Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:16 pm

Bonus Bucks use for mutliple rooms?

Can't seem to find an answer using the search function so I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer my question. I am organizing a trip for students and we will be booking 7 rooms for a 4 night stay. How many Bonus Bucks certs can I use? Is it one certificate per room for every two days or just one certificate per two days regardless of the number of rooms? I'm hoping I can use 14 certificates. If it matters, I will be making one payment for all rooms/expenses on my Amex.

I spoke to two Marriott CSR about this. The first CSR said the question was moot since I can't use any certs at a hotel outside of the US. When I called back, the second CSR admitted she didn't know enough about the Bonus Bucks to answer the question.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by BigDog; Jan 6, 2005 at 7:33 pm
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Big Dog,I think you will be out of luck unless you do 7 different billings on this.Comes out to the same $$$,a bit more(maybe a lot)headache,but as I read the T&Cson the back of the cert this may be the only way around this.
PS-I have used bonus bucks many times in Canada,and there is NOTHING on the back stating you are limited to stateside Marriots,
Good luck on this-you might have to do a lot of dancing at the front desk.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:56 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by BigDog
I am organizing a trip for students and we will be booking 7 rooms for a 4 night stay. How many Bonus Bucks certs can I use? Is it one certificate per room for every two days or just one certificate per two days regardless of the number of rooms? I'm hoping I can use 14 certificates. If it matters, I will be making one payment for all rooms/expenses on my Amex.

BigDog,

Bonus Bucks were designed to be used by individuals for individual stays. Given the rarity of this issue, I would recommend contacting the hotel directly. Then, ask to speak to the front office manager directly.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:11 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I am organizing a trip for students and we will be booking 7 rooms for a 4 night stay. How many Bonus Bucks certs can I use? Is it one certificate per room for every two days or just one certificate per two days regardless of the number of rooms? I'm hoping I can use 14 certificates. If it matters, I will be making one payment for all rooms/expenses on my Amex.
Payment arrangements does not matter. I used almost 100 MBB's last year, many on situations very similar to yours. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE at least 14 certificates, but I would not be surprised if they accepted more if you had them.

Even though it is international they are required to accept them unless the reservation does not meet the MBB minimum requirements, which for marriott normally means Priceline, Hotwire or Specially Negotiated rates not readily available on through Marriott.com. The exchange rate will probably be dictated by the hotel exchange rate and will not necessarily be a bargain rate ........
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:28 pm

BigGuy, Marriott Concierge , & TxLobo,

Thanks for the replies all. I received an e-mail today from someone at Marriott and she indicated I should be able to use 1 Bonus Buck cert per room per two nights. I will take our Concierge's advice and try to get something in writing directly from the hotel.

Big Dog
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Can't seem to find an answer using the search function so I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer my question. I am organizing a trip for students and we will be booking 7 rooms for a 4 night stay. How many Bonus Bucks certs can I use? Is it one certificate per room for every two days or just one certificate per two days regardless of the number of rooms? I'm hoping I can use 14 certificates. If it matters, I will be making one payment for all rooms/expenses on my Amex.

I spoke to two Marriott CSR about this. The first CSR said the question was moot since I can't use any certs at a hotel outside of the US. When I called back, the second CSR admitted she didn't know enough about the Bonus Bucks to answer the question.

This is wrong
i have used american bonus bucks in the dominican republic (oct 04)
and british bonus bucks in the usa (this weekend)
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by TxLobo
Even though it is international they are required to accept them unless the reservation does not meet the MBB minimum requirements, which for marriott normally means Priceline, Hotwire or Specially Negotiated rates not readily available on through Marriott.com. The exchange rate will probably be dictated by the hotel exchange rate and will not necessarily be a bargain rate ........
Bringing this thread back on again as I have a question about the use of Premium Pounds coupons.

If I make my reservation through other channels than marriott.com (e.g. Priceline or Hotwire), does anyone know if I still can use my Premium Pounds to pay for services at the hotel, such as dining, spa services etc.?
Old May 16, 2005, 6:36 am

"Euro" Bonus Bucks - "Stay for Breakfast" Promotion

Last week I stayed at the Marriott Heidelberg (great property, by the way - right on the Neckar River with a beautiful view of the River and the Old Castle from the Executive Lounge balcony), and received a brochure in German and English offering Euro-denominated "vouchers".

