Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Members who have Marriott Gold only via a match from SPG Gold will not become Platinum Elite in August.
Thanks, I stand corrected. I was relying on the fact that he said that they were not making any changes in 2018, not taking anything away from members.

It's not clear to me about Marriott members who earned Gold through credit card (not match) and not 50 nights.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 17, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:28 pm

My question is if you earned Marriott Gold via the Ritz credit card will you map to platinum or gold for the rest of the year?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:29 pm

Question about Flight and Hotel packages. I have a CAT 1-5 Cert good for up to 7 nights, one stay. In theory, the Cert is worth 150,000 points. There's a statement that a Free night Cert will be worth its points, so a Cat 1-5 cert would be good for any stay up to 25,000 points. Any educated guesses how this will work for the 7 night cert? For example, might I be able to stay 3 nights at a 50,000 point property, starting in August, now that the Cert isn't based on 7 nights?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As noted above the stealth devaluation is largely swept under the mat, but I guarantee this will be the worst thing to hit since Hilton's big deval a few years back. Mark my words: It's not just RC properties that will go to 95k. You will see St. Regis, Hawaii resorts, NYC and London properties (regardless of nameplate) - they will all go to 95k. Because these awards cost MR a large amount and they don't plan to give them away anymore.

And on top of that the SPG Amex card has gone from a "must carry" card that stacks up well against Chase CSP & CSR to a card that has been devalued 33% on everyday spend and thus on the "soon to cancel" list. Amex will not be pleased when it sees the attrition rate.

So all this whining about benefits and who will get grandfathered status, etc. is just a diversion from the real bad news that was dropped yesterday. Bravo to the Marriott PR team and their blogger shills.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Until I see terms and conditions, I'm not entirely convinced that anything above platinum is worth it, especially if you're on spending your own money. Among other things, I want to see how the upgrades are conditioned and whether there is an order of precedence to ensure platinum premiers or platinum premier ambassadors get priority over a platinum for an upgrade. I also want to see how the "breakfast offering" (Marriott's words) is conditioned.

I don't think it is all doom-and-gloom for gold. Upgrades are going to be difficult to come by, particularly in big cities and at resorts. Plus, there are so many plain vanilla Sheraton, flagship Marriott, Westin, Delta and Renaissance properties with limited or no suites. And then the suites they do have often are nothing to write home about.
Disagree. SPG Gold was (is) completely worthless in current form except for the 50% bonus on hotel spend (3 points v. 2). the "New" Marriott Gold is equally worthless. There will be no upgrades except to a higher floor or maybe a few more inches of floorspace. Forget about suites, peak vacation dates, etc. Even 2pm checkout is "subject to availability". This is one of the reasons that I always picked standard Marriott over Westin, St. Regis, RC even though Marriott rooms were inferior - because I value the lounge. No more.

Plat is new sweet spot because it includes breakfast, but as you note, that does not necessarily guarantee a real breakfast. Under the old program Gold = lounge access and we all know what that meant because we had visited many superb lounges. Thus even new Plat is arguably inferior to old Gold because the latter had guaranteed lounge access.

For me the key item will be the Plat upgrade certs. I don't know how SPG did it (because I never had Plat) but if these are treated as guaranteed for suites like Hyatt did then Plat will be a status level that has meaning to many of us who need suites (or 2 rooms) for family trips. If it is just a phony discretionary "upgrade" like Hilton Dia and current Marriott Plat, then worthless.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The problem is there isn't much competition. IHG is worthless, Hilton is devalued and Radisson/Club Carlson is only a consideration in some parts of Europe. Hyatt is the only one that could compete with Marriott International, notwithstanding its small footprint.
Agreed. Except that IHG generally treats Ambassadors well so if new Marriott Plat doesn't pan out then my business will definitely go to Intercon brand hotels for high rev business trips to major international cities. Hyatt will be the next choice as Hyatt's intermediate level (Explorist or something - thankfully Marriott did not create a bunch of stupid names) including 4 lounge access certs and I can still get top category resort and major city rooms for 30k points.

Marriott has great coverage but without lounge access there simply is no reason for me to spend $500 to stay in JW, RC, St Regis in London, Hong Kong, Washington, etc. when I can get better rooms and service at competitors.
OliverB likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:47 pm

I hope I'm not duplicating an inquiry.

The new credit card free night awards that have point values associated with them have me wondering if the SPG style room and suite upgrades might be bookable with these types of redemptions... and if one could add to the point allotment with points from your account for a higher level redemption.

Also are there terms that restrict the hotel credit? Can the credit be used for a stay... can it be used without a stay at a properties facilities or it's restaurant or bar?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Troopers
Is this true for new program? From what source?
That's for the current program. Would be surprised if it changed, but I do not know for certain that it won't.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:04 pm

Lifetime Gold becomes Lifetime Platinum?

