Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@lexdevil it seems to me that you’re assuming that Marriott somehow is going to try and avoid recognizing more of your spend for reaching the $20K threshold. I think that assumption is silly! I would think Marriott will want to recognize as much appropriate spend as possible to reward those who stay often and spend a lot towards Marriott.

My guess? Just like Marriott only gives elite credit for 1 room but still lets you earn points for up to 3 rooms), I am assuming Marriott will give spend credit for as many room rates as you pay for, as well as food/beverage credit during stays (and hopefully not assuredly for non-stays) and probably spa credit during stays too (and perhaps but not assuredly for non-stays too).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
@lexdevil it seems to me that you’re assuming that Marriott somehow is going to try and avoid recognizing more of your spend for reaching the $20K threshold. I think that assumption is silly! I would think Marriott will want to recognize as much appropriate spend as possible to reward those who stay often and spend a lot towards Marriott.

My guess? Just like Marriott only gives elite credit for 1 room but still lets you earn points for up to 3 rooms), I am assuming Marriott will give spend credit for as many room rates as you pay for, as well as food/beverage credit during stays (and hopefully not assuredly for non-stays) and probably spa credit during stays too (and perhaps but not assuredly for non-stays too).
I hope that you are right, but I am concerned that you are not. I have called/tweeted/emailed Marriott and received a range of responses, including silence, "we don't know, they have not told us yet," and "you will only receive credit for spending on your own personal room." This last answer was given after the customer service agent had put me on hold multiple times to speak with supervisors.

I also was connected with the Ambassador line a couple of months ago in my attempts to get this question answered. I spoke with someone who told me my current spend on record. The number they gave me was roughly 1/3 of my actual spend. My guess is that it was calculated based on my base points earned, which is limited to 3 rooms. If they choose to track spend in this manner (probably the simplest way to automate it), my spend will be radically underestimated.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I hope that you are right, but I am concerned that you are not. I have called/tweeted/emailed Marriott and received a range of responses, including silence, "we don't know, they have not told us yet," and "you will only receive credit for spending on your own personal room." This last answer was given after the customer service agent had put me on hold multiple times to speak with supervisors.

I also was connected with the Ambassador line a couple of months ago in my attempts to get this question answered. I spoke with someone who told me my current spend on record. The number they gave me was roughly 1/3 of my actual spend. My guess is that it was calculated based on my base points earned, which is limited to 3 rooms. If they choose to track spend in this manner (probably the simplest way to automate it), my spend will be radically underestimated.
I don’t spend time wondering or getting freaked about things that may go my way or another way. I try to maximize my chances for myself as much as I can, and then I move forward and let the chips fall. If they break my way, fabulous. If not, then I’ve had fabulous perks up to now and I’ll be delighted that I got those...and move forward in a direction that best suits me.

They don’t have a clue—on the front line. My Ambassador still doesn’t know. Either way, it will be what it will be. And if it really is terrible, there always is the chance that enough loud complaints (like the SPG LTPs wanting LTPP) can make Marriott change its mind.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This is the MArriott FAQ - https://members.marriott.com/faq/#ca...rewards-points (too long for FT to handle

Can I earn Starpoints®, Elite Night Credits and receive SPG benefits during stays at hotels in the Rewards portfolio? And can I earn Rewards points, Elite Night Credits and receive Rewards benefits for stays at hotels in the SPG portfolio?

Until August, the programs will remain separate: SPG members will continue to earn Starpoints and receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program, and Rewards members will earn Rewards points and receive Rewards benefits at hotels participating in that program. You’ll need two accounts—one for each program. In August, we’ll combine the programs into one, and you’ll be able to seamlessly book, earn points and redeem points. You will need to combine your accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel to receive the benefits from your combined status. You’ll also receive the same earning and Elite status benefits across all 6,500 hotels and 29 hotel brands. See our Member Benefits page for more information.
Wayback machine has the same "In August" in May and June, and no versions between those and June 2017, which doesn't contain the question.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
https://www.spgpromos.com/amexcomingsoon/faqs currently has:

Q: Can I receive SPG benefits and earn Starpoints and Elite Night Credits during stays at hotels in the Marriott Rewards portfolio? And can I receive Marriott Rewards benefits and earn Marriott Rewards points and Elite Night Credits for stays at hotels in the SPG portfolio?
A: Until August 1st, 2018, the programs will remain separate: SPG members will continue to earn Starpoints and receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program, and Marriott Rewards members will earn Marriott Rewards points and receive Marriott Rewards benefits at hotels participating in that program. You’ll need two loyalty member accounts—one for each program. Starting August 1st, 2018, you’ll be able to seamlessly book, earn points and redeem points across all of Marriott’s 6,500 hotels and 29 hotel brands and you will need to combine your loyalty member accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel to receive the benefits from your combined status. Log in to spg.com and follow the prompts in order to combine your accounts. SPG, Marriott Rewards, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards will maintain their separate names. See Marriott’s Member Benefits page for more information (members.marriott.com)..
The promo that this was tied to (which is odd) appears to be expired, so there may be no way to get to this other than via Google search/cache. But it does show what was available at one time.

But having been through multiple IT mergers, I can say that going live even in the same month as originally announced well in advance is pretty good. And no matter when they go live, someone will need to be planning for stays the month after it's supposed to happen. Yes, live in late August makes it hard for booking in October. If they went live in June, we would have heard the same complaint for people booking August.

Regardless - it's now a TBD date in August. We wait to find that TBD date. "But you said August 1" isn't going to change anything.

