Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
I am sure my response will not be as specific as some of you would like, but I will try to give you a glimpse into how and why these upgrades occur. I would like to first point out, as has already been pointed out by earlier posters, that every year we renew some accounts based on unpublished criteria. Perhaps there has been a greater need this year as a result of the wide spread economic downturn. We have found that cutting a little slack to those who have shown a pattern of loyalty to Marriott in the past has resulted in increased loyalty when the individual’s travel pattern returns to normal. I am sure we do not have a perfect formula for determining when we renew and when we do not, and some potentially loyal customers slip through the cracks. Primarily we look at stay history for the past three years to make our determination. Even individuals who stayed only a few nights this year may have shown significant loyalty during the prior two years and deserve to be recognized for this by allowing them to retain their status for at least one more year.

Ira
thanks I got it now

two full (ie, 75 night years) and every third I can have an "off" year and only do a few stays

2009 is my off year

thanks for the input (seriously.. this helps make me understand the system a little more)
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Well I am shocked. I am 13 nights short and really didn't expect to keep Plat. Just called Marriott to get a paper cert for an upcoming Ritz stay and got told "Congrats we extended your plat status" So I guess I stay with them this year. (I was unemployed for about 2 months which is why I "missed")

(Not sure where I was going except maybe Hilton, Starwood's just not an option)
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I have yet to see an overcrowded lounge

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Let me see.....

If 11 nights gets Gold and 37 nights get Platinum, I wonder what my 216 nights will get me?

Wait I know..... an overcrowded concierge lounge!!!
i stay at probably 50% FS out of my 120 nights and i can not recall a crowded lounge, i usually only go in morning for breakfast and get some water at night
Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
You clearly aren't staying at the FS marriott's and Renaissance's I am because 80% of them already have a "wait list" for a table at breakfast at 8:00 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
I'm at 26 nights this year and was pleasantly surprised with my 2009 Plat card in the mail last week. By the end of October I had given up on even getting Gold this year (I had 120+ nights last year). Agree that this makes terrific business sense -- it will definitely result in me steering more nights to Marriott in '09.

I also have to agree that giving more than is due to others doesn't mean that those who met the original criteria are losing out. I've been on the other end of this type of situation in the past with other programs. You're still getting what you earned and no less -- complaints have little merit.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
We have found that cutting a little slack to those who have shown a pattern of loyalty to Marriott in the past has resulted in increased loyalty when the individual’s travel pattern returns to normal.
I can say it worked for me.

I started a year as silver (worked for another company but didn't travel as much). Then I was reading these forums and a Gold opportunity came a long (one of those promotions) and I grabbed it. Few months later when I was about 20 nights short of Plat and already reached Gold for next year I've called MR and asked them for the Plat challenge. And with 3 months 18 nights condition I was given one. As I sit now I am at 89 nights for 2008 because MR program was good to me. Not only that, I've also moved from CY/RI/FI hotels to FS/Ren ones.

Now I wish I could convince rest of my company to switch to Marriotts from Hyatts. Not sure what it would take.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
two full (ie, 75 night years) and every third I can have an "off" year and only do a few stays

2009 is my off year
You're assuming that 75 nights in the prior two years is sufficient. (and I'd guess revenue mix may also be part of the equation)

And of course if 2009 is "off" and something happens to make in 2010 or 2011 "off", you may not get the clemency..
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
After 3 years as Platinum, I finished with 43 nights for 2008 (including CC bonus)... logged on a minute ago and there was a message that I had requalified as Platinum for 2009 Sweet...
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:14 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up Loyalty has it's merits!

It amazes me how many, who want Platinum Elite upgrades do not show much loyalty and are ready to jump ship, when they image they have been slighted! Not much loyalty is shown when a switch is make to another chain for the slightest of reasons given.

Yet, I wonder how many years in addition over the recent three years, they stuck with Marriott in GQQD and bad times. Was their revenue produced for the cheapest of company stays, if they were loyal for higher priced leisure stays, and do they have any significant Reservations for 2009 other then company business? Is there any History to consider loyalty?@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Let's look at it from Marriott's point of view: what is the true cost vs benefit to extending Plat. status for a long-time customer that's had a lot of stays in the past few years?

Cost? Incremental difference between gold and plat. Not really a lot of cost. Some dissension among plats that "earned it" vs those that benefited from the policy. Guaranteed room availability may be a "cost" but since those are rack rate, it may actually be increased revenue.

Benefit? Increased loyalty from those that might go elsewhere in a tough economy.

Marriott's obviously done the math and decided....
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I was very happy to receive Platinum credentials in the mail yesterday, since I had only 70 nights this year. I would have had more had the Marriott product been available at some places I stayed (Gloversville, NY, anyone?)

Over ninety percent of my hotel stays over the past ten years have been with Marriott. Even if they sent me to Gold, I would continue to stay with them. Keeping me at Plat won't cost them much.

Full disclosure: I did work for Marriott for 15 years, but not in their hotel division. That experience dedicates me more to them than any status.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by MyTravels
You're assuming that 75 nights in the prior two years is sufficient. (and I'd guess revenue mix may also be part of the equation)

And of course if 2009 is "off" and something happens to make in 2010 or 2011 "off", you may not get the clemency..
I'll take my chances
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:46 am

I just renewed gold with 52 nights, so no problem last year. But in 2009 I will end up with 30 or 40 nights. I hope that's enough for keeping gold.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:48 pm

Got plat with 37 nights.

Makes sense to me why Marriott would do this. It will definitely alter my booking habits and provides an alternative to my SPG Plat status.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I am sure my response will not be as specific as some of you would like, but I will try to give you a glimpse into how and why these upgrades occur. I would like to first point out, as has already been pointed out by earlier posters, that every year we renew some accounts based on unpublished criteria. Perhaps there has been a greater need this year as a result of the wide spread economic downturn. We have found that cutting a little slack to those who have shown a pattern of loyalty to Marriott in the past has resulted in increased loyalty when the individual’s travel pattern returns to normal. I am sure we do not have a perfect formula for determining when we renew and when we do not, and some potentially loyal customers slip through the cracks. Primarily we look at stay history for the past three years to make our determination. Even individuals who stayed only a few nights this year may have shown significant loyalty during the prior two years and deserve to be recognized for this by allowing them to retain their status for at least one more year.

Ira
Marriott wins with their gift to me.

In 2007 I earned platinum with Marriott and Starwood. In 2008 I stayed at boutiques in NYC per my client's wishes and only had 5 nights with Marriott. Marriott's gift of renewed status to me means I will shift all my 2009 business to them to the exclusion of Starwood.

Right now I'm forecasting 150 paid nights in 2009.

^ to Marriott!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.