Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problem at a Marriott – Warning Rant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre

I have lurked in this forum occasionally, but this is my first post here. Sadly, it’s not about a good situation. I have stayed at Marriott on and off for years, and over the past two years have been averaging 200 nights a year with Marriott. This is the first time I have ever had to complain.

My wife and I went on Holiday and were spending 4 nights at a the JW Marriott in Phuket, Thailand on points. We booked this before the new point’s policy and they didn’t have saver nights, so it was expensive, but we thought it would be worth it.

Prior to arrival, the concierge e-mailed us and welcomed us, helped us arrange some activities, and stated that since we are Platinum, she will offer us 20% off on all dining at the hotel.

When we arrived, the bathroom in our room was dirty. We complained, and nothing was done. The public restroom was substantially worse. We booked 90 minute massages, and were given 60 minute massages. When we complained, we were told that the spa was closing, and they wanted to get out. We asked for 1/3 of our money back, and were told that they can’t do that on a service we already received.

The next day, we were gone all day, came back and our room was still dirty. The day after, we continued to have problems with rude staff, our bathroom still not being clean, and numerous other issues that I won’t go into. We finally asked if we could be re-accommodated. We were told they cannot put us in any other rooms, or any other property. So we asked to leave. We then got our things paid $300 to change our flight to our next location early, and spent 50,000 in points to stay at another Marriott for the remaining 2 nights.

When they presented us our bill, they had not given us the 20% off on our dining. We complained, and they said that we don’t get the discount since we didn’t buy a timeshare. I explained that the Concierge stated we would get 20% off. They said we won’t and told us to just sign the bill and leave. I asked for a manager. The manager said that I was mistaken and said she wanted proof that I was told we would get 20% off. I pulled out my computer and showed her the e-mail. She said it was wrong, and they won’t give us the discount since we stayed on points. I reiterated that is specifically said that as platinum guests, we would get 20% of on all food/dining and that we made the reservation on points before the concierge extended us this offer. She told me that, “Platinum means nothing.” I still refused to sign, and she said they would not let us take the airport shuttle until we signed. I signed, “Under Protest.”

I e-mailed Elite Customer Service and stated the situation, and stated that I am out the $300 on my own, and I am aware of that, but that I would like the 50,000 points back for the two unused nights, since the hotel could not provide a clean room, and since we had to spend another 50,000 points to re-accommodate ourselves. I also asked that they have the hotel enforce the 20% off as we have it in writing and forwarded the e-mail from the concierge.
I got an e-mail back, saying that my e-mail was forwarded to the Hotel for review. A few days later, someone from the hotel e-mailed me, and apologized, and stated they would give me 25,000 points for the inconvenience. I forwarded it back to the Marriott elite CS e-mail and said this was unacceptable. I got a quick reply saying that in disputes, they always side with the Hotel over the customer. I wrote again outlining the exact problems, and asking that Marriott make up the difference and credit us the remaining 25,000 points we are out. A week later, got a reply from the hotel, (it had been forwarded again). This time it said they have discussed my situation, and decided to give us the discount on 1 of our meals only, and that the next time we use their spa, they will give us extra time to make up for the short service.

I e-mailed the elite CS again and again said I was not happy with the outcome, that I would like the 25,000 points I am still out back, as well as the full discount, and as a compromise, I would let the short spa service thing go.

I got no reply for 10 days, and wrote again asking why I have not received a reply. I got an almost immediate reply saying the hotel already gave me 25,000 points and a discount on 1 meal, and that that was more than enough and that I have already been told that they side with the hotel in all disputes.

So, my questions are. Did I ask for too much? Am I out of line? What would others have done? What would have been fair? I am not asking for more that I think I am entitled to, in fact, I feel like I am asking for less than I what would make me whole again.

Thanks,
Emanon

Last edited by emanon256; Jun 22, 2009 at 8:53 am Reason: Put in hotels name per below reply.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by emanon256
I won’t name it to save them face, but if you must know, please PM me.
Thanks,
Emanon
Don't understand not posting the property's name. The major purposed of FT is sharing information so that we can take advantage of good deals and good properties, and avoid hotels that are below par. When you feel that a property has failed your expectations to the point of posting here, why are you concerned that the property "save face"?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by ohmark
Don't understand not posting the property's name. The major purposed of FT is sharing information so that we can take advantage of good deals and good properties, and avoid hotels that are below par. When you feel that a property has failed your expectations to the point of posting here, why are you concerned that the property "save face"?
I was trying to be polite as it may just be an isolated incident. But if you think its appropriate, I will edit it to include the name. I just don't want to be accused of slander.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
FWIW I think you ahve not asked for too much. I am just amazed that you had such problems at the JW on Phuket which is often cited by me and many others as one of the best Marriott properties.

