Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by teach42
So I need about 160K marriott points to get lifetime gold under old qualifications. I currently have Marriott Rewards chase card and Amex SPG card. I've had both for about 5-8 years with no changes or upgrade bonuses.

Is my best bet to get the Marriott Premiere Plus and Premiere Plus Business for the 150K total bonus points? I can get the other 10K easy through stays or spending.

If that is the best route, do I know I need to cancel the Marriott card. Do I need to cancel the SPG card too? And if so, do I need to wait 30 days? If I call in to apply instead of doing it online, will they be able to verify bonus eligibility for me at the time of application?

Thanks, trying to puzzle through all this!

Steve
The Premier Plus card bonus is dependent upon $5K in spend which, at 2pts/$ in general spend, will give you an additional10K pts minimum on its own.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The Premier Plus card bonus is dependent upon $5K in spend which, at 2pts/$ in general spend, will give you an additional10K pts minimum on its own.
Good point. Thank you for that. Any clarification on the SPG card questions?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by teach42
So I need about 160K marriott points to get lifetime gold under old qualifications. I currently have Marriott Rewards chase card and Amex SPG card. I've had both for about 5-8 years with no changes or upgrade bonuses.

Is my best bet to get the Marriott Premiere Plus and Premiere Plus Business for the 150K total bonus points? I can get the other 10K easy through stays or spending.

If that is the best route, do I know I need to cancel the Marriott card. Do I need to cancel the SPG card too? And if so, do I need to wait 30 days? If I call in to apply instead of doing it online, will they be able to verify bonus eligibility for me at the time of application?

Thanks, trying to puzzle through all this!

Steve
I also had the Marriott Premier and SPG card, but cancelled the Premier to take advantage of the Premier Plus bonus. The wording has changed in the last week or so, but it is my understanding that you can no longer get the signup bonus for the Premier Plus if you already have the SPG Amex card (as of 8/26). I was going to take my time to apply, but applied for the Premier Plus on 8/24 to make sure I can still get the signup bonus and keep my current SPG card. Also, be careful if you are interested in the SPG Luxury card since I don't think you can take advantage of both signup bonuses either. Here is the wording on the Chase website -
Eligibility for this product: The product is not available to either:
  • current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards® Premier or Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card, or
  • previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.
If you are an existing Marriott Rewards Premier customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for an upgrade bonus. Eligibility for the new cardmember bonus: The bonus is not available to you if you:
  • are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express;
  • are a current or previous cardmember of either The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card, and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months; or
  • applied and were approved for The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card within the last 90 days.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:02 pm

I did end up applying, and was approved for the card, a few days before the 8/26 deadline. Took almost 2 weeks for the card to arrive, but just in time to pay the preschool bill so it's all good.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320

How many days after hitting the 5k threshold did the pts show up in your account? Been a week for me thus far and my CC statement turned over. Curious when they’ll post.
My bonus points were credited on the statement date for the period I hit the threshold. They posted as a separate entry to my account along with the regular spend points from my cc statement.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Smile Oldie & Goody

I am so happy my spouse & I each have the old card. Once I hit 600 nights, it will be time to embark on a second family lifetime membership.

Too bad our young adult sons did not get the old card while it was still offered.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Premier to Premier Plus conversion offer

Need a bit of guidance if I should jump on this offer or can wait for a month or so.

I have the Mariott Premier card which was opened around Nov/Dec 2017, so haven't yet received the anniversary free night certificate.
I had checked my conversion offer to permier plus a few months back and it was offering 10K points, which I did not take. I just checked the offer again and it is now offering 50K points after 1st purchase before 12/31/18.

Is this a standard offer people are seeing these days or I just happened to get lucky? Also, if I were to convert now, what would happen to my free night certificate? Will that be forfeited?

I would certainly prefer 50K points over the free night award, but if I can get both that of course would be the best option :-). Has anyone has their conversion bonus offer reduced if they didn't take it earlier?

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
I pulled the trigger and upgraded for the 20,000 points.
Just SM'd Chase to plead for a match to the larger offer.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by unicon
Need a bit of guidance if I should jump on this offer or can wait for a month or so.

