Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:06 am

Can you apply for the Personal and the Biz at the same time?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite (Star Alliance Gold), Starwood Elite Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by plannerboy
Apply TODAY through the link three posts above this and get the first year for free and a 15K bonus.
Without putting my old/other AMEX numbers right? (they ask for it)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Daemon
Without putting my old/other AMEX numbers right? (they ask for it)
I didn't put my old number in. And I have a different Amex card and I didn't offer that either. I was approved in 30 seconds.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:14 am

This is a great deal, especially for Canadian cards. Most folks value 1 SPG point at 4-5 cpm, so this is like getting a 60-75K sign up bonus. With the fee waived first year, it's probably the best Canadian CC offer I've seen in, like EVER! Wife, son & I just got the personal, and I got the Biz for our Charitable Organization.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It's the 3rd year in a row that they've offered a waived fee. I'm hoping they repeat for year #4.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:07 am

according to my most recent conversation to an AMEX csr, they have severely limited the number of credit cards you can have at any one time to TWO.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by dnotes
according to my most recent conversation to an AMEX csr, they have severely limited the number of credit cards you can have at any one time to TWO.
CSR must mean two credit card accounts, as opposed to charge cards? Or would this include a limit to say one charge and one credit?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite (Star Alliance Gold), Starwood Elite Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Braindrain
It's the 3rd year in a row that they've offered a waived fee. I'm hoping they repeat for year #4.
May I ask what was your yearly spend?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Daemon
May I ask what was your yearly spend?
I was referring to the general promo for everyone. The SPG Amex was introduced 3 years ago and, every year on the anniversary, there's the general promo like the one now for a waived fee and 10K/15K bonus points.

Yearly spend is pathetic since very few stores in YVR accept Amex - and I don't go to to Costco. If I was able to move my CIBC Aerogold purchases to my Amex, my yearly spend would normalize around $60-70K. I just finished a renovation last year so it would've been bumped up over $100K.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by dnotes
U paid to re-up for 12.5k pts? The 1st yr free promo runs out march 30th! 15k pts
There's no guarantee of doing an instant churn. Some people have reported success with this, but it seems at least one other on here was denied.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I spend about $50K annually on my card.

My $30K spending bonus from Amex - SPG Gold status for a year - is now worthless . . . as I now have lifetime Gold with Starwood.

My $40K spending bonus from Amex - a free weekend night in a Cat 1 - 4 property - is now greatly, greatly devalued . . . as any of the hotels that I would normally stay at (staycations at Westin Calgary, Sheraton Calgary Eau Claire; vacation at Westin Kierland) are all now bumped up to Category 5. (There are now ZERO Cat 4 hotels in downtown Calgary. For a staycation in my home town, I'd need to stay at the airport Sheraton -- which will not happen.) While I'm sure many will still get benefit from this, it's an un-usable reward for me thanks to Starwood's category changes last month.

My Amex is up for renewal shortly, so I called them to discuss. After all, it's a pretty major reduction in value to me for this card -- so I'm not just going to re-up for another year.

The agent offered to do nothing for me at all. (She was very nice and expressed empathy, but offered absolutely nothing to help restore the value of the card to me.)

When I asked why I should NOT cancel, she read through a list of stuff like "rental car insurance". Woo-freakin-hoo. Doesn't pretty much every card do that now?

When I said, "I'm cancelling" she (very politely) expressed regret. And that was it. "So sorry to see you go, Mr. Customer."

Bye bye, Amex.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
The trick seems to be getting transferred to the cancellation department, who actually have some ability to negotiate something to keep you from cancelling. I don't know why they don't automatically transfer some people.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Re-applied

Cancelled in mid-March and reapplied last week of March. When I cancelled, I was offered either $150 gift card from a number of retailers or 7,500 SPG points with an annual spend of ~$35K. Gold status is useless as I am Gold lifetime, and currently Platinum for 5 years consecutive. I reapplied in the last week of March and instantly approved. Just receive my new card in the mail on Thursday, with the annual fee waived for year one and the possibility in picking up an additional 15K poinst. Interesting whereby my last card, I was approved for a credit limit of less than $5K. My new issued card, with no material change in personal financial income or history, was issued with a credit limit over $10K. Go figure...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
Interesting whereby my last card, I was approved for a credit limit of less than $5K. My new issued card, with no material change in personal financial income or history, was issued with a credit limit over $10K. Go figure...
It was well known that Amex last year (and perhaps the year before that) was taking a much closer look at their credit limits based on potential outstanding liabilities. Tons of people were given downgraded credit limits with no warning at all. I think they're now starting to ease up.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Tried searching but I didn't see anything...

Does the free night @ 40K give stay\night credit?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.