Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Bulk Dispensers instead of small bottles in Grand Hyatt San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold

I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco Union Square (scored a nice Diamond upgrade to a 34th floor suite! ^), and my room has bulk dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel instead of individual bottles. They're fixed to the wall of the tub/shower. The hotel is doing a trial, I think, to see how guests respond to this, as they're looking at ways to be more eco-friendly. I'm not sure what brand of product is in the dispensers, but there was some H2O spa body lotion and soap as the other amenities in the bathroom. Personally I think it's a great idea and support efforts for hotels to be more environmentally friendly. After we got settled in the room, the front desk called up to see if we'd be able to take a survey about this before we leave (which also noted the small bottles could be requested if necessary).

Is this just a trial within the hotel or something Hyatt is considering nationwide? What do others think about this type of change?
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Tacky
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:24 pm

Are the dispensers tamper-proof, so weirdos can't add extra ingredients in them? Are the products dispensed in a hygienic fashion, so previous guests' dirt & sweat etc. won't be left on the edges & surfaces and transferred to subsequent guests? If so, I think it's a good idea. Frankly, all those little bottles are eco-unfriendly. However, product safety & hygienic concerns may be more important.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I think this is just another example of hotels trying to cut costs and pass it off as eco-friendly.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Agreed - 2 Star Motel Tacky. Just recycle the bottles
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I concur with the other posters. If the Hyatt really wanted to be eco-friendly, they could still stock the mini-bottles but add the dispensers to the bathroom and encourage guests to use those instead. But then that probably won't save Hyatt as much money.

Cost savings aside, it's extremely hard to have wall-mounted dispensers in the bathroom without conveying the notion of "cheap and tacky," regardless of how eco-friendly this is. I don't think this has any place in an upscale hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I don't think it will last.

I assume they will still offer tea, coffee, lint remover sticky, q-tips and cotton pads, plastic laundry bags, and sink soap at that hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And they put soap, shampoo, etc., dispensers in a SUITE? Last place I saw this was at the HR Boston Financial Center.

When these things appear, my business disappears -- especially if combined with a snotty "we're just doing this to save the planet" attitude.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Extremely tacky...are you sure you aren't staying at the Y?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:43 am

I don't find bulk dispensers appealing regardless of where I'm staying.

They certainly have no place in a Grand Hyatt suite!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Are the dispensers tamper-proof, so weirdos can't add extra ingredients in them?
The current small bottles in a lot of hotels aren't tamper proof either, and often not changed between guests unless they appear used... So potentially not much difference there if a freako was in your room before you and wanted to do bad. Have you sterilised the coffee maker? Remote Control? Even the cups could have been tampered with..
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I'm all for reducing plastic waste, but I think it needs to be done in a classy way. I'm staying in a boutique hotel right now that has large plastic refillable bottles of high quality soap and lotion products with a pump dispenser at the sink, shower, and by the bath tub. Similarly the Banyan Tree in Bangkok has refillable ceramic containers in the shower, tub, and bath area. Both of these send the right message and don't look like a motel-6.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I use a lot of shampoo and usually have to tip the maid to get enough. I like the idea of having plenty of products in the bathroom, but am not sure about the wall dispenser idea.

I've seen large bottles in hotels in the UK and didn't even think about previous guest tampering with them. Should I worry?

An awful lot of plastic is wasted with the tiny bottles.

A few really nice hotels such as the Lord Elgin in Ottawa provide guests on at least the executive level with larger individual bottles of products and decent sized bars of soap.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And they put soap, shampoo, etc., dispensers in a SUITE? Last place I saw this was at the HR Boston Financial Center.
And those have since been removed with the remodel.
I would personally prefer larger bottles only provided once during a stay, and only replenished upon specific request...
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I've seen these in (upscale) European hotels for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.