Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Work Permite
Tell me, please, is it true that FMM cards have been canceled?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by shipilov2008
It appears to have been replaced by an electronic Multiple Immigration Form (FMM) (Forma Migratoria Múltiple obtenida vía electrónica para la internación aérea).
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
That's the same online FMM form they've had for a while now (more than a few years, but less than several ??). You fill it out online, then print it out when you're done. You save it as a pdf & print that.

We just flew into CUN on Sat, 07/30/22 & the Immigration officer accepted our printed out FMM just like they always do.

I did read on TripAdvisor that they're talking about getting rid of the FMM (both the manually filled out form & the online one) & replacing that w/ a stamp in your passport where they write in the # of days you can stay (like they write on current forms). I think they're testing that in some airports, but not CUN yet.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
No. They still hand them out on planes, and you can get one when you land. Some immigration officers DO NOT accept the online form, so be prepared to fill it out manually if yours is rejected and have to go back in line. And be prepared to answer their questions about how long you are staying and if they ask to show your hotel reservations as 6 month stays are no longer a given.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
No. They still hand them out on planes, and you can get one when you land. Some immigration officers DO NOT accept the online form, so be prepared to fill it out manually if yours is rejected and have to go back in line. And be prepared to answer their questions about how long you are staying and if they ask to show your hotel reservations as 6 month stays are no longer a given.
My few transits @ MEX this year - they've not accepted the forms. There have been some worker bees as you enter the lines, and they'll ask to see your forms and if you've got the printed online forms, they'll hand you a paper form. Now, I've not done this since June, but I've seen it enough with my luceros propios to want the official printed form when arriving at the quilombo migraciones MEX.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
On my last recent visits to family I did not even try to use the electronic one I could print from home - I just defaulted completing the paper one while in line. Did not hav any problems with that.

I think the government's idea was to get away from the costs and inefficiencies of printed forms and manual processing. But that might have bumped up against the folks that have vested interests in the hardcopy, manual system....
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
According to numerous posts on TripAdvisor, yes, the FMM cards are in the process of being eliminated. (ie not being replaced with the online version, but actually eliminated)

The posts are popping up in a few of the destination forums on TA.

It sounds like it’s being done port by port — so not everywhere yet.

Here’s one of the posts:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic...Peninsula.html

Currently, in La Paz and Puerto Vallarta and likely some other airports, when you enter Mexico, you will not be issued a FMM. You will have a stamp in your passport and in that stamp will be written the number of days you may be in Mexico.Please note, the FMM cards are being eliminated starting July 28, 2022. When a person enters Mexico, you will not be issued a FMM. You will have a stamp in your passport and in that stamp will be written the number of days you may be in Mexico.

Similarly, when a person has a pre-approved visa from a Mexican consulate, in their passport, a FMM will not be issued and a date will be stamped on the pre-approved visa. As well, it will be written CANJE 30 days.

When a TR or PR resident leaves Mexico your passport is stamped with date and written is your visa status and SALIDA. And when entering Mexico, stamped with date, visa status and the word ENTRADA."
If true, it sounds like a work in progress. If it’s being phased in at only some airports, it could be a challenge if you fly into one airport that’s already done away with the FMM and then depart from somewhere else that’s still using them.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If true, it sounds like a work in progress. If it’s being phased in at only some airports, it could be a challenge if you fly into one airport that’s already done away with the FMM and then depart from somewhere else that’s still using them.
You're not kidding. The last thing anyone needs is to be denied boarding at the last minute because you don't have the departure stub and the airline staff won't let you onboard.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I haven't found any formal clarification of what's changing or what might be replacing the current process -- which will probably make this confusing for travelers and airlines in the coming months.

I would expect that - even if the FMM card is being eliminated - there will still be some sort of formal arrival declaration required at time of entry. Since Mexico really doesn't have kiosks (like the US, Canada and others) that may well be a new paper form that everyone needs to fill out prior to entry. Or, for the time being, it could just be the current FMM form -- but they might not give you the 'card' portion back with your passport.

All indications are that the only thing being eliminated is that paper card that travelers need to keep in their passport and surrender when leaving.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I live in Puerto Vallarta, where this "pilot" program is being tested.

No FMM card needed upon entry for tourists. One's passport is stamped and the INM agent writes the date (dd/mm/yy format) in the passport. At departure, the airline agent checks the date in your passport.

No news on what happens if one overstays their date, speculation is INM is called and they deal with the situation.

As a Permanent Resident, I will have my passport stamped "entrada" upon entering, "salida" when departing.

