Wiki Posts
Search

Hollow Soap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomSchmit
The used soaps are collected from the rooms and then sent back to
a manufacturer for recycling. They are not wasted!
Not anywhere that I've ever heard of.

I've been off the road for a few months but have a trip scheduled at the end of the month. I'll check out the soap. I don't have a problem with them trying to save on something like this.....I've never finished a bar of soap during a stay.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I sometimes collect the unopened bottles of shampoo, soaps, and other things before I leave and collect during the year. At end of the year I put them together in shoe boxes with other things we buy for xmas child boxes that are sent out before xmas to other countries.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are you referring to the recycle or the new ergonomic soap (which truthfully I haven't even noticed)? If it's the recycle I've got my doubts as well, since as far as I know everything (room garbage pail contents, soap, shampoo containers,etc) all just get tossed into the big garbage bag on the maid's cart.

Cheers.
Whoops, I meant the recycle part. I have not seen the new ergonomic soaps either-but perhaps my brand did not switch
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Marriott Suites - Costa Mesa has the cavity-backed soap. It still feels pretty substantial.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Indeed. BTW, did you know "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I haven't experienced this new type of soap, so perhaps I need to wait until I do to form a final opinion. But I've always thought it was quite a waste to toss all of that soap every day. And everything I've heard from anyone in a position to know what that it was tossed. Until seeing it for myself, I'm positive on the concept.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:05 pm
Suspended

ran into the new bars at The Marriott BWI on Mon night.

Was wondering was it MRs doing to save $$, or was MR still paying the same per whatever box or bar and the company is pocketing the savings, or by doing this does that allow the manufacturer to keep the same pricing by giving less and MR doesnt know anything about it.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Craz-I am pretty sure it is an effort by the soap maker to keep the same cost while still providing a "nice looking"bar of soap.
It is a win win as far as I am concerned.Like CPRich I also think it wastefull to leave a full bar of sop almost unused.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have seen articles that have mentioned higher raw material costs for the production of soap. The price gains have been at least 10-20 % over the past few years. Most stays at Marriott are only 1-3 nights long, and it is highly unlikely that one could finish a bar of soap in 3 days, even with 4 people in a room.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by damon2
At least they are not trying the bulk dispensers as mentioned in this Hyatt thread

I remember some one suggesting this earlier the 'Marriott water bottles vs no bottles' thread.

That was me. IT WAS A JOKE.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:10 am

yup I recall you mentioned it as a joke. But Hyatt is trying it albeit not at the floor level.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Phila Marriott West in Conshohocken a couple weeks ago...and the staff didn't even know...

Green, tree hugger, whatever...it is still CHEAP, TACKY and a little too low budget if you ask me!

BLECH!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:51 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
You HAVE to be kidding.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A more disturbing trend I see now is for the maids NOT to replace any of the 4 bottles (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash) on a daily basis.

This bothers me because now she is making assumptions as to the number of showers I take (often I workout after work) and how many people are staying in the room (hey, I'm always dreaming of getting lucky).

Granted, most of the bottles can be stretched but the mouthwash quanity is barely enough for one use. This means instant no tip. I can't believe its a policy but happens enough so I would imagine it is. And don't tell me to call housekeeping or leave a note - its so basic it doesn't warrant a second thought.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

I agree with this completely. Bottles should be replaced daily, and if I dont want to use a fresh one, then thats my decision to stretch a previous bottle and leave the new one on the counter.

I pay the same rate for nights 2 and 3 than I do for night 1. The bottles should be replaced daily.

Whats horrible is when I only discover the missing bottles in the morning when I go to shower...and notice the prior bottles are completely dry.

randomman

Originally Posted by joshua362
A more disturbing trend I see now is for the maids NOT to replace any of the 4 bottles (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash) on a daily basis.

This bothers me because now she is making assumptions as to the number of showers I take (often I workout after work) and how many people are staying in the room (hey, I'm always dreaming of getting lucky).

Granted, most of the bottles can be stretched but the mouthwash quanity is barely enough for one use. This means instant no tip. I can't believe its a policy but happens enough so I would imagine it is. And don't tell me to call housekeeping or leave a note - its so basic it doesn't warrant a second thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.