Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Enough w/ the tossing mud against the OP.

The OP doesn't owe us an explanation re: the meeting. Even if it was booked solely to get the 10 nights credit etc etc, Marriott at the time had a legitimate program which allowed someone to book a meeting that garnered them 10 nights/credit per meeting.Marriott itself created that program.

If the OP met the T&Cs of the program that Marriott itself created, then the OP is owed the 10 nights credit. It's as simple as that.

To the OP - trying to get a refund (IMO) is nuts on your part. If you did hold the meeting, there's nothing to refund. Trying to get the 10 nights credit, however, is valid. Focus your attention on that.

Cheers.
With all due respect, we're not throwing mud but simply asking a question that OP doesn't seem to want to answer.

For example, I asked one of our marketing folks to organize a breakfast meeting. They checked out a couple of venues and gave me a budget. I didn't tell them to book it in my name or to pick Marriott over Hilton as I would be uncomfortable doing so. I'm definitely not a professional meeting organizer and think that both Marriott and Hilton offer various incentives to hold these meetings at their property.

Here OP is asking for our advice on how to pursue a refund. Before we can advise, we should hear from OP regarding the nature of catering, AV, etc. If OP spent $1000-1500 on a meeting and the property didn't properly cater or support the meeting, we'd like to help and offer our ideas. Of course, its helpful if OP describes the situation and property in case some of us want to take those comments into consideration if we are considering holding a meeting at that venue.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Seems to me if OP followed pre Aug 18 program rules and did the event before, then he should certainly get the 10 nights. Not sure why people would attack him/ her? Based on how described by OP, OP followed terms and conditions. It doesn't matter if OP only had 2 person meeting, spent nothing on catering, as long as OP followed program convention.

I am really surprised Marriott would do integration in middle of year like this as it screws up planning for so many people and there are so many technical issues ... can only cause anger among consumer base. I am still willing to be loyal to Marriott unless I get screwed (I have not yet and been happy overall with merger) but it does make sense to have a back up plan.

The CS is just awful. I feel like I am dealing with a Soviet era state-owned enterprise. The CS follow up has been atrocious which I think could have been mitigated if they did th integration on January 1. Fewer questions by people.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mingzie
We've had rep confirmation that all meetings ​​​​​​booked and taking place before the merger will have old t and c honoured.
Do you have links to a post confirming that or to something online that would confirm that? I'm trying to amass the supporting documentation proactively. I have a similar situation and am giving time for the dust to settle but want to make sure I have the necessary info to properly back up my claim.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SHLTP

1. Seems to me if OP followed pre Aug 18 program rules and did the event before, then he should certainly get the 10 nights. Not sure why people would attack him/ her? Based on how described by OP, OP followed terms and conditions. It doesn't matter if OP only had 2 person meeting, spent nothing on catering, as long as OP followed program convention.

2. I am really surprised Marriott would do integration in middle of year like this as it screws up planning for so many people and there are so many technical issues ... can only cause anger among consumer base. I am still willing to be loyal to Marriott unless I get screwed (I have not yet and been happy overall with merger) but it does make sense to have a back up plan.

The CS is just awful. I feel like I am dealing with a Soviet era state-owned enterprise. The CS follow up has been atrocious which I think could have been mitigated if they did th integration on January 1. Fewer questions by people.
1. Agree. If the OP met the prior rules, which as was noted, have been around for years,, s/he is entitled to the ight credit.

2. Agree. I (personally) think it was 100% nuts by MAR to implement a new program mid-year w/ some things till be considered if done by end of year & a new program name being implemented in 2019. IMO they should have announced mid-year & said hey, all this will happen 1/1/19. But alas, that ship has sailed.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:00 pm

Marriott is not helping us out after 3 weeks. Its been a month since my meeting. I am losing out on status benefits. Marriott why?? We are entitled to the 10 nights

No customer service whatsoever
You have a separate thread started re: this. Keep the posts in that thread.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Seems to me if OP followed pre Aug 18 program rules and did the event before, then he should certainly get the 10 nights. Not sure why people would attack him/ her? Based on how described by OP, OP followed terms and conditions. It doesn't matter if OP only had 2 person meeting, spent nothing on catering, as long as OP followed program convention.
I'm not attacking OP. Just asking for more info that OP can share with others regarding the meeting and the property.

Of course, there is a potential problem that people holding two person meetings without any catering and constantly emailing CS leads to "cry wolf" syndrome that crowds the phone/email lines and leads CS to blow off people who held something other than a 2 person meeting
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:11 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Just a data point, I did a cheap meeting at an airport Springhill Suites on Friday. My stays and points posted today in my account.
is this your first meeting of the year ?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Marriott has no response at all to several queries after a month,
I'm curious how they have not replied for a month to points posting after the program merger 23 days ago?