Originally Posted by pitflyer
It's nice that Lifetime Gold become Lifetime Platinum in the new program, while Lifetime Platinum become Lifetime Platinum Premier. Fair!
And SPG Lifetime Gold becomes Lifetime Gold (matching their lower Gold requirements) and SPG Lifetime Platinum becomes Lifetime Platinum -- which again is fair since they generally stayed as many nights as a Marriott Lifetime Gold member.
But they fact that they have two tiers starting with Platinum.. come on.. that's a tongue twister.
I like to hear that Marriott Lifetime Gold becomes Lifetime Platinum in the new program, but must have somehow missed it in the e-mail and related announcements. Where exactly does it definitively say that?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by CPRich
Don't get overly excited about the equivalent of SPG SNA's. They don't even apply until 5 days before a stay. I used 0 last year and 1 so far this year.
EXACTLY, they are not "guarenteed" and every property has discretion on whether to honor them.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FLA77
I like to hear that Marriott Lifetime Gold becomes Lifetime Platinum in the new program, but must have somehow missed it in the e-mail and related announcements. Where exactly does it definitively say that?
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

Look under 'What's New"/Marriott Rewards. But, please note that the new Platinum is pretty much the old Gold.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For me the key item will be the Plat upgrade certs. I don't know how SPG did it (because I never had Plat) but if these are treated as guaranteed for suites like Hyatt did then Plat will be a status level that has meaning to many of us who need suites (or 2 rooms) for family trips. If it is just a phony discretionary "upgrade" like Hilton Dia and current Marriott Plat, then worthless.
As an SPG Plat I have had good success with them but always outside the US. The only time I tried in the US was Hawaii during a peak week so I wasn't surprised that they were declined There are many stories on the SPG Board, however, about people who felt that they were worthless.
When I read the terms on the Marriott site they were identical to those of the SPG SNA . At booking or any time thereafter ( up until shortly before your stay) you can check the room types being offered and select one or more of them on the website or over the phone. The earliest you would know that they had cleared would usually be 5 days before your stay when they check for availability. That sweep is repeated daily until the day before your stay. If not cleared by then they are returned to your account.

You can only apply them if you have enough for your entire stay so with 10 I was able to snag a suite for 8 days in Cyprus for example. Now with only 5, unless I hit 75 nights again, they are perhaps less useful except for shorter stays. Perhaps with the option of some night credits from a CC 75 nights might be more achievable, an option not available to Canadian members of SPG at least so far.

As I said I have had good success for the most part, outside of the US. Other members have noted that the chances of clearing are greater on shorter stays but it is the longer vacation stays when they are of greater value. Ironically I have had them fail to clear in Canada, only to receive the UG anyway at check in without using the cert. As it was the end of the year it made no difference and it went unused but that is the only one of 30 I have had in the last 3 years that wasn't used. TBH though when my SNA didn't clear at the Westin Moana in Waikiki I only used them by applying them to a year end stay when I really didn't need or particularly desire a suite.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Plat is new sweet spot because it includes breakfast, but as you note, that does not necessarily guarantee a real breakfast. Under the old program Gold = lounge access and we all know what that meant because we had visited many superb lounges. Thus even new Plat is arguably inferior to old Gold because the latter had guaranteed lounge access..
The new Plat still guarantees lounge access.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The new Plat still guarantees lounge access.
Except at Resorts which is a loss to all the past SPG loyalists, who had that, even though I recognize that it was always a MR rule.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
(EDIT: Looks like this was already corrected above, as I continued reading)

Originally Posted by Troopers
This is now confirmed. For 2018 only, Marriott Gold via SPG gold will become new Platinum in August.

See TPG live video interview on FB with SVP Flueck around 10 min mark.
Actually, it confirms they will not.

"Members who have earned Gold on the Marriott side will then get Platinum..."
For members who have matched, they will be getting the Gold status, which is more equivalent to the SPG Gold status"
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:51 pm

I listened to the VP on TPG video. I may have heard incorrectly but I thought he said that they didn’t want to take away anything from current elites . However , by mapping SPG Gold and RC Credit Card Gold to NEW Gold on 8/1 , aren’t they indeed taking away lounge access and breakfast from current Golds who mapped from SPG or earned via the Ritz card ? Yes , Gold will still be Gold but with far less benefits .
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
You haven't looked too hard. 3:1 conversion was announced long ago and was re-confirmed today.

I'd be glad to exchange your "devalued" SPG's for MRs. Heck, I'll even give you 2:1.
going forward, SPG card every day spend will only earn 2 marriot points..big time devaluation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.