AND when leaving a boarding pass/passport to show the airline before boarding.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Your passport is basically all you need to enter AND when leaving a boarding pass/passport to show the airline before boarding.
Yeah, I kinda figured that out through this experience. When I go back in May I I’ll assume they will give me the same QR code page at the E-gate and, like Pavlov’s dog, I will now know to ignore the instructions listed on the page.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by 1kprem
Yeah, I kinda figured that out through this experience. When I go back in May I I’ll assume they will give me the same QR code page at the E-gate and, like Pavlov’s dog, I will now know to ignore the instructions listed on the page.
That's how it is now, in May be another story😁 I'll be leaving in May and returning the same month but I always go through the Mexican National line to avoid issues since I live in CDMX. Eventually the entry process will be standardized.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by kash80
Doesn't Mexico put an exit stamp on passport anymore? We flew out of CUN yesterday and didn't get one. They checked to make sure our BP & passport match, but didn't bother checking if we had valid travel documents to US. I am a green card holder and have experienced checks in many countries which have prechecked my US documentation before letting me check-in and board the flight.
You will find that more and more governments are skipping stamping passports these days. As I understand it even the Schengen countries in Europe will be phasing it out.

The airline would have checked that your documents were sufficient to enter the U.S. Mexican immigration staff would not. Even at countries which have exit controls, immigration officials will not generally check to see if you have documents (visa, etc.) for the destination to which you're traveling--they are more concerned that you are leaving their country. They may ask for your boarding pass for your onward flight but this is only to make sure you're departing their territory.

This is fairly standard around the world. When I flew to India awhile back via Paris CDG, French immigration officials asked me nothing about my e-visa to India, but simply stamped my passport to verify that I was leaving Schengen. However, at the gate Air France was rigorous about checking everyone's e-visa confirmations before allowing us to board the flight to Delhi.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Flying to CUN for first time and see tourist card is no longer required. But southwest sent me a link to this site.. is this still required? What is it? https://siat.sat.gob.mx
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Flying to CUN for first time and see tourist card is no longer required. But southwest sent me a link to this site.. is this still required? What is it? https://siat.sat.gob.mx
No! Don't need one at all since it's all electronic.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
No! Don't need one at all since it's all electronic.
Thank you. I can't get the website to work anyway -- when I select Air/Cancun/T4 arrival, it wants me to list an excess surplus which I don't have. Even if I add something it still won't let me continue past the page, the first option is greyed out. But I will ignore!
Old Dec 25, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I arrived MEX T1 yesterday, sent to an automated kiosk, and the receipt says I will not be permitted to leave the country unless I scan the QR code and download what looks to be a digital FMM. And so I did. But is anyone checking anything at departures?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I arrived MEX T1 yesterday, sent to an automated kiosk, and the receipt says I will not be permitted to leave the country unless I scan the QR code and download what looks to be a digital FMM. And so I did. But is anyone checking anything at departures?
Good luck, from my understanding none of that is even working yet for departures. You just board your plane. Maybe someone else that's departed MEX recently can chime in.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Good luck, from my understanding none of that is even working yet for departures. You just board your plane. Maybe someone else that's departed MEX recently can chime in.
I lost my receipt with the QR code but I was able to search and find my record on this site: https://www.inm.gob.mx/spublic/portal/inmex.html

The website is kind of unintuitive, basically you hit "search" and then it seems like it didn't do anything but if you scroll down a bunch there's a table with a link to your FMM form (with the QR code you supposedly need to exit). I'm leaving out of MEX later this week and I'll report back if I actually need it.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I did the animated kiosk thing last spring in MEX. Went to the website, could not get any sort of form or record. Went to the local immigration office and they were just like "yeah, you can ignore that"

Every time I have entered since then the kiosks have been closed...
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:30 pm

Visiting Mexico as a U.S Citizen

Hello, I am a U.S Citizen with Mexican heritage, which means most of my family still resides in there, I've recently just turned 21 and I'd like to go visit them in their native city of Chihuahua, I already have my passport ready, but I'd like to know what else will I be asked at the port of entry, I'm not planning to stay at a hotel, but rather with my family members, can I just show immigration their address as proof of accomodations? Do I have to show proof of funds?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:15 am

I used to enter Mexico as a US Citizen and you were provided a card on the flight that you completed, where you would enter the address of the property you were staying, along with your passport and boarding pass information (so hold onto that). Since I'm a Mexican resident I no longer need to get a tourist visa but it's supposedly easier now as the paper form is no longer needed at the majority of the airports in Mexico, as they are processing entries electronically and will stamp your passport. Make sure you tell them how many days you need including a few extras just in case. Many visitors are getting 6 months.

Forum members will stop by to give you more recent updates, but if you could identify the airport or port of entry you plan to use it will help give you the most updated information.

And you don't need to show proof of funds or address etc.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Feb 5, 2024 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The most likely thing you'll be asked to show (and most likely by the airline, not by immigration) is proof of onward travel from Mexico if the departure from Mexico isn't on the same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.