But again - the question was answered in post #10 . OP, perhaps you take that advice, which is what you asked for, and let us know the result.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 10, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What does your event contract say about the nights credit? I'm relatively new to the Rewarding Events program myself, so I'm curious as to how the pre-8/18 contracts differ from the current ones (of which I have a few).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

i remember reading how marriott would handle meetings after the merger date but i can not remember where it was shown. do you have the link? also, dont link to one of the blowhard bloggers as that is essentially worthless in the grand scheme of things. you didnt make decisions off of what a blowhard blogger said did you?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Except the old Rewarding Events program was around for years. They could have easily put a stop to it long ago but never did. I think the “Platinum Status In $800” thread was started in 2008 or so and was Stickied...it’s not like it was a secret.

I know it was.
that isnt the point.
the new T&Cs CLEARLY relay what marriot thinks of the idea NOW. (maybe because of things like the limited time only LTPP or maybe because it will be harder for low night SPGers to qualify for plat etc - or maybe because they just decided to change their minds...)
would you take the risk? I wouldnt. thats been my whole and only point.

what the rules were, or what you could get away with back then doesnt matter. marriot feels strongly enough about the situation to say 'do this and we will close your account'. thats a pretty weighty threat. what are you going to do, sue them? if marriot had a dollar for every threatened lawsuit from an unsatisfied member they wouldnt need to sell hotel rooms, just collect those dollars.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by stant
I know it was.
that isnt the point.
the new T&Cs CLEARLY relay what marriot thinks of the idea NOW. (maybe because of things like the limited time only LTPP or maybe because it will be harder for low night SPGers to qualify for plat etc - or maybe because they just decided to change their minds...)
would you take the risk? I wouldnt. thats been my whole and only point.

what the rules were, or what you could get away with back then doesnt matter. marriot feels strongly enough about the situation to say 'do this and we will close your account'. thats a pretty weighty threat. what are you going to do, sue them? if marriot had a dollar for every threatened lawsuit from an unsatisfied member they wouldnt need to sell hotel rooms, just collect those dollars.
The OP booked & did the meeting event BEFORE 8/18, so pre-8/18 rules apply. That would be true for a multitude of things, not just meeting events.

Also, the OP hasn't threatened to sue MAR nor has MAR threatened to close the OP's account. Let's dial it down a bit.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, apologies, meant to say nights. And yes, this is the first meeting of the year.
Venezuela-Miami, bhrubin and xar like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
With all due respect, we're not throwing mud but simply asking a question that OP doesn't seem to want to answer.

Here OP is asking for our advice on how to pursue a refund. Before we can advise, we should hear from OP regarding the nature of catering, AV, etc.
I respectfully disagree as there has been mudslinging and general attack on OP with virtually no useful replies. The type of meeting, who attended, how much money was spent, etc. has NOTHING to do with the question, PERIOD.

To the OP, you won’t get a refund if you held the meeting. Write a letter/email to customer service and document everything in a constructive and positive manner. your ask is simply this - provide the EQN. You can also send a note to the Marriott social media accounts.

everyone else needs to chill.

Last edited by Collierkr; Sep 11, 2018 at 6:52 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The OP booked & did the meeting event BEFORE 8/18, so pre-8/18 rules apply. That would be true for a multitude of things, not just meeting events.

Also, the OP hasn't threatened to sue MAR nor has MAR threatened to close the OP's account. Let's dial it down a bit.

Cheers.
Why is this such a fight?
the pre aug 18th rules say (loosely) have a meeting - get 10 EQNs. This gave people a way to game the system and marriot looked the other way.
any reasonable person would understand that marriot holds all of the cards here. they can do pretty much whatever they want. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from saying 'paying the least you can for 1 room to sit in and twiddle your thumbs is not a 'meeting' so no EQNs for you - oh by the way, account closed'.

the OP did bring up 'the law', so while he might not have said 'omg ima sue!' the implication was at least there.
marriot didnt say they are going to close his account, but the new T&Cs DO say they will close the accounts of members who behave in a way that it looks like the OP (and many others) may have done.

I'm not attacking the guy. I'm simply not saying 'omg, big bad company lied, you are totally right!!!!!'.
marriot apparently has a dim view of this behavior right now, so I warned the guy in case he didnt know. thats it. thats all I did. nothing more. I was in good faith trying to look out for him.

for the sake of pete!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.