Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Horace
20,000 Starpoints maps perfectly to 60,000 new Points (new Category 7), so it's possible that the point requirements will effectively stay the same.

It's also possible that the Sheraton Maui will go down. The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, will also be Category 7, because Category 7 is the highest category for the rest of 2018. It would be strange for the Sheraton Maui to require as many new Points as the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua.

The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort on Maui is currently 40,000 Rewards Points. There is not a new August 2018 category at that level, so the Marriott Wailea will have to go up or down.

I would not rely on anyone's guesses here to predict the future. Unlike a few people here, I don't expect a "massive devaluation" in August 2018. In fact, I think Marriott will try to delight us with the new category assignments -- but that ongoing category creep in future years will slowly take its toll over time (as it has in past years).

Why not book now on Maui, and then cancel and rebook if you see something better when the new requirements are released?
I just stayed 6 nights at the Wailea Beach Resort during March break on points and that has to be one of the best deals going.

Guaranteed this resort is going up... waaay up. I could see 60K standard to match the Sheraton - and the Sheraton going down one category.

Book as much as you can now...and book it on the Marriott site so you don't have to use up your points right away.

I've got a few trips coming up this year, and I have reservations booked for all of them. I'm even considering reservations for next March break!!!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I just stayed 6 nights at the Wailea Beach Resort during March break on points and that has to be one of the best deals going.

Guaranteed this resort is going up... waaay up. I could see 60K standard to match the Sheraton - and the Sheraton going down one category.

Book as much as you can now...and book it on the Marriott site so you don't have to use up your points right away.

I've got a few trips coming up this year, and I have reservations booked for all of them. I'm even considering reservations for next March break!!!
I do a 5 night stay every March on points when the rate is at $600+. I have no doubt this one is moving on up, so I am already booked for next year. And it appears I get free breakfast now, which is not chump change if it is the buffet.
pokee likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pokee

You guarantee that the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort on Maui is going from 40,000 Rewards Points to 60,000 points in August? That would be a 50% increase!

The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort was untouched during the 2018 Marriott Rewards category changes. Marriott Rewards kept it at Category 8 (40,000). It could have easily been moved upward to Category 9 (45,000), but that didn't happen.

There is no category that corresponds to 40,000 points on the New (August 2018) Free Night Award Chart. The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort will either go down to new Category 5 (35,000) or up to new Category 6 (50,000). Either is possible. My guess is that Category 5 (35,000) is slightly more likely, but it could be either one.

The chance of it going to new Category 7 (60,000) -- the category for the top Ritz-Carltons and other top luxury properties in August 2018 -- is very low.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The devaluation will happen in 2020. Even without the merger, they needed more Marriott categories or higher point requirements.

so many courtyards have went from cat 4 to cat 5 to cat 6 over the last few years-it was already putting pressure on Cat 9s in the current MR grouping to maintain a reasonable price differential between courtyards and JW London, Essex House, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
The devaluation will happen in 2020. Even without the merger, they needed more Marriott categories or higher point requirements.

so many courtyards have went from cat 4 to cat 5 to cat 6 over the last few years-it was already putting pressure on Cat 9s in the current MR grouping to maintain a reasonable price differential between courtyards and JW London, Essex House, etc.
And even the hotels that stay the same or go down now will likely go up in 2020 because I suspect there will be considerably more redemptions at properties like the Renaissance Republique in Paris.

To the best of my knowledge, Marriott has not denied that owners or management of individual properties can influence which category a property gets classified.

I suspect my annual redemption of points for 7 nights at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London has come to an end.

What's worse is almost all of the London hotels are presently priced the same, despite major differences between the quality of the properties and the services or amenities offered. One of the few full-service properties that is a good value under the current award-redemption chart is the Marriott Maida Vale.

I'd be willing to bet that the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House, Edition, Marriott County Hall, Marriott Park Lane, Blakes Hotel (Design), Le Méridien Piccadilly, Park Tower Luxury Collection, The Wellesley Knightsbridge Luxury Collection, The Westbury Luxury Collection, W Leicester Square, and the Sheraton Grand Park Lane will be either category 7 or category 8. The only ones that could be a category 5 are the Sheraton Grand Park Lane and Le Méridien Piccadilly.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan

Actually, the fact is that Marriott points were worth so little relative to Hyatt and SPG points that the old award chart and concomitant award categories give the illusion that Marriott Category 8 and 9 hotels are more premium and luxe than they actually are.

Marriott Cat 4 hotels at 20k points going to Cat 6 hotels at 30k points turns out to be pretty minimally different when you consider SPG points would make that 6.7k and 10k. Those equate to SPG Cat 3 and 4.

Marriott Cat 8 and 9 hotels going for 40k and 45K seem like inexpensive options when you pare them against SPG hotels/points. The SPG equivalent of 13.3k and 15k equate to between SPG Cat 4-5.

The top of the Marriott award chart didn’t even come close to broaching the top tiers of the SPG award chart. The bottom of the RC award chart doesn’t come close, either. Tier 1 RC hotel award compare with MR Cat 5 award, after all...but compare with SPG Cat 4 awards.

The top of the RC award chart does come closer. A Tier 5 hotel award at 70k comes close to SPG Cat 6. But nowhere near SPG Cat 7.

This is part of the reason why fears of devaluation are overblown. Marriott elites aren’t used to properties in SPG Cat 6 and 7 that typically command much higher ADRs and therefore need to command higher award prices. The reset will push a lot of Marriott properties lower on the new Cat 1-8 scale than was true in the older Cat 1-9 scale.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 24, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Horace
You guarantee that the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort on Maui is going from 40,000 Rewards Points to 60,000 points in August? That would be a 50% increase!