I inquired, and they showed me the voucher - it's like a Bonus Buck or Premium Pound, but denominated in Euro.

The promotion is virtually the same as the one for $100 or $50 in Bonus Bucks: "Stay for Breakfast" is the name of the promotion, it runs from 15 May through 5 September. Must stay over a Friday or Saturday (although it says some properties may have the offer available seven days a week) and pay with a VISA card. It is offered only outside the US, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico, and only some properties participate.

Reservation code: OTP

If you stay at a (participating) Marriott, Renaissance, or JW Marriott property using the reservation code, you get a €100 voucher; if you stay at a participating Courtyard it's a €50 voucher.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for the info.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:30 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by Counsellor
The promotion is virtually the same as the one for $100 or $50 in Bonus Bucks: "Stay for Breakfast" is the name of the promotion, it runs from 15 May through 5 September. Must stay over a Friday or Saturday (although it says some properties may have the offer available seven days a week) and pay with a VISA card. It is offered only outside the US, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico, and only some properties participate.
That is the earning period!? Do you also know the time frame for using the certificates (or is it the same)?
Old May 18, 2005, 11:39 am

The one they showed me expired in January 2006.

I didn't notice a "not valid until" date, but I wasn't looking for one and didn't read the fine print. I just wanted to see what a Euro voucher looked like.
Old May 19, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
use the Eurp coupon on the next "stay for breakfast"?

I'm planning a trip to Berlin in juli. There are 4 marriott/courtyard properties. Will I be able to stay 1 night in 1 property, collect the bonus euros and use them at the next hotel? This way 4 nights will cost me less than 150 euro's @:-)

Last edited by paul_nl; May 19, 2005 at 2:23 pm
Old May 19, 2005, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by paul_nl
I'm planning a trip to Berlin in juli. There are 4 marriott/courtyard properties. Will I be able to stay 1 night in 1 property, collect the bonus euros and use them at the next hotel? This way 4 nights will cost me less than 150 euro's @:-)
There's been alot of threads re: the use of BB in conjection w/ the summer promotion. Some have been able to and others have been given problems. However, in your case (even if you can use it), you can only use ONE BB for every TWO nights. So, if you are staying 4 nights total, you can probably only earn one BB and use one BB.
Old May 20, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
There's been alot of threads re: the use of BB in conjection w/ the summer promotion. Some have been able to and others have been given problems. However, in your case (even if you can use it), you can only use ONE BB for every TWO nights. So, if you are staying 4 nights total, you can probably only earn one BB and use one BB.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't see the part where they say you can only use the bucks on a two night stay
If I plan my trip this way:

1 night at the 1st courtyard --> pay 72 euro and collect 50 euro bonus buck
1 night at the 2nd courtyard --> pay 80 euro and collect 50 euro bonus bucks
2 nights at the Marriot --> pay 228 euro + the 100 bonus bucks and collect another euro 100 bonus bucks

total costs 380 euro for 4 nights and still have 100 euro bonus bucks in the pocket. Would this work?

Last edited by paul_nl; May 20, 2005 at 4:17 pm
Old May 22, 2005, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by paul_nl
If I plan my trip this way:

1 night at the 1st courtyard --> pay 72 euro and collect 50 euro bonus buck
1 night at the 2nd courtyard --> pay 80 euro and collect 50 euro bonus bucks
2 nights at the Marriot --> pay 228 euro + the 100 bonus bucks and collect another euro 100 bonus bucks

total costs 380 euro for 4 nights and still have 100 euro bonus bucks in the pocket. Would this work?
I don't think so if your "the 100 euro bonus bucks" refers to the two 50 euro certificates you got from the Courtyard stays. You can use only one "Bonus Buck" type of certificate per two-night stay, whether it is a 50 euro, 100 euro, 100 dollar or 100 pound bonus buck.

What you might do, though, is to borrow a 100 euro voucher from someone, stay the first two nights (Thursday and Friday) at the OTP rate using that voucher (and getting a new one), then stay at another Marriott the second two nights (Saturday and Sunday) at the OTP rate, using the 100 Euro voucher you just got, and getting another one which you can use to pay back the initial loan. Or start with a $100 Bonus buck and end up with a 100 euro voucher.

Remember, according to the terms listed by the OP, you have to have a Friday night or Saturday night stay to get the euro voucher (unless you find a property that offers the voucher all week).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.