Maybe Marriott Concierge on this forum can help?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Since you did not receive satisfaction from the hotel or CS, I suggest you write a another letter:

Mr. J.W. Marriott, Jr.
Marriott International, Inc.
1 Marriott Drive
Washington DC, 20058
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Based on what you've wrote, I definitely do not think you asked for too much.

Sticking just to the basics: getting the 50k back should be a no-brainer. In fact, getting your entire award refunded is the right client-service approach, assuming that the situation really was this bad.

I don't quite understand the spa issue: usually at spas there are two prices posted (for short and long massages). Was this some sort of prepaid deal? At some point, I'd consider contesting the charge with my credit card company.

I also don't understand the timeshare angle. If you're there on an award, you are definitely not obligated to view a timeshare. As we all know, you'll be offered sometime to view one, but the offer is usually very clear and substantially more than 20% off meals. Although I personally find the entire timeshare industry rather distasteful, I will say that Marriott's people generally run a cleaner and more professional operation than a lot of the others.

You didn't specify, but it sounds like you were at a JW "resort". This is yet another example of Platinums getting shoddy treatment at properties that Marriott has deemed a "resort". I have come to avoid these kinds of properties whenever possible...and it's causing me to move more and more business to other chains.

Sorry to hear you had a bad stay...I don't think you're over the top for asking for your points back. And yes, on FT we generally aren't bashful about naming properties. If I'm writing something negative, I do try to stick to the most pertinent objective facts though - and I'd do the same in any complaint letter to Marriott. Keep it tight, focused on the main problems, and it's more impactful and less likely to be interpreted as someone just being "high maintenance".
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
Thumbs down

I have a hard time believing that the Spa gave you a 60 minutes massage rather than the 90 minutes! In my experience, the therapists know that an excellent massage equals good TIPS so I very much doubt that they pushed you out at 60 minutes when in fact you paid for 90 minutes!

Also why ask for a different room if the issue was slow housekeeping? So you wanted to move to a different housekeeper's section?

Sounds like you were looking for any items possible to pick a fight to get your points back because you felt that overpaid the points!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't quite understand the spa issue: usually at spas there are two prices posted (for short and long massages). Was this some sort of prepaid deal? At some point, I'd consider contesting the charge with my credit card company.
They had two prices, 1 for a 60 minute, and 1 for a 90 minute. We paid for the 90 minute. It was at 8:30pm and they closed at 10:00. At 9:25 they were done and tried to rush us out.

You didn't specify, but it sounds like you were at a JW "resort". This is yet another example of Platinums getting shoddy treatment at properties that Marriott has deemed a "resort". I have come to avoid these kinds of properties whenever possible...and it's causing me to move more and more business to other chains.
Yes, it was listed as a JW Resort and Spa. I am now worried about staying at Marriott Resorts in the future.

Thanks everyone, I am debating writing Mr. Marriott, or filing a complaint with the BBB. That would probably also reach some high up officials. I don't want to the the person who just right up to the president. Either way, I will post the outcome here.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by san2yul
I have a hard time believing that the Spa gave you a 60 minutes massage rather than the 90 minutes! In my experience, the therapists know that an excellent massage equals good TIPS so I very much doubt that they pushed you out at 60 minutes when in fact you paid for 90 minutes!

Also why ask for a different room if the issue was slow housekeeping? So you wanted to move to a different housekeeper's section?

Sounds like you were looking for any items possible to pick a fight to get your points back because you felt that overpaid the points!
Thats quite a rude post.

I never felt like I overpaid for points and were looking for any reason to get them back. I get over 700,000 points a year, so that was the least of my concerns. Also why would I pay $300 to change my tickets, just to get points back?

As for the massage, we paid for 90 minutes, and got 60. We asked to have the room cleaned, and it was never done, so we asked to be moved to a clean room since they were not cleaning it. There were stains all over the bathroom when we arrived. We even showed it to an employee who said they would deal with it, and it never happened.