The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort was untouched during the 2018 Marriott Rewards category changes. Marriott Rewards kept it at Category 8 (40,000). It could have easily been moved upward to Category 9 (45,000), but that didn't happen.

There is no category that corresponds to 40,000 points on the New (August 2018) Free Night Award Chart. The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort will either go down to new Category 5 (35,000) or up to new Category 6 (50,000). Either is possible. My guess is that Category 5 (35,000) is slightly more likely, but it could be either one.

The chance of it going to new Category 7 (60,000) -- the category for the top Ritz-Carltons and other top luxury properties in August 2018 -- is very low.
Consider all the chatter about the popularity of redeeming rewards at certain hotels and how this will be a factor in the devaluation. I'm betting this one will go up, and since the pricing can get close to what the Ritz costs, I don't think it unreasonable for them to be the same.

Of course, there's no guarantees in the world, so my poor choice of words. I'm convinced it's going up! At the very least, a cat 6. It will be interesting to see how it all works out in the end.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Actually, the fact is that Marriott points were worth so little relative to Hyatt and SPG points that the old award chart and concomitant award categories give the illusion that Marriott Category 8 and 9 hotels are more premium and luxe than they actually are.

Marriott Cat 4 hotels at 20k points going to Cat 6 hotels at 30k points turns out to be pretty minimally different when you consider SPG points would make that 6.7k and 10k. Those equate to SPG Cat 3 and 4.

Marriott Cat 8 and 9 hotels going for 40k and 45K seem like inexpensive options when you pare them against SPG hotels/points. The SPG equivalent of 13.3k and 15k equate to between SPG Cat 4-5.

The top of the Marriott award chart didn’t even come close to broaching the top tiers of the SPG award chart. The bottom of the RC award chart doesn’t come close, either. Tier 1 RC hotel award compare with MR Cat 5 award, after all...but compare with SPG Cat 4 awards.

The top of the RC award chart does come closer. A Tier 5 hotel award at 70k comes close to SPG Cat 6. But nowhere near SPG Cat 7.

This is part of the reason why fears of devaluation are overblown. Marriott elites aren’t used to properties in SPG Cat 6 and 7 that typically command much higher ADRs and therefore need to command higher award prices. The reset will push a lot of Marriott properties lower on the new Cat 1-8 scale than was true in the older Cat 1-9 scale.
Separate the SPG properties from the Marriott properties. In the merged program, nominal impact to SPG properties, and Marriott mid-Cat properties will be hit the hardest whereas the upper Cat/Tier properties will see nominal impacts.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

Yes, but, coming from the Starwood side of things with ridiculously expensive redemption rates for category six and seven (and the even more expensive all-suite properties at double standard rates), the Marriott category 9 properties were one of the brightest spots in the merger while they lasted. 15K starpoints for great properties in London, Paris, New York, etc. were much better than 20K or even 30K from Starwood (or more if high-season pricing was in effect). From the preliminary list, all but one of those at 45K are going up to 50K and the last one is going up 15K to 60K.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott elites aren’t used to properties in SPG Cat 6 and 7 that typically command much higher ADRs and therefore need to command higher award prices.
That's such an arrogant statement. What next: Let them eat cake?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Marriott elites aren’t used to properties in SPG Cat 6 and 7 that typically command much higher ADRs and therefore need to command higher award prices.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's such an arrogant statement. What next: Let them eat cake?
... and why I don't really feel for the SPG LTs who don't end up getting LTPP (... FWTW ...). Since getting granted SPG Plat post-merger I've been over on the SPG board and I see more than just bhrubin with this attitude; it makes it far too easy to have little pity for them post-changeover (and wouldn't surprise me if MI shares some of that sentiment as well).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Concur. Until now SPG elites have done quite well with: (1) the Gold status match (Gold easy to get on SPG) which = free breakfast and lounge access at Marriott (though not vice versa for Marriott Gold) (2) Great redemption rates on top Marriott properties with 1:3 conversion (3) Temp improved award rates at some SPG properties from August-December.Come 2019 and 2020 we will see rates jacked up to 95k for all of the expensive properties.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by epiahtles
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but from the way I see it, I think at least majority of MR Cat 8-9 properties wouldn't be end up in Unified Cat 8. They'll probably go to Unified Cat 6
One MR Cat 8-9 property ended up in a unified Cat 8. That's 1 of 428 - 0.23%. So yes, not quite a majority.

25 to Cat 7

160 to Cat 6

242 - a majority - to Cat 5.

Far from those properties going up 107% (every 8 and 9 to an 8), they went up 2.7%

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:16 pm

Domes of elounda was the headliner devalued property, that's category 8

I also don't get how you say only one Marriott property ended up in category 7

I count 26 former category 8 and 9 in the new category 7, those are 60k standard

A simple sort by price difference and looking at the 15k plus will show it.

Last edited by crimsona; Jul 2, 2018 at 9:25 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by joshua362
I'm in for $100
I collected all the data - it's really not that hard to collect 4000+ data points when the company provides a web page with 4000+ data points. Copy and paste.

All data was adjusted for SPG's 3:1 - it's really not that hard either.

If you take every single property and make it Peak every single day of the year, with post-2019 categories, and assumed every single SPG Cat 5+ property would be peak 0 days of the year, the increase is <15%, still way under the claims above.

You can send your check to Make-a-Wish Foundation, which provided wonderful services to my niece.

Or you can ignore the data and find a reason to back out. Your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.