Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Looks like SPG dining (while not a guest) will continue...and expand to Marriott

From https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...416.1527256622

Will You Still Earn Points for Food and Beverage Spend While Not Staying at a Hotel?

For years Starwood has offered the ability to earn points at hotel restaurants even when not staying on property as a guest. When Thom Kozik came on board to run the Marriott program it was the first thing he talked about as one of his priorities for Marriott, although Thom is no longer with Marriott and Marriott hotels still do not offer this this feature.

Legacy Starwood hotels will continue to offer points-earning for ‘off-folio food and beverage spend’ while this will be tested at participating Marriott Rewards properties in Asia Pacific starting August 18th. Presumably this will be rolled out more broadly at some point in the future.
I’m delighted this will continue, as many higher tier SPG legacy hotels have wonderful restaurants and bars. I hope that it will be expanded to Marriott and Ritz-Carlton properties and thereby encourage their better tier properties to invest more in their restaurants, too.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by escape4
I am in the camp of those who did not see much value to SNAs in the past. I used to pick SNAs for my platinum benefit, but I stopped and recently I have been picking the free night instead. My issue with the SNAs is exactly what you point out: you tend to get a suite upgrade anyway when it does not clear. So when it does clear, that always left me wondering if I would have gotten the suite even if I had not used a SNA so did I waste the SNAs?

I guess if someone is Plat50 it could be useful because that person would know they might not get priority over P75 or P100, but if you are P100 it seems the value of SNAs is more muted.

For all those reasons, I am surprised you love SNAs given your experience - I would be interested in hearing more about your thoughts.

If SNAs were handled like Hyatt or (formerly) Fairmont in that you get your suite at the time of booking, my opinion would be different.
You almost said it for me. 100% agree on all points. I had an ambassador off and on for a few years. She request suite upgrade for me about 12 times. It succeeded once (the first time), and failed all the rest.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Jul 25, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:58 am

Question for you guys. I was searching for an answer in the thread but did not see anything. I am a Marriott Platinum member and have about 68 nights right now of which 6 were earned from my Marriott visa. My visa anniversary date is like 8/21 so I won’t be getting the 15 elite nights until then. I read somewhere that the credit cards were maxed out at 15 elite nights total going forward so does that mean since my anniversary date is a few days after the new program goes into effect I will be losing 6 elite nights this year? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Chicken12
Question for you guys. I was searching for an answer in the thread but did not see anything. I am a Marriott Platinum member and have about 68 nights right now of which 6 were earned from my Marriott visa. My visa anniversary date is like 8/21 so I won’t be getting the 15 elite nights until then. I read somewhere that the credit cards were maxed out at 15 elite nights total going forward so does that mean since my anniversary date is a few days after the new program goes into effect I will be losing 6 elite nights this year? Thanks!

I don't think you are going to lose anything. There is a lot of confusion and debate about this, so I can only tell you how I have interpreted things.

I think the verbiage about the annual 15 night bonus only refers to those who hold multiple cards. In the past, each card earned the 15 night annual bonus. Going forward, each MR account will only get one 15 night annual bonus, regardless how many cards the member holds.

I do not believe that this affects the one night per $3K spend on the legacy personal card. I believe, at least for now, that benefit will continue. Just my two units of lowest currency worth.
lexdevil and JBord like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:03 am

Thank you. Fingers crossed you are right as I should easily then hit the new 100 night tier if that’s the case. My challenge is so many of my nights tend to be on corporate group events where I don’t get the elite nights or points credit. I have stayed 16 nights this year across 3 events and got nothing for it. ☹️ I need to call them this week though as my birthday elite night credit bonus did not post in May again for like the 3rd year in a row. Have a good week!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by Chicken12
Thank you. Fingers crossed you are right as I should easily then hit the new 100 night tier if that’s the case. My challenge is so many of my nights tend to be on corporate group events where I don’t get the elite nights or points credit. I have stayed 16 nights this year across 3 events and got nothing for it. ☹️ I need to call them this week though as my birthday elite night credit bonus did not post in May again for like the 3rd year in a row. Have a good week!
I think they discontinued the birthday elite night credit...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dsperling
When I called in June to ask they said I most likely did not get it since there was some marketing list I was not subscribed to even though I was getting the emails. They said they would run it through manually and I should see it in a few days. That was 4-5 weeks ago so either they messed up processing it or you are right and the customer service agent I talked to was not aware of it being discontinued. Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:18 am

Few questions regarding the new program. I understand the new tiers but on 8/18 how are nights calculated towards status? Do award nights count? Bonus credit card nights?

For instance if ones nights are:
Paid 46
Redeemed 10
Credit Card 15
Bonus Credit Card 4

Does this person get Platinum Premier? Or maybe Gold (if only Paid counts) or Platinum (if some combo counts above 50). Or is it none of the above and you just get mapped over for the rest of 2018 to what you are now?

If the person then stays the 100 nights by end of 2018 and spends more than $20k threshold does that person get ambassador status going into 2019?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Few questions regarding the new program. I understand the new tiers but on 8/18 how are nights calculated towards status? Do award nights count? Bonus credit card nights?

Paid 46
Redeemed 10
Credit Card 15
Bonus Credit Card 4

Does this person get Platinum Premier? Or maybe Gold (if only Paid counts) or Platinum (if some combo counts above 50). Or is it none of the above and you just get mapped over for the rest of 2018 to what you are now?

If the person then stays the 100 nights by end of 2018 and spends more than $20k threshold does that person get ambassador status going into 2019?

Thank you!
Award nights do count.

I think only one credit card 15 nights counts--but I could be wrong. That definitely starts in 2019, though.

You'll know for sure on Aug. 19 or 20! Looks like you'll be Platinum for sure. Maybe not quite Plat Premier yet if the second credit card 4 nights don't count.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dsperling

I got one this year for a birthday in June.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320

Paid 46
Redeemed 10
Credit Card 15
Bonus Credit Card 4

Thank you!
I'm assuming the bonus credit card is the original Marriott visa? I think those four nights count toward the night count so the person would get Plat Premier. Of course ... I'm skeptical whether the original Marriott card that give 1 nights credit per $3,000 spend will continue.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: None - previously UA
So if I make an award reservation for post August 18 (July 19) but don't have the points required now, can I still fulfill that reservation at the reservation points rate?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

so after aug 18, plats with 100 nights and 20k spend get an ambassador. how is the revenue determined?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I have a question, which blogs have answered this way and that, but I was wondering if anyone has more definitive information on.

I've been Starwood Platinum for 7 years. I have 477 nights. I have 72 nights with Marriott, and I've been Platinum only since they began status matching SPG, so not long at all. I still probably have around 30 nights organically before end of year, which would put me at 579 nights. I don't know how much 2 million Marriott points is (I suspect there's no real way to check) but let's say I have that through SPG, having stayed in generally "better" properties over the years. If I go ahead and host a dozen meetings or so to get me to 750 nights combined, do I still have a shot at Platinum Premier, or has the boat sailed for me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.