Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott easing requalification rules in bad economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:18 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Hello Everyone! Long time no see!

With the current economic conditions, I will not be making the 75 night for the year, and will loose my platinum status at the end of January.

Several years ago, when I was in this position they sent a letter offering to re-instate platinum status for a cost of 35,000 points. Anyone know if they still do this? While I realize this is not a great use of points, it would be a God send to keep the status through 2009 - and with my hope the economy will turn around, I should hit the required nights to renew next year.

**Marriott Concierge - Is this something you could check on? If it is not an active program, perhaps is should be considered for reactivation in light of the economy...Just my $0.02**

Miss you guys!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
If you have been Plat for a number of years, they may just keep you Plat. They did that for me one year. MC or Socrates mentioned something about this in a post somewhere, so you find more info via the search function if you like. Well I am off to my flight home. Only 37 hours to go. BTW - JW Marriott Phuket rocks.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I'm in the same situation. I'll only have 60 nights this year. I called the plat desk and they said that they didn't have anything official but they would be making accomodations. Whatever that means.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
After 3 years of PLT, I finished 2007 with just 46 nights, including 15 from the credit card. They kept my status as PLT for 2008. I did wonder if the fact that most of my nights were in the 4th quarter was a factor?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Well I am 13 short (including the credit card bump) If they don't keep me plat it might make my ongoing debate of Hilton vs. Marriott easier LOL!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
I was Platinum for 7 consecutive years and then in 2007 did no travel due to a job change. I was dropped to Silver in 2008, so have been working my way back up the ladder this year. Right now I am at 72 nights with 3 more nights booked before the end of 2008. It will be nice to be Platinum again, not for any other reason than my own satisfaction.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Lane412000
I was Platinum for 7 consecutive years and then in 2007 did no travel due to a job change. I was dropped to Silver in 2008, so have been working my way back up the ladder this year. Right now I am at 72 nights with 3 more nights booked before the end of 2008. It will be nice to be Platinum again, not for any other reason than my own satisfaction.
They dropped you from Plat to Silver and skipped Gold? I was hoping for a soft landing this year myself. All travel cut before I made my 75 nights. Was Plat for 3 previous years.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
I squeeked through this year, after having 66 nights by September and downturn affected my travel, but I will have 76 nights by 31 December. Too bad that means my megabonus is worthless!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'm going to just miss it. By 2 nights. Including credit card nights.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:23 pm
AMA

Originally Posted by Lane412000
Little late in the game/year to suggest this, but with several primo yrs under your belt, woulda been worth calling MH to request either a reinstatement or quickie challenge to get back to Platinum.

Not worth grunting your way back over an entire year.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:54 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
Hello Everyone! Long time no see!

With the current economic conditions, I will not be making the 75 night for the year, and will loose my platinum status at the end of January.

Several years ago, when I was in this position they sent a letter offering to re-instate platinum status for a cost of 35,000 points. Anyone know if they still do this? While I realize this is not a great use of points, it would be a God send to keep the status through 2009 - and with my hope the economy will turn around, I should hit the required nights to renew next year.

**Marriott Concierge - Is this something you could check on? If it is not an active program, perhaps is should be considered for reactivation in light of the economy...Just my $0.02**

Miss you guys!

The buy back off will be available next year, as well as other options. If you are downgraded it would be worth your while to contact guest services to see what options may be available individually for you.

Ira
Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
The buy back off will be available next year, as well as other options. If you are downgraded it would be worth your while to contact guest services to see what options may be available individually for you.

Ira
Thank you for responding directly. It is good to know that options are being made available. I for one have no clue when business is going to kick back in, but the idea of starting staus from scratch wasn't appealing at all.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia

A few months ago, MR sent me a promotion to requalify for Gold status:
Stay 14 Nights at Marriott and Renew Your Marriott Rewards Elite Gold Membership

Only the best will do for you. That's why we're giving you one of our very best offers: Stay 14 nights or more at any Marriott by December 31, 2008 to automatically renew your Marriott Rewards Elite Gold membership through February 2010. It's that easy to continue receiving the Elite Gold rewards you've become accustomed to at Marriott.
Well, I did it. I stayed 14 nights and renewed my MR gold status. I'm thankful for the opportunity. Another year of lounge access and the occasional (okay, almost never) upgrade will be nice. But really, Marriott is the big winner. They won 14 nights of my business.

As of October 1, I had 24 MR nights for the year, 15 of which were from my MR Visa card. I had chosen to give up on chasing status with Marriott, knowing there was no way I'd get 26 more nights in 2 months. I figured I'd pursue low level status with another family such as Hyatt or ICHG. But this promotion gave me a reason to stick Marriott. They got 14 nights from me. Without this promotion, they probably would have gotten 3. So, thanks, Marriott, for the status, and you're welcome for all the business!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
Everyone wins. Marriott is smart to offer this type of promotion.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I wish they would offer me a bump for the 2 nights i lack for requal on PLT....i guess ill just book a mattress run but with moolah being tight in this bad economy, i dont know that i could swing it.....especially since i live in a resort city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.