As INM nationwide is aware of this program, (in a situation mentioned above re:flying out of a different airport), other airports will recognize and honor the date stamped in tourists' passports. Once any bugs are worked out at these pilot airports, the system will be nationwide.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

No FMM card needed upon entry for tourists. One's passport is stamped and the INM agent writes the date (dd/mm/yy format) in the passport. At departure, the airline agent checks the date in your passport.

No news on what happens if one overstays their date, speculation is INM is called and they deal with the situation.

As a Permanent Resident, I will have my passport stamped "entrada" upon entering, "salida" when departing.

As INM nationwide is aware of this program, (in a situation mentioned above re:flying out of a different airport), other airports will recognize and honor the date stamped in tourists' passports. Once any bugs are worked out at these pilot airports, the system will be nationwide.
Sounds like the US in that now the airlines will be electronically submitting the departure data with no need to collect the forms. Yay. (I'm differentiating this from other countries that have actual country-departure formalities with segregated departure facilities.)
comfortablynumb likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:08 am

Yes.

To be clear, the date stamped in one's passport is the future date which one must leave by.

This system will also lessen the frequent overstayers that "lost" the bottom part of the paperwork they were to keep that showed X days they were allowed to stay in México. Granted, a piece of paper is easy to lose but....it happens quite a bit, people abusing the system. Passports are generally not so easily lost.

Another speculated intent is to cut down on those living in México yet never going thru the Residency process : making a "border run" after their X days up (or they have mysterously lost their paperwork) then re-entering 24 hours or so later in hopes of another 180 days, then repeat repeat. Some people have been doing this for years.

As a Permanent Resident my dance was opposite...I had the bottom part of the form to keep (stamped @ the INM window near check-in gates upon departure) with RP, Residente Permanente, while I was OUT of México then turn in upon re-entry back into México. So, easier for us too.

It's all good.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús

What a relief.
I'm a Temporary Resident and I will be flying in for the first time from LAX as resident as I have always crossed the border with my car so I never had to show anything but the prospect of losing my residency status and starting over is a nightmare. My facilitator told me that another Temporary Resident lost his status because he entered as tourist and didn't find out until he switched to Permanent Resident.
Showing the passport and residency card and getting a stamp is easier then having a form be filled out and hopefully the INM officer doesn't screw up.

I did the form online and hand wrote "Residente Temporal" twice and "X" off the Tarjeta Residente Temporal section for both sides.
There shouldn't be any question that I'm a resident at this point.

Can residents use the lane for Mexican Nationals when arriving in a Mexican airport?
I didn't have an issue doing this when I walked into Mexico.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Sep 4, 2022 at 7:06 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
What a relief.
My facilitator told me that another Temporary Resident lost his status because he entered as tourist and didn't find out until he switched to Permanent Resident.

-------yes, this is happening to more than one RT or even RP

Showing the passport and residency card and getting a stamp is easier then having a form be filled out and hopefully the INM officer doesn't screw up.

I did the form online and hand wrote "Residente Temporal" twice and "X" off the Tarjeta Residente Temporal section for both sides.
There shouldn't be any question that I'm a resident at this point.

-------in the past we have had keep then show the part of the form INM stamped as RT or RP received when we exited, so there has never been an issue. The online form didn't/couldn't apply to an RT or RP. Since you walked in I guess this wasn't the procedure....

Can residents use the lane for Mexican Nationals when arriving in a Mexican airport?
I didn't have an issue doing this when I walked into Mexico.
-------yes an RT or RP can use the Mexican Nationals' line, no problema

-------enjoy your visit ! 🇲🇽
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús

Looks like they were doing both, the old and new way for tourists.
One line to the right had a QR code on a banner and the middle line (clearly marked for tourists) didn't have a banner. I choose the left lane because the lead INM officer directed me after I asked him where Residents/Citizens go to.

Entered MZT with my resident card.
The INM officer accepted the online forms I printed and did it again with the official forms (not sure why Alaska didn't hand them out).

I don't think he really needed the forms because I saw him run my passport through the keyboard, scan the 2d barcode on the back side of my resident card and stamped my passport. He took both "entrada" and "salida" forms and stamped them both and told me in Spanish that I only need my card when I leave and welcomed me. Puzzled, I went back and he told me the same thing in English.

Since (legally) I'm a resident even if I'm registered elsewhere, he didn't ask any questions.

In the lobby near check-in, the INM office appeared to be closed.
And, there I figured out why I only needed my card as somebody from the National Guard with some kind of device and walking up the line in front of the counters, presumably to do the outbound checks.

I guess I will find out what happens when I check out.
I'm not sure if this is a hybrid method of dealing with residents or if this is a separate pilot program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.