Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Marriott giving another person status does not affect my status. Were I to take business to another chain because I had "maxed out" on MR certainly does affect the Marriott bottom line...is that unfair?
I guess I have to take the blame as back on page 1 I had one of the first posts that looked at this from a different angle. Don't get me wrong, I said then and I'll reiterate now, I'm all for Marriott helping those truly affected by the economy. Yet I can't help but think there are those who maintain status in multiple programs that will take advantage of Marriott's good graces and choose to be loyal to other programs while begging Marriott to grant them status. I realize there is no way for Marriott to differentiate between the two. I will disagree with the quote above. When you give away status to those who truly did not earn it, it affects everyone who has status. More elite points in the pool means award rooms will become scarcer, and with the elimination of stay anytime rewards (a decision I support by the way), award rooms will become even scarcer. Face it, properties aren't going to throw a significant percentage of their rooms into the award pool when they have a bottom line to meet. And I submit it's those people that will have begged Marriott for grace while maintaining status in multiple programs that will complain the loudest when they can't book their award stay when they want it.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have been Plat for 2005, 2006 and 2007. This year (due to change in travel policy) I hit only 40 nights. I would love a grace year and a chance to get back to 75 nights in 2009, which I believe to be doable.

I truly am exclusively loyal to the Marriott brand including $40,000+ invested in MVCI.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Well, by whatever formula Marriott's using to determine who gets to retain Plat status in 2009, versus who doesn't get the "free pass", you just have to remember that Marriott's doing what they think is right for Marriott (regardless of what you, I, and everyone else thinks about it). I'm sure that 2009 is a scary proposition for all of these hotel chains, so Marriott's just doing what they feel they need to do to be competitive in the New Year. Those who aren't getting the advance "free pass" for 2009 should call and make their case--it's hard to imagine Marriott not giving in if there's any compelling reason to keep you as Platinum. If Marriott still refuses, well, then I guess you can read into that decision and make some assumptions about your relative value to the Marriott Hotels chain.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Wow, I even match the 24 years! I started traveling heavily in 1984, when I worked for the government. Marriott was always the best for offering government rates, and I became fiercely loyal -- and still am.

I will have 122 paid nights this year, plus quite a few award nights. I keep hoping that somebody will smile on me and make me Platinum Premier, but I'm Lifetime Platinum and won't complain about that!

If Marriott wants to bend the rules slightly for long-time frequent guests, I'm never going to complain about it. I would hope that they might do the same for me one day if I need something like that.

Bruce
Bruce..i hope they make you PP too, but to be honest...there isn't ONE iota of difference between the 2 levels (heck, there isn't much diff bet gold and plat!)
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I was consolatory that I would be bounced down to Silver or Gold having only stayed 25 nights by Mid-Aug, and then I received a letter from MR, about staying another 18nights before 31st Dec and I would keep my PLT status.

It was a hard push with only two months left, but managed to reorganise a few trips to make it.

Hopefully it will be worthwhile, even if just for the pitiful upgrades.

BM
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Just another thought:
If a member is not "allowed" to fall back to Gold, he/she cannot qualify via the rolling period. So instead of requalifying for Plat with a few nights in early 2009 and earning Plat until 2/2011 our Plat member is "forced" to do more paid nights in 2009 to requalify for 2010.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:52 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I find it rather disgusting that Marriott was so quick to strip my Platinum status away after someone hacked my account, accusing me of "allowing such fraudulent activity to occur" even after 200+ paid nights/year for the past two years yet "the economy is so bad" that they have to relax the qualification guidelines. Oh well Starwood and Hyatt are happily receiving my revenue now-a-days.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
So much pontificating over something that Marriott has been doing for years. Go back and read post #2. FWIW, this has nothing to do with the current economy; although they might be a bit more generous now than in previous end of year reviews. So many more important things to get upset about, like that Madoff guy stealing that 2 billion from me. Everyone have a very Happy New Year!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I was worried that I was going to be downgraded with 73 nights this year but just logged in and got the requalification for PLT until Jan 2010. I don't have a lot of disposable income to do a mattress run this year but I am thankful they did this for me.....I'm usually the one to chide for getting something that is not earned and I really expected to be downgraded to gold which I wouldn't have minded.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:56 am

Just got upgrades

I just got upgraded to Gold and I was 3 nights short. I was very impressed that Marriott would do this!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not expecting this

I stayed 10 paid nights with Marriott this past year.

In August, I was specifically asked why I had cut back on staying with Marriott. I was honest and thorough in my assessment, mentioning items like no free breakfast on weekends, no real room upgrades or real benefits when I stay at a CY or FI and inadequate bonus points for stays.

I got a new PLT card for next year. 2008 was the first time I had ever hit PLT status. I do not know if my feedback yielded this card or not or whether my usage of my Marriott Visa had influence. I do know I will likely throw some extra business to Marriott I was going to give to Hilton when I have no SPG property to stay at. But I understand that those that fall just short and do not get such a comp will be annoyed and probably rightfully so.

EDITED to add: Actually, I may have been PLT 2-3 years running. I'm not quite sure. I do know I chose to move a significant amount of business to SPG this past year and I don't regret that. I will try to stay with both this year to see if the treatment of elites has improved (based on my perception, of course).

Last edited by RichMSN; Dec 29, 2008 at 12:19 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Skymiles Platinum Medallion
How are you guys checking if you are re-qualifying for next year?
In my account, it shows that I am platinum, but says:
Nights this year:

You have stayed 49 nights this year. You need 26 more nights to maintain Platinum level.

I wonder if Marriott will give me a grace year for next year.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mokura
How are you guys checking if you are re-qualifying for next year?
In my account, it shows that I am platinum, but says:
Nights this year:

You have stayed 49 nights this year. You need 26 more nights to maintain Platinum level.

I wonder if Marriott will give me a grace year for next year.
The card in the mail today with the PLT materials and the expiration date of 02/10 was the only hint. To be quite honest, I haven't thought about Marriott in months and was more than ready to change my FT profile to reflect my dropping to Silver status (I would've removed it entirely).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
RichMSN, I just got all the materials in the mail today for Platinum as well.

I only have 5 nights at a Marriott property this year.

I guess they figured that since I didn't use my platinum benefits in 08 they'd give me a shot to do it in 09.

Seriously, it seems like, there is a massive status giveaway going on.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:09 pm

I have been Gold for the past two years. This year I stayed for 33 nights. When I log in to my account I get this message:

"Congratulations, you have renewed at Gold Elite status for 2009. "

My last stay this year, the guy who was checking me in said that I achieved Gold status". I was suprised, I didn't say anything but looks like it's true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.