Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by dnotes
So I applied via the no fee + 15k bonus pts, the points just posted on my statement this cycle. Sweet!
I applied for this promo for my sister, and she was approved, but hasn't received the 15K points. Was there a minimum spend amount, from what you can recall? She's spend under $500 on the card so far.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by roadtripman
I applied for this promo for my sister, and she was approved, but hasn't received the 15K points. Was there a minimum spend amount, from what you can recall? She's spend under $500 on the card so far.
It was $1,000 within 3 months for me on the promo that ended March 30.

The current offer says "To qualify for the Bonus Starpoints, you must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date."
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by gregv
It was $1,000 within 3 months for me on the promo that ended March 30.

The current offer says "To qualify for the Bonus Starpoints, you must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date."
Is it 3 months from date of activation, or when they mailed the card?

She waited about a month before activating the card - she might be out of luck, from what it sounds like.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:21 am

New SPG link with 15k bonus and fee waived?

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if one of you is able to provide the new link for 1st year fee waived and bonus 15 k points.

I have tried some of the link posted here but when I click apply now, it bring me to another page and says the offer is no longer available

Thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
the spg homepage has this offer still to july 31 (15,000 points, no fee , have to spend 1000$, rsvp code 1500) but clicking through says not available online; phoned AMX Canada & they say no such offer (have to pay the fee) and told to phone SPg; phone SPG and get transferred to Amex.. no such offer as have to pay fee as Canadian. The SPG homepage is at fault it seems. Asked for them to fix it . wait and see.....
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:55 pm

Just received most recent 15k bonus URL http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...ff_15_en.shtml
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:40 pm

Hello Thanks for the link.
The link provided is the regular one , and must pay the 120 annual fee.
I also had the link with fee waiver, however link when click says offer no longer available
weird
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Take a screenshot of the offer...

I recently applied using the 15k no fee link on spg.com and received approval email.
When you click the link it gives you a more detailed summary but it doesn't say the fee will be waived anywhere. I called Amex and the rep couldn't do anything to ensure the offer so I told him I took a screenshot of the SPG web page in case the fee gets applied. He agreed that it was a good idea.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:07 am

Link

Here it is: http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...CPID=100033466

Fee is not waived, but 15k points. However around 4 months ago there was both fee waived and 15k (with 3k spend) so unless u really need the points i would suggest waiting.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold,
Try the following link. Signed up last night. 15,000 pts. $120 fee is waived for the first year. Exp July 31, 2012.

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...CPID=100033475
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the link!

However I ordered a card on Monday without this promotion so I will be charged for the 120$. I called AMEX and they say that I can cancel that card when I receive it and then ask for a new card through that promotion. It does make sense.

But on June 22nd, I am going to SFO and I am staying at a Starwood property for three nights (675$). I don't think I would be able to get the second card in time. Do you think 120 $ worth more than 3x the points I could earn by putting the hotel bill on that card? (While writing this, I realize that the answer is YES... But would like to confirm with others!)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jet777Boy
But on June 22nd, I am going to SFO and I am staying at a Starwood property for three nights (675$). I don't think I would be able to get the second card in time. Do you think 120 $ worth more than 3x the points I could earn by putting the hotel bill on that card? (While writing this, I realize that the answer is YES... But would like to confirm with others!)
are you by chance confusing the SPG program with the Amex SPG credit card? 3x points is an offer from SPG. You can pay with any credit card.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
are you by chance confusing the SPG program with the Amex SPG credit card? 3x points is an offer from SPG. You can pay with any credit card.
Maybe I am!

Ok, I thought that when you use your Amex SPG at Starwood property you get automatically 3X of the points. I understand that you can pay with any other credit card, but I thought the real benefit of using the Amex SPG at starwood is to get the points for your stay + the points because you are using the Amex SPG.

I was wondering if I should accept the Amex SPG with a 120$ annual fee (and use it in SFO) or wait, cancel first card and get the Amex SPG with the annual fee waived for the first year (which I won't get in time for SFO) and use my regular VISA to pay the hotel in SFO.

I think the answer is to wait for the non-annual fee card.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jet777Boy
Maybe I am!

Ok, I thought that when you use your Amex SPG at Starwood property you get automatically 3X of the points. I understand that you can pay with any other credit card, but I thought the real benefit of using the Amex SPG at starwood is to get the points for your stay + the points because you are using the Amex SPG.

I was wondering if I should accept the Amex SPG with a 120$ annual fee (and use it in SFO) or wait, cancel first card and get the Amex SPG with the annual fee waived for the first year (which I won't get in time for SFO) and use my regular VISA to pay the hotel in SFO.

I think the answer is to wait for the non-annual fee card.
The Starwood Preferred Guest program is the Starwood Hotels frequent guest program which rewards you for your stays at Starwood Hotels. You can use your points for free nights at Starwood Hotels and other things.

The Amex SPG credit card is an Amex card that is co-branded with SPG and earns you points for your spend no matter where you use it. Those points are credited to your SPG account for you to use on free nights, etc.

So, if you have an SPG account, and have signed up for their current "Nice Choice" promotion, you will get your bonus regardless of what credit card you pay with. Make sure your SPG number is registered on your reservation. The only advantage to paying for your stay would be the 1 point per dollar spent for your stay. It will have no impact on the normal point earning.

hope that helps.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:29 pm

There is a promotion running until the end of July on the Canadian SPG amex that gives an additional point per dollar when paying for charges at SPG properties. So two points per dollar plus the 2 or 3 you get from SPG itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.