Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, millions of points scattered across thousands of other programs...
Confusion

Hi folks,

Maybe someone here can help me out. I searched hi and low for an AMEX card that was starwood branded but like a traditional amex. All I found was the credit card, which didn't suit my needs.

Is there a Starwood branded American Express charge card, ala the Aeroplan cards, available in Canada?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by ommoran
Is there a Starwood branded American Express charge card, ala the Aeroplan cards, available in Canada?
No
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ommoran
Hi folks,

Maybe someone here can help me out. I searched hi and low for an AMEX card that was starwood branded but like a traditional amex. All I found was the credit card, which didn't suit my needs.

pardon my naivety but from a functional point of view, what's the difference if you pay your bill in whole every month? Is it just the credit limit?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Be prepared to fight for your referral bonus! I referred my sister back in July, and called Amex 5 times to get my 5000 pt referral bonus. (I kept track of the dates and who I spoke to each time.) This week they told me it was posted into my account on Jan 4th, so should be transferred to SPG on the 27th (today). I asked about courtesy points for the hassle, so they gave me an extra 1000. So that's 200 pts per phone call.
My 5000 referral bonus pts finally posted, but of course, no courtesy pts. Sigh, I'll call them tomorrow. Guess they didn't realize who they were dealing with!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Just had the $120 membership fee post to my account.

Called to cancel the card, they offered me a $125 gift card to Gap/Keg/Holt Renfrew and ~15 others. I asked for points, they offered 10,000, and I accepted.

Spent between 30-40k... But I have auto-pay, so paid my balance in full monthly.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My 5000 referral bonus pts finally posted, but of course, no courtesy pts. Sigh, I'll call them tomorrow. Guess they didn't realize who they were dealing with!
I hope you'll ask for courtesy points for the non-posted courtesy points!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:08 am
alc

Is current promo is a target offer?

Is current promo with "1st yr no fee" a target offer? Reason for my question is that I just noticed that I got different offer when I login to my SPG account (Gold) vs my wife SPG account (Basic):

My Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...yf_15_en.shtml

My Wife Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...ff_15_en.shtml

The only difference is the annual fee not wavied on the one off my wife account. Everything else seems to be the same.

Anyone else noticed this?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX/Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So for now, no access at all to my account !
YUL,

I hd the same thing happen when I applied for my card a year ago. AMEX had SPG create a new account (even tho I upplied my SPG number on the application). I had to call in and have my accounts merged. Basically they transferred my points from my old account to my new one.

In other news; I just cancelled my card this week (to avoid the annual fee of course) nd will try to get in on this 15K free before the end of March. 15k is a lot of hotels stays pro bono(if you redeem at the right properties)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by miles85

In other news; I just cancelled my card this week (to avoid the annual fee of course) nd will try to get in on this 15K free before the end of March. 15k is a lot of hotels stays pro bono(if you redeem at the right properties)

My experience hasn't worked out well.

I cancelled my SPG Amex, waited a while, and reapplied. my application was never accepted (and never actually refused either). I still hold an SPG Amex for Business.

My spend on each card is about $10-20K per year.
My goal, of course, is maximum SPG bonus points.

Amex told me over the phone that they don't want cardholders who cancel and reapply later. (Fair enough, I understand that. But for years it's been SOP for phone agents to try to get me to sign up for new cards as a current cardholder. Must be my fault for accepting.)

Should I be able to hold an SPG Amex and an SPG Amex for Business?
What timeframe should I be using?
What am I doing wrong?

Let me know, Canadian FT'ers. (Don't hold back in your comments; I want to learn.)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by jerry305
My experience hasn't worked out well.

I cancelled my SPG Amex, waited a while, and reapplied. my application was never accepted (and never actually refused either). I still hold an SPG Amex for Business.

My spend on each card is about $10-20K per year.
My goal, of course, is maximum SPG bonus points.

Amex told me over the phone that they don't want cardholders who cancel and reapply later. (Fair enough, I understand that. But for years it's been SOP for phone agents to try to get me to sign up for new cards as a current cardholder. Must be my fault for accepting.)

Should I be able to hold an SPG Amex and an SPG Amex for Business?
What timeframe should I be using?
What am I doing wrong?

Let me know, Canadian FT'ers. (Don't hold back in your comments; I want to learn.)
I'm constantly churning AMEX cards.

My third CDN SPG AMEX since its launch is on its way to me now. I also currently have the AMEX Gold Rewards Card, AMEX Aeroplan Plat and no fee AMEX Costco Plat. I keep the no fee card solely to maintain the fairly high credit limit the AMEX has granted me over the years.

Each time I apply for the SPG card I have them move 20K from my Costco AMEX credit limit. When I cancel the SPG card I have them move the 20K credit back to the Costco Card and then I reapply again.

When I get my latest SPG AMEX I will cancel the Aero Plat and apply again for the 50K sign-up bonus.

Last edited by yycworldtraveler; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:27 pm

I've had the chipped card for several months now and still I've only had it work successfully at Wal-Mart, the LCBO and the new Subway at YYZ. At the other several dozen locations that I've tried to use the chip, it's not accepted. I either have to swipe it (after having the chip rejected—the POS machines sense the chip, so don't allow one to swipe first) or the clerk has to key in the card number. I've only twice had store employees think I was somehow trying to scam them.

Getting very annoying...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I've had the chipped card for several months now and still I've only had it work successfully at Wal-Mart, the LCBO and the new Subway at YYZ. At the other several dozen locations that I've tried to use the chip, it's not accepted. I either have to swipe it (after having the chip rejected—the POS machines sense the chip, so don't allow one to swipe first) or the clerk has to key in the card number. I've only twice had store employees think I was somehow trying to scam them.

Getting very annoying...
I've had 100% acceptance rate while travelling in Europe with the chip and PIN card. It's solely up to the vendor, if they have their software and the credit card processor set up to accept chip and PIN, which is defined by credit card type. However, most employees aren't made aware of this fact. They simply think since it is a chip and PIN card, regardless of credit card type, it should be dipped and not swiped. Very annoying, indeed.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:27 am

I applied for a business card that came with the chip and PIN - after having it work exactly once in almost 3 months I gave up and leave it in my wallet. It managed to make something that should be easy a make it a PITA.

Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
I've had 100% acceptance rate while travelling in Europe with the chip and PIN card. It's solely up to the vendor, if they have their software and the credit card processor set up to accept chip and PIN, which is defined by credit card type. However, most employees aren't made aware of this fact. They simply think since it is a chip and PIN card, regardless of credit card type, it should be dipped and not swiped. Very annoying, indeed.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Man, my card is wearing out and i dread the thought of getting a new one that will be such an inconvenience.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by alc
Is current promo with "1st yr no fee" a target offer? Reason for my question is that I just noticed that I got different offer when I login to my SPG account (Gold) vs my wife SPG account (Basic):

My Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...yf_15_en.shtml

My Wife Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...ff_15_en.shtml

The only difference is the annual fee not wavied on the one off my wife account. Everything else seems to be the same.

Anyone else noticed this?
It MIGHT be targeted as I had the same situation, but regardless I applied for the No FEe card for my wife as well and it was accepted. Just use the link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.