Why would I make stuff up just for fun? If you have a problem with my post, PM me.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
They had two prices, 1 for a 60 minute, and 1 for a 90 minute. We paid for the 90 minute. It was at 8:30pm and they closed at 10:00. At 9:25 they were done and tried to rush us out.
But don't you usually sign the bill after the massage? Couldn't you have refused to pay the 90-minute price at that time?

Yes, it was listed as a JW Resort and Spa. I am now worried about staying at Marriott Resorts in the future.
You & me both. Don't get me wrong: there are a lot of very good Marriott hotels out there and I actually quite enjoy staying in the timeshare properties themselves. (On daily rates, knowing going in that all notions of elite status really do not exist once you are at the MVCI's.) But the "resorts" can be just brutal.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:37 am
Original Poster

But don't you usually sign the bill after the massage? Couldn't you have refused to pay the 90-minute price at that time?
They had us sign the receipt prior to going into the treatment room. When we left, there was one person left out front and our therapists. When we asked at the desk, she said they are trying to close and rushed us out. When we tried to press the issue, she just kept repeating they are closing and that we need to leave.

In a spa we went to at another hotel prior to this, we had to settle the bill beforehand as well. I just assumed this is SOP for Thailand.

You & me both. Don't get me wrong: there are a lot of very good Marriott hotels out there and I actually quite enjoy staying in the timeshare properties themselves. (On daily rates, knowing going in that all notions of elite status really do not exist once you are at the MVCI's.) But the "resorts" can be just brutal.

We have stayed at the MVCI in Singer Island, FL, Breckenridge, CO, and Las Vegas. All three were amazing! Nothing was ever said about our status, but we still got points, the 50% bonus, and the 500 welcome points.

I am not sure why the JW Resort would be so poor with service though. The JW Non-Resorts I have been to have had amazing service.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
[QUOTE=emanon256;11947940] She told me that, “Platinum means nothing.”
[/QUOTE

I got a quick reply saying that in disputes, they always side with the Hotel over the customer.

.....snip....
I got no reply for 10 days, and wrote again asking why I have not received a reply. I got an almost immediate reply saying the hotel already gave me 25,000 points and a discount on 1 meal, and that that was more than enough and that I have already been told that they side with the hotel in all disputes.
Can you provide an exact quote from the email that stated the quoted statements above? I'm curious to see how Marriott would phrase "we don't side with customers over hotels" in writing. If true, that is
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I am shocked to hear that you received this kind of treatment in Phuket. We have visited 3 times staying at both the JW Marriott and the Phuket Beach Club and have found the staff consistantly goes above and beyond the call to make your stay enjoyable. Customer service has always been outstanding. Housekeeping has always been perfect.

I am sorry to hear that so many things went wrong. I hope this was an isolated situation and that Marriott makes things right for you.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:47 am

I agree with those who say that Marriott doesn't always side with the property. Your situation should get reviewed by someone who will take a more objective view. They should do this for a guest of any status level, but for a Platinum member they should do even better.

Don't give up yet....
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DillMan
Can you provide an exact quote from the email that stated the quoted statements above? I'm curious to see how Marriott would phrase "we don't side with customers over hotels" in writing. If true, that is
Here is the e-mail and removed names. I bolded what they said. I guess what I wrote in my rant was a paraphrase of what they said, but it still sounds to me like that is what they are saying.

Dear emanon256:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Customer Care regarding your upcoming reservation(s). Please accept our apology for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay at the JW Marriott Phuket Resort and Spa.

We appreciate the time you have set aside to provide us with your valuable feedback. Your observations are most useful in our pursuit of total guest satisfaction and comments from guests such as yourself allow us to make improvements. We do have to stand behind the decisions of the hotel whenever there is a dispute. Please accept our apologies for any misunderstandings in regards to your questions on the availability of the discounts your referenced in your emails.

Mr. emanon, if we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX
Marriott Customer Care

and the most recent:

Dear Emanon,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We value your loyalty as a Marriott customer and appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

Upon receipt of your message, we reviewed the documentation of action taken regarding your concern. We determined that 25,000 Marriott Reward points and 20% off of one meal was given as a result of your reported issue.

While we appreciate you feel this is not a suitable resolution regarding this issue, we are unable to honor your request for additional compensation, based on our earlier statement that we do have to stand behind the decisions of the hotel. We hope you understand our position in this matter.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
XXXXX XXXXX
Marriott Guest Experience Supervisor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.