I have the Mariott Premier card which was opened around Nov/Dec 2017, so haven't yet received the anniversary free night certificate.
I had checked my conversion offer to permier plus a few months back and it was offering 10K points, which I did not take. I just checked the offer again and it is now offering 50K points after 1st purchase before 12/31/18.

Is this a standard offer people are seeing these days or I just happened to get lucky? Also, if I were to convert now, what would happen to my free night certificate? Will that be forfeited?

I would certainly prefer 50K points over the free night award, but if I can get both that of course would be the best option :-). Has anyone has their conversion bonus offer reduced if they didn't take it earlier?

Thanks in advance...
In the same boat. Got my 15 nights and cert for my business MR card back in Sep. They posted very quickly.

My renewal for my MR card occurs in early Dec. I plan on waiting for the 15 nights and cert to post, and then get the 50K prior to 31 Dec.

Is there the potential to lose all three? Potentially, but I believe the 50K will remain available until the end of the year.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:12 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
I pulled the trigger and upgraded for the 20,000 points.
Originally Posted by RNE
Just SM'd Chase to plead for a match to the larger offer.
Chase's canned response:
RNE, your account is not eligible for the new upgrade offer of 50,000 points you requested. The original offer you applied for will remain on your account. Your account has already earn 20,000 points for upgrading your card to Marriott Premier ® Plus Credit Card
Naturally, yours truly is not giving up that easily. Next, I'm going to call Chase, but before I do, I'd like to get a better handle on "eligibility" and how commonplace the 50k offer is. To wit, is it fair to say many who got the 20k offer (but didn't bite) then got the upped offer? I wonder because TSMRSRNE got the 20k offer, didn't take it and now has the 50k offer. Mere happenstance? Methinks not.

RNE, asking for any input on this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Chase's canned response:

Naturally, yours truly is not giving up that easily. Next, I'm going to call Chase, but before I do, I'd like to get a better handle on "eligibility" and how commonplace the 50k offer is. To wit, is it fair to say many who got the 20k offer (but didn't bite) then got the upped offer? I wonder because TSMRSRNE got the 20k offer, didn't take it and now has the 50k offer. Mere happenstance? Methinks not.

RNE, asking for any input on this.
I got many, many offers for 10, then just recently the one for 50, which I took. I got no intermediate offers for 20.

My husband who has also gotten many for 10, did NOT get the 50. Nor a 20.
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:51 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by RNE
My husband received an offer in the mail for 20K. On logging into his account, he was offered 50K. He accepted it.
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LF72
In the same boat. Got my 15 nights and cert for my business MR card back in Sep. They posted very quickly.

My renewal for my MR card occurs in early Dec. I plan on waiting for the 15 nights and cert to post, and then get the 50K prior to 31 Dec.

Is there the potential to lose all three? Potentially, but I believe the 50K will remain available until the end of the year.
So I called the customer service yesterday and the agent confirmed that if the conversion is done before the anniversary,
the free night certificate will be lost. Basically it will reset the anniversary date to one year from the conversion date.
She also mentioned that the current offer should be valid till 12/31, though I'm not so sure about that. In any case,
I have decided to wait till end of November to do the conversion and hope that they don't reduce the bonus.
LF72 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Can anyone confirm that the new benefits kicked in in 4 business days, as it says on the upgrade offer? It's been a week for me, I have made a purchase, but I want to make sure the points have gone from 1x to 2x for "anything" before putting a pricey item on this card. I have not yet received my new card.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Can anyone confirm that the new benefits kicked in in 4 business days, as it says on the upgrade offer? It's been a week for me, I have made a purchase, but I want to make sure the points have gone from 1x to 2x for "anything" before putting a pricey item on this card. I have not yet received my new card.
Well I'm a little concerned. I had forgotten Chase shows you your points right away, and my "anything" purchase did register 2x - however, and this is the troubling part, it shows I got a 10,000 point bonus - it's supposed to be 50K! Anyone know what the issue might be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.