Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Issues involving foreign exchange conversion rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues involving foreign exchange conversion rates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
however, if you catch their "games" they'll charge in RMB so I don't agree that the DCC is "mandatory"
I have done ~500 credit card transactions on BankCom terminals over the past year, and have yet to figure out a workaround that doesn't entail using a different terminal (which may or may not be available). As such, I am forced to conclude that it is about as mandatory as it gets.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
easy, just say "no" to signing off on a credit card charge if other then in RMB

Originally Posted by moondog
I have done ~500 credit card transactions on BankCom terminals over the past year, and have yet to figure out a workaround that doesn't entail using a different terminal (which may or may not be available). As such, I am forced to conclude that it is about as mandatory as it gets.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:35 pm

There is no such thing as mandatory DCC. If you attempt to tell them to void the transaction and they refuse to do so, write local currency not offered, circle the amount in local currency, cross out the amount in your currency and then dispute the charge. Your bank MUST charge it back through the visa/mc system as it clearly says that dcc can only be carried out on those who choose to allow themselves to be scammed this way.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
There is no such thing as mandatory DCC. If you attempt to tell them to void the transaction and they refuse to do so, write local currency not offered, circle the amount in local currency, cross out the amount in your currency and then dispute the charge. Your bank MUST charge it back through the visa/mc system as it clearly says that dcc can only be carried out on those who choose to allow themselves to be scammed this way.
Yes, my bank has my back. BUT, the burden is on me to provide the information to them in a manner that permits them to reimburse me for the proper amount.

In order to dispute, one needs:

-to scan or mail the receipts
-develop a spreadsheet showing amount charged and the amount you should have been charged (based on WSJ rates)

This drill requires lots of TIME.

If you have more to contribute to this topic (especially if you know how to defeat BankCom's thermal slip terminals), I suggest you head to the DCC thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...onversion.html
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I did..........

Originally Posted by moondog
If you have more to contribute to this topic (especially if you know how to defeat BankCom's thermal slip terminals), I suggest you head to the DCC thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...onversion.html
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I have noticed that it is becoming more prevelent in countries where it was never used before. Of course the scam originated in Ireland (so it's no surprise you had to deal with an Irish company) and had spread to Spain and Italy.
Yes Ireland seemed to be one of the earliest providers of DCC (2005) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072900927.html

Originally Posted by Counsellor
In my case, as I had stricken through the "conversion" before I signed the invoice reconciliation, there was no way they could seriously contend I had agreed. I suspect, though, that anyone who signed the reconciliation without striking through the bogus conversion could be argued to have consented.
Agree - thank goodness we haven't gone over to Chip and PIN yet - there's still a piece of paper to cross out before signing. With PIN you get to cross out nothing.

Originally Posted by Counsellor
When no correction appeared after about a week, I again contacted Courtyard and this time they wanted me to write to the company (in Ireland, as I recall) that processed their currency conversion for them and submit all sorts of documents.

For the first time, they informed me of the details of their currency conversion "feature" -- they applied a currency exchange rate (did not specify where it came from), added 3%, and charged that against my card. They didn't care whether my card also charged 3% for foreign transactions or not -- indeed, they explicitly said that they didn't care and wouldn't refund that money. The only thing they would do is to refund any excess on the currency conversion (but not the 3% conversion fee), but only if I sent them all sorts of documentation including a charge on the same card on the same day that didn't go through them, and even then they would only refund the excess they had charged over the conversion rate charged in the other transaction (so maybe 1% of the charge).

I declined to go through that process, as I had never agreed to it, and after some further exchanges with the hotel (in one of which I had to point out that I suspected German law considered the Euro to be legal tender unless otherwise agreed between the parties to the transaction, and I had never agreed to pay anything other than Euros), the Courtyard agreed that participation in their conversion program was voluntary and posted a refund to my credit card account. So ultimately I was satisfied with the result.
The obligation is for the merchant to charge in the right currency, otherwise a chargeback under Visa International Operating Regulations Reason Code 76 (if Visa) can be raised via your card issuer http://corporate.visa.com/_media/vis...s.pdf#page=894 . You do not have to prove you suffered a loss.

Here is what I do if they pull this scam on me and refuse to void the transacton, not credit it. I circle the local currency amount. cross out the statement that I accept the conversion as final and write local currency not offered. I then will most assuredly dispute the bill and insist on a charge back If people began to do this, it might slow this cancer down.
We spent some time sharing information on how to disarm DCC on various Chinese banks' terminals http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...version.html#1

But the Chinese banks just changed their firmware http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-33.html#488

Disputing is pointless cos it impacts the wrong company. We find that most issuers don't fight with the culpable acquirers. They just eat the charge.

Voiding does some damage to the merchant and acquirer involved, not to mention lost business.

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Same was asked upon checkout at Marriott SkyCity Hong Kong Airport.

