Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Veronyka
I forgot to mention (not sure if this matters) that my Marriott "nights" are 15 from my CC and 17 from rollover (2017). Do these still count towards my 50 for Plat? Or are they like the "5" SPG nights that won't count?

Thanks.
Those will count for annual status

The 5 SPG CC nights just didn't count for LT status purposes (different from MR CC/other nights)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Krisflyer Gold, HHonors Gold
So it's mid-June and Starriott haven't released the full revised hotel award chart yet, as I'm impatient, any guesses as to whether it will be this week or next week?

I have a travel credit expiring at the end of June so I want to see whether I should use points or the travel credit for my hotel stay.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by robbo135
So it's mid-June and Starriott haven't released the full revised hotel award chart yet, as I'm impatient, any guesses as to whether it will be this week or next week?

I have a travel credit expiring at the end of June so I want to see whether I should use points or the travel credit for my hotel stay.
I was wondering the same thing and keep coming here to check for news. Being the pessimist I am, thanks to Marriott IT reinforcement, I would guess it will be Friday or Saturday of next week.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I was wondering the same thing and keep coming here to check for news. Being the pessimist I am, thanks to Marriott IT reinforcement, I would guess it will be Friday or Saturday of next week.
God help me, but this is driving me insane. It's less than 6 weeks before the full merger and we *still* have no cement answers on travel package redemptions/refunds and only know hotel categories for less than 2% of properties. We have a cert we're using for Korea in September, but I don't know whether to upgrade and book now or wait until we know categories. We have points for 2 more packages (tentative 2019 plans), but won't convert until we know the categories...hopefully before they jack the prices on them. Plus, I'd purchase another 30K SPG points to either almost get a 3rd or finish upgrades for the upcoming two...if we knew what was coming.

C'mon Marriott, let me give you my money!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The past two days, I have had to call Starwood three times. What a joy to get a person quickly that was helpful and knew what they were doing. Amazing. I miss that Marriott!
stc, UA-NYC, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lefleur
I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum (I searched but didn't see the answer).

If someone is Gold with Starwood because of the # of stays (10 or more stays), and so they have been matched/granted Gold with a linked Marriott, what happens August 1 if they have not hit the 50 night threshold since the stay qualifier has gone away as an elite qualification (post-August 1)?

I will not have 50 nights by August 1. Does this mean I get thrown back into new Gold (25-49 night) category for Marriott (which now no longer includes lounge access or breakfast as a welcome amenity)?

I am trying to plan out the rest of my travel. I have about 50 nights to book between now and December 31, with the potential for more. I currently have 16 nights/7 stays with Starwood and 8 nights with Marriott. I need to make hotel reservations for 8-9 nights for July (2 or 3 trips); 10 nights for August; 12 nights for September; 6 nights for October; 6 nights for November; and 12 nights in December. Because of a work/geographic limitation, 10 of these nights (mostly August/September) are already committed to Hilton Hotels. I may have 2-ish additional weeks of travel to book, depending on some work developments, but this is probably the minimum number of hotel nights I need to plan.

I am trying to get lounge access post August 1 as much as possible given some of the locations I"ll be in (all of my August, September, and November nights are international). At this rate I won't get (the new) Platinum status until mid- or late September based upon nights.

I am trying to decide which hotels to stay in next month (July) and trying to figure out whether I need to stay at 3 Starwoods or if I can stay at a mix of Starwood/Marriott (a Marriott option is much better for one of my trips). If I stay at 3 Starwoods I will be Gold (Starwood) and matched Marriott Gold PRIOR to August 1...however am I correct to assume that getting 10 stays = Gold PRIOR to August 1 does not translate to Platinum post-August 1?
How many stays and nights did you have with both SPG and MR last year? Your 2017 nights will be added together in August to determine whether you get higher status in the new combined program for the rest of the program year. If your status based on 2017 totals is higher than status based on 2018 totals (legacy rules or combined program), you get the higher status for the remainder of the program year, presumably March 1st, 2019, but we must wait for the new T&C to determine the date for sure.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Can't come soon enough!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many stays and nights did you have with both SPG and MR last year? Your 2017 nights will be added together in August to determine whether you get higher status in the new combined program for the rest of the program year. If your status based on 2017 totals is higher than status based on 2018 totals (legacy rules or combined program), you get the higher status for the remainder of the program year, presumably March 1st, 2019, but we must wait for the new T&C to determine the date for sure.
??? Where did you read they will be adding 2017 nights to determine MPG status? All I've seen is they will preserve your current status, so (presuming) the higher of the two programs will survive the merge and migrate to the new program until you earn a higher status in 2018. This is for your regular status. Now they will be adding all LT nights in both accounts at the time you merge them to determine your MPG Lifetime status and should that be higher than your regular status, then you'll be bumped up to that.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The past two days, I have had to call Starwood three times. What a joy to get a person quickly that was helpful and knew what they were doing. Amazing. I miss that Marriott!
Stop gloating! I'm on hold with Marriott right now. 12 minute hold to start and now 8 minutes and counting while the agent tries to fix a missing stay.

A missing stay on a standard domestic U.S. Marriott on a normal Marriott.com booking of a published rate. One I also submitted an online missing stay request for a week ago with no response.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
??? Where did you read they will be adding 2017 nights to determine MPG status? All I've seen is they will preserve your current status, so (presuming) the higher of the two programs will survive the merge and migrate to the new program until you earn a higher status in 2018. This is for your regular status. Now they will be adding all LT nights in both accounts at the time you merge them to determine your MPG Lifetime status and should that be higher than your regular status, then you'll be bumped up to that.
I could be wrong, but I think he meant 2018 (not 2017) nights will be combined from SPG and Marriott in August.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
For me, Marriott seems to have stopped responding to emails altogether. Emails I sent over a month ago have gone unanswered. What with that and the website issues it looks like the wheels are falling off.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pinniped
Stop gloating! I'm on hold with Marriott right now. 12 minute hold to start and now 8 minutes and counting while the agent tries to fix a missing stay.

A missing stay on a standard domestic U.S. Marriott on a normal Marriott.com booking of a published rate. One I also submitted an online missing stay request for a week ago with no response.
I had to call in for a reward reservation yesterday. With all the posts, I was fearing the worst. My call was answered quickly (within a minute) and the rep was very competent.
Hope the are rounding a corner...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by yurtripper
For me, Marriott seems to have stopped responding to emails altogether. Emails I sent over a month ago have gone unanswered. What with that and the website issues it looks like the wheels are falling off.
I sent an email 2 weeks ago while logged in about a missing bonus, and about a week later the bonus posted. But I haven't gotten a reply from Marriott. Maybe they posted the points without writing me back.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I was missIng night credits for one of my rooms for a 7 night stay. The other room i booked posted correctly but not mine. The hotel told me (after contacting Marriott) that Marriott made a mistake and will be posting the nights immediately. We shall see. I think all things at Marriott are backed up.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
I have Marriott Rewards Gold Elite as a result of my UA Premier Gold status.

I've been using it at Marriot hotels and always got upgrades and other freebies.

Will marriot Gold Elite status get me anything when I check into a Sheraton in Canada next week?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.