Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Looks like

London Marriott West India Quay

has a weekend rate lower than the rebate level:

Check-in: June 25, 2005 (Saturday)
Check-out: June 26, 2005 (Sunday)
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 1
QUALITY ROOM >> 99.00 (GBP) per night Rate Rules

STAY FOR BREAKFAST*DELUXE RM*KING,TWIN OR 2DBL BEDS*INC BFAST MAX 2PPL * PAY WITH VISA AND RECEIVE 100 COUPON * SEE FACTS *
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:10 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by Markie
Looks like

London Marriott West India Quay

has a weekend rate lower than the rebate level:

Check-in: June 25, 2005 (Saturday)
Check-out: June 26, 2005 (Sunday)
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 1
QUALITY ROOM >> 99.00 (GBP) per night Rate Rules

STAY FOR BREAKFAST*DELUXE RM*KING,TWIN OR 2DBL BEDS*INC BFAST MAX 2PPL * PAY WITH VISA AND RECEIVE 100 COUPON * SEE FACTS *
Actually, there are several hotels that have a weekend rate lower than the rebate level. The London Marriott West India Quay is not one of these hotels as you have to add the VAT.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:47 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
Got US$ 100 BB in JW Phuket, and Marriott Resort & Spa, Bangkok last week.

Renaissance, Kuala Lumpur must be one of the best "value for money" - USD61 + taxes for a night - giving you USD100 BB......
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
Renaissance Kota Bharu Hotel - USD58++ should give USD100 BB

Very close to "free" hotel......
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:38 pm

Bonus Bucks Questions... good for any rate?

I have some questions about using Bonus Bucks coupons.

1. Do I have to call the number shown in the coupon to make a reservation (by using the coupon)? Or, is it okay to make a reservation via online?

2. What type of discount rates can be used with the BB coupons? Here is the details shown in the coupons (...Premium Pounds Certificates may be used for all publicly listed and available room rates and packages, excluding catering, group and contract rates.). That means I can use BB coupons with any type of discount offer available in the marriot reservation site?

3. How about advanced purchase (pre-payment required) rate? They normally charge first night reservation (plus tax) up front. If the value of my BB is more than the second night stay (ex: If I have 200 premium pounds certificate,,, approximately equally $360 U.S., and my room rate is $180 per night), would they refund (credit) the pre-payment charge back to my credit card?

4. Just want to make sure that the value of BB can be used to pay tax/fees (like parking) <not restaurant, spa, gift shop, etc.).

5. I don't think there should be a problem to use premium pounds at US hotels unless they apply really bad exchange ratio. If anyone experienced to us PP, please share your experience with me.

6. There shouldn't be a excluded property as long as Marriott/JW marriott/Renaissance hotel and resort worldwide, correct?

Other than these questions, if you have any advice/tips, it would be very helpful.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Well, there are over 200 threads in this forum referencing Bonus Bucks. Some with *solid* information, and others with more fuzzy answers as some properties treat BBs differently for some reason.

I have booked online and noted that I was using BB for payment without a problem. If you have a doubt, make the call. (You can always make the reservation and then call to have the record documented.)

BBs are good on all PUBLICLY available rates. That excludes government and corporate rates. It also excludes "elite only" offers, however, you may find differently.

BBs will be applied toward your total bill, including incidentals such as parking, meals, spa services, etc.

The exchange rate on Premium Pounds in the US has the same issues that BBs have in Europe. The rate is set by the hotel and can sometimes be low.

I'd chat with the reservation line about your advance purchase scenario. In the US, there is generally a "hold", but not a prepayment of one night's rate.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by kthan
(ex: If I have 200 premium pounds certificate,,, approximately equally $360 U.S., and my room rate is $180 per night), would they refund (credit)
Is there such a thing as a 200 pound bonus buck? To date, I've seen $100, 100 euros, and 100 pounds. You can only use one Bonus Buck, whatever the currency, per two night stay.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
I have had really great luck using the bonus bucks. Never a problem. I booked a package this past weekend. Tickets and meals were with this package. The hotel took the bucks no questions
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
BBs are good on all PUBLICLY available rates. That excludes government and corporate rates. It also excludes "elite only" offers, however, you may find differently.
I did not have any trouble using bonus bucks when I reserved a room at the government rate. Which FYI was only $10 lower than the lowest "public" rate, so it would have been rather petty to quibble.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, if you call reservations and ask them to annotate your reservation with a note about using Bonus Bucks, they will spend quite a while researching the eligibility of your rate. If they conclude it's ineligible, they will annotate your record, but not in the way you wanted! Based on postings here, I believe that people have pretty good luck just turning them in without advance notice, even though the rules indicate that you should call first.

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The exchange rate can be seriously low... but you *can* use bonus bucks for public promotions like a stay for breakfast or summer sleepover rate.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Well, there are over 200 threads in this forum referencing Bonus Bucks. Some with *solid* information, and others with more fuzzy answers as some properties treat BBs differently for some reason.

I have booked online and noted that I was using BB for payment without a problem. If you have a doubt, make the call. (You can always make the reservation and then call to have the record documented.)

BBs will be applied toward your total bill, including incidentals such as parking, meals, spa services, etc.

The exchange rate on Premium Pounds in the US has the same issues that BBs have in Europe. The rate is set by the hotel and can sometimes be low.

I'd chat with the reservation line about your advance purchase scenario. In the US, there is generally a "hold", but not a prepayment of one night's rate.

i spent last weekend at the EWR Marriott using the elite rate of $84/night
prior to booking i called customer service to ask if I could use a premium pound with this rate
i was told yes and booked it
upon check in i gave my premium pound
only problem is that the value is down to about $176 whereas they peaked at $195
final bill $9

before i made elite, i was able to stay at that same hotel and pay the AAA rate of $89/nite,and pay with a PP

the exchange rate on PPs can be low, in part because some hotels treat them like a cash transfer, and charge an initial low rate plus an 8% currency exchange fee, now i always print the exchange directly from the marriott currency converter page make a copy and give it to the desk clerk at checkin and i have always gotten that rate

some hotels offer an advance purchase rate
according to customer service, BB or PP are not eligible for those rates as your credit card will be charged for the full rate within 24 hours of making the reservation
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I agree with bdschobel. The Marriotts reservations folks are stickier about what rates qualify. The hotels themselves are more liberal with their interpration. According to the reservations staff, AAA rates don't qualify for BB usage. In reality, I have used BB on a AAA rate with an EEO free weekend night coupon on multiple occasions. I recently set up a stay for my brother at the Marriott in Buellton, CA. I had a hard time convincing him that it would be cheaper to stay two nights than it was to stay one night. I have even used BB with award stays as have several others here.

Overall, the best thing to do is to make the reservation on line and turn them in on arrival. However, I would not try using them with a corporate rate.

Last edited by BillMorrow; Jul 6, 2005 at 9:58 pm
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:47 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
LaGuardia Marriott on advanced purchase rate.

I was told by Central reservation I could NOT use my Bonus Bucks on this advanced purchase rate. NO PROblem at the hotel. they honored the rate and the BB.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:15 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by ingy
I was told by Central reservation I could NOT use my Bonus Bucks on this advanced purchase rate. NO PROblem at the hotel. they honored the rate and the BB.
how did you make the reservation?
how long before the stay?
was your credit card charged prior to your arrival?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.