The lady at the counter asked what my preference was for the final charge: a currency conversion direct to USD or no conversion Hong Kong Dollars. I asked to be charged in HK Dollars and she checked as such. On the bill given back to me, a typed 'X' was present on the HKD.
I encountered this fully-optional DCC at Grand Hyatt Taipei in Dec 10 (acquirer: Global Payments Taiwan) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-33.html#492 . I thought my non-optional DCC experiences were exceptions, and confined to China only.

Sadly, on my return trip to Taiwan in Sep 11, Global Payments has gone non-optional http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...k-79.html#1180

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
This isn't a surprise to me though, buying Duty-Free in International Airports for example, I'm always prompted by the cashier to either pay local currency or do the direct conversion. Just be careful.
Don't count on it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...nversions.html (non-optional DCC. Acquirer: Bank of China (Hong Kong))

As far as the terminals are concerned, some terminals really do not mechanically allow DCC opt-out. We've played around with them on merchant premises:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ion-8.html#114
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-33.html#488

Originally Posted by morelegroom
When they presented the receipt in the morning it had DCC with the usual rip off rate. I got all the standard lies . "The bank makes us do it", "it's not us it's the bank" "It's the standard exchange rate" etc etc etc. I do have some advantages. I speak German and I've taught law and technology in Germany and the USA. My German lawyer lives only a few miles away. After listening to Hotelier crap for 10 minutes I suggested calling the criminal police and making it a police matter. They quickly refunded the charge and I paid cash.
Best advice is to void slip (you can always refuse to do so if presented with verbage - withhold signature and threaten to dispute) and offer Amex, Discover, Unionpay (they are all DCC-free) or cash as alternate payment.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 7, 2011 at 1:03 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by holtju2
Just had this happen at Renaissance Beijing Capital City. Took 25 minutes to sort it out. The personnel in the Club lounge insisted that the charge would be in local currency even when the dollar amount was clearly show, although much smaller font and the word that there is no commission etc.

They also said that every body else always pays this. I did check and this "no commission" transaction would have cost me exactly 4% compared to the spot rate. Asked to speak with the manger on duty. He was aware of this issue and run it through another POS at the front desk.

Let me repeat. This is nothing more than a SCAM. The hotel will get a kickback from the bank when they are using these inflated rates.
Marriotts in Beijing, or other big chain hotels in Beijing, usually know how to avoid DCC. I've never seen any front desk that doesn't have at least one staff member who can do that "cancel button" trick.

Just tell them to hit the cancel button after entering amount. If they don't know, request to see the manager.

Usually big chain hotels in Beijing use BoC terminals. They all have this feature to opt-out, as a "compliance" to Visa/MC rules...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:11 am

Renaissance Amsterdam questionable billing practices

Be careful when staying here and paying your bill. I have stayed here many times without issue but this past stay the hotel left invoiced in Euros but charged me in USD. This led to around 3-5% higher charge. When I inquired they claimed that I had only been billed in euros but my credit card company confirmed they charged in USD.

After multiple exchanges with the hotel they refunded the difference but kept saying this was a miscommunication and not a mistake. I never authorized them to charge in USD and was never given a bill or invoice in USD.

I suspect this is not a one off instance. Just a reminder to check your credit card statements carefully.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:56 am

Contest the excess charge through your credit card. I have success doing this in cases where Dynamic Currency Conversion was used without my approval. You may need to review what you signed to make sure your receipt did not somehow include authorization of the conversion.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by olouie
I have stayed here many times without issue...I suspect this is not a one off instance.
The 2 sentences are a bit contradictory. If it happened on a regular basis I would say there's a problem, but a 1-off might indeed be a miscommunication.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by olouie
Be careful when staying here and paying your bill. I have stayed here many times without issue but this past stay the hotel left invoiced in Euros but charged me in USD. This led to around 3-5% higher charge. When I inquired they claimed that I had only been billed in euros but my credit card company confirmed they charged in USD.

After multiple exchanges with the hotel they refunded the difference but kept saying this was a miscommunication and not a mistake. I never authorized them to charge in USD and was never given a bill or invoice in USD.

I suspect this is not a one off instance. Just a reminder to check your credit card statements carefully.
This definitely was not a "miscommunication" from hotels part but rather they are trying to scam their guests by using DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) when foreign credit cards are used.

When I stayed at this property this past spring and questioned the practice that is absolutely NEVER beneficial for the consumer, I was told that it was mandated by the new GM.

My advise is to leave unfavorable rating on TripAdvisor with remarks that the hotel is scamming their guests by using DCC without their approval.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If it's happened more than once I agree w/ you it's not a miscommunication.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The 2 sentences are a bit contradictory. If it happened on a regular basis I would say there's a problem, but a 1-off might indeed be a miscommunication.

Cheers.
I was trying to say that while this has not happened to me before I am guessing that the hotel does this to many of its guests. I am going to also complain directly to Marriott corporate as this is a total scam.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:45 pm

Love it that when you complain to the corporate they just fwd the email to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.