FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian SPG American Express
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:13 am
yycworldtraveler

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by jerry305
My experience hasn't worked out well.

I cancelled my SPG Amex, waited a while, and reapplied. my application was never accepted (and never actually refused either). I still hold an SPG Amex for Business.

My spend on each card is about $10-20K per year.
My goal, of course, is maximum SPG bonus points.

Amex told me over the phone that they don't want cardholders who cancel and reapply later. (Fair enough, I understand that. But for years it's been SOP for phone agents to try to get me to sign up for new cards as a current cardholder. Must be my fault for accepting.)

Should I be able to hold an SPG Amex and an SPG Amex for Business?
What timeframe should I be using?
What am I doing wrong?

Let me know, Canadian FT'ers. (Don't hold back in your comments; I want to learn.)
I'm constantly churning AMEX cards.

My third CDN SPG AMEX since its launch is on its way to me now. I also currently have the AMEX Gold Rewards Card, AMEX Aeroplan Plat and no fee AMEX Costco Plat. I keep the no fee card solely to maintain the fairly high credit limit the AMEX has granted me over the years.

Each time I apply for the SPG card I have them move 20K from my Costco AMEX credit limit. When I cancel the SPG card I have them move the 20K credit back to the Costco Card and then I reapply again.

When I get my latest SPG AMEX I will cancel the Aero Plat and apply again for the 50K sign-up bonus.

Last edited by yycworldtraveler; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:34 am