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 3, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
In a world where Marriott ignores a lot of my spend, I may be better off with Marriott only giving 10 nights for the first event booked. This would at lease cull the herd of Platinum Premier 75s who achieved that status with nothing more than 8 $50-100 meeting rooms, possibly making it a tiny bit easier for the rest of us to catch an upgrade.
This is where I think the real impact will be felt. Marriott is maxing most credit cards to the silver and gold level They're capping night credits to one credit card (I received 30 for the biz and personal Marriott cards this year. ) The new cards have no mention of 1 elite night credit for $3k in spend. No rollover nights. No credit for up to 2 extra rooms like the SPG program This really looks like a cull to me. Anyone who has complained in the past about crowded lounges and no upgrades and can hit platinum through BIB should be happy in my eyes...
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
How many nights to qualify for top lifetime status? Thought it was 750, now seeing 600 on Marriott website.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hedoman
How many nights to qualify for top lifetime status? Thought it was 750, now seeing 600 on Marriott website.

afaik, it is 750 and 2 mil points

after it will be 10 years of XX status gets you that lifetime
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hedoman
Legacy Marriott Rewards and Lifetime Plat Premier in the New Program
The highest LT level in the legacy MR program is LTP which requires 750 nights and 2m points. Those who are presently LTP in the legacy program or will reach those numbers in the legacy program by the end of the year will become Lifetime Plat Premier (LTPP) in the new program. Shortly after the beginning of the year LTPP will close and members will no longer be able to qualify for that LT status. LTP will become the top status for which members will be able to qualify in the new program. In addition to all legacy Marriott LTP members getting LTPP, so will SPG LTP w/>750 LT nights, those who merge accounts and have at least 750 nights and ten years' history as an SPG P and/or a MR P and/or G (these are the levels which required fifty or more nights/year) and those with at least 2m MR points (no SPG points added) and at least 750 nights between the two programs. The Starwood Lurker has answered a question which clearly states "Yes" to whether someone in that last situation will become LTPP but some doubt the answer because of the explanation attached to the answer.

Lifetime Platinum in the New Program
To become LTP in the new program, members will need >600 nights and at least ten years' history of reaching at least the fifty night status in the new program, which will be P50, and/or one or both of the legacy programs. Points will no longer be a LT qualification criteria. The fifty night levels in the legacy programs are SPG P and/or a MR P and/or G.
rny321 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
After talking to my mother, I realized that she will be platinum in August while not paying for a night in a Marriott or Starwood brand hotel in the last several years.

She got the Marriott Personal and Business Visas in 2016, and got 30 elite nights. Other than meeting the minimum spend, she didn't really use the cards after that. Then 20 nights rolled over into 2017, and she got 30 more nights from her credit cards in 2017. She did redeem the free night certificates and a couple of reward nights for a total of maybe 2 or 3 nights each year. This is how she got the 50 nights to become MR Gold towards the end of 2017.

She likes the thought of being a platinum in Marriott, but honestly, she doesn't have much use for it. She mainly stays in Towne Place Suites and Fairfield Inns.

I think it's kind of funny. This may be the type of thing that Marriott wants to minimize in the new program. I forgot to ask her, but she has had Marriott credit cards for close to 10 years now. I bet she will be lifetime silver in the new program even though she only stays in Marriotts 2 or 3 times per year on reward stays. Lifetime gold probably won't happen for her, though. Yes, she has a lot of points banked up. I have got her trained to get new cards every 2 years or so to get a new bonus. Maybe she will take a nice trip to a hotel that is above a category 1 sometime.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeanie

I think it's kind of funny. This may be the type of thing that Marriott wants to minimize in the new program.
I think the impact of someone like this is actually minimized in the current program. Your mother got a year of status due to the credit cards. Marriott gets paid from selling points to Chase. One year of Gold and then Silver via credit card for someone who stays a few times a year likely works out in Marriott's favor as your mother doesn't really claim many of the benefits provided (and there are almost none at Silver anyway).

But if Marriott gains a high spend customer maybe once for every 10 like your mom, they probably consider that a good deal. Sometimes people confuse the cost of awarding benefits with the cost of redeeming them. Points are likely booked as a liability. But things like free breakfast, upgrades, and even extra points are an expense ONLY if someone claims them. I don't think they'd care if they have 10 million Silvers who use the credit card and only stay 3 times a year -- as long as the cc means they choose Marriott when possible for those 3 stays.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by jeanie
She likes the thought of being a platinum in Marriott, but honestly, she doesn't have much use for it. She mainly stays in Towne Place Suites and Fairfield Inns
FWIW, and someone distract the SPG crowd while I type this, but as someone else who shops by price and has stayed a variety of MI room levels, I've discovered that not all FI/CY rooms are all small and cut the same; most of them have at least one better (and occasionally great) room on every floor, and that's what I get out of my (LT)P status (especially when FIs can command $300/nt in California for a regular old room).
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Am I correct that beginning in August when I log into my account on the Marriott website and enter a location (let's say Miami, Florida) and a date (let's say Jan 15-21, 2019), I will be offered a choice of not only the usual Marriott family brand hotels, but the Starwood brand hotels in the area as well?

Thanks.

NEWMAN

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: Fixed Signature to fit FT guidelines.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:09 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Newman
Am I correct that beginning in August when I log into my account on the Marriott website and enter a location (let's say Miami, Florida) and a date (let's say Jan 15-21, 2019), I will be offered a choice of not only the usual Marriott family brand hotels, but the Starwood brand hotels in the area as well?

Thanks.

NEWMAN
I would NOT bet on that.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Newman

Thanks.

NEWMAN
The details, as they exist now, is ONCE they merge the reservation systems you will be able to choose from all the MR, RC, SPG properties from a single point. However, they have not published a hard date as to when they expect to have that ready to roll out. Should they hit any major issues (maybe existing system coded to handle up to 25 brands), the August date may get pushed out further.

We are all guessing and those that know the facts aren't here to tell us.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.