Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by nall
Supposedly new benefits to the card are coming in August. What those benefits are, has not been detailed.
Which is interesting because it does show the new benefit in August as: " Coming in August: Receive free in-room, premium Internet access while staying at participating Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels. ". If that indeed the only new benefits it would be very disappointing.

And considering the new Amex premium card will only provide Gold status - I think this is the end of the Ritz card.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
I think they're going away. I've been looking for them too. We got the Starwood airline partners, which is a good thing, but I see no mention of the TPs.
Again, pointing to Gary Leff's very comprehensive article at View From the Wing:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ogram-end-spg/

See the section labeled "Cash and Points and Travel Packages Remain" which implies TP not going away, but details follow later.

Regards
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
It says:
"Points, Breakfast Offering or Amenity*"
So it is an OR. This how SPG does it but I (and others) have had some luck getting both points and breakfast. If you already get free breakfast, make sure to ask for points! Amenity...pfft.

New Plat Premier (75 nt) is same as Marriott Plat (75 nt) now.
Thanks! Do we think that means the same rules for the hotels w/ lounges apply as it would under the current MR system? (i.e. lounge closed on weekend/holiday and you are entitled to breakfast in restaurant or additional points, on top of your welcome points).. I seem to rack up quite a few stays in properties with lounges closed on weekends and end up getting a nice breakfast in the restaurant in addition to my check-in points so I would hate to see that go away.

Peak/Off Peak rewards redemption is interesting. What classifies Peak/Off Peak in cities like San Fran, NYC, LA?
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by bhrubin

St. Regis, Luxury Collection, and W seem to no longer offer breakfast? Biggest change for SPG elites, perhaps?
In the FAQ about elite breakfast benefits it says " As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option." Does this mean that St Regis, Luxury Collection and W will still offer breakfast or did they say that benefit was eliminated elsewhere?

Also, I am assuming that "lounge access" still won't include Ritz Carlton club level even though they don't call out the exception so you won't be able to get breakfast that way.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I wonder if status will still be shared with United for Platinum and Platinum Premiere members?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
I'm curious how status is defined for '19 (pretend lifetime status isn't part of the equation). My total night stay this year is 113. 35 paid nights and a rollover from '17 of 78. Does this mean I get ambassador service next year and 10 suite upgrades?
Sure looks like it.

It all seems pretty good for me as I get both program nights combined and will get the 15 credit card nights. No problem requalifying for Plat Premier then. I am now free to book Marriott again (but will ride the best promos right now which are SPG).

Lifetime is great for me. I just made lifetime silver. I have tons of nights but have been short on the points since I spent YEARS at a Residence Inn . Now I get credit for the years I put in! I have been Plat since 2012 so it appears I should get Lifetime Gold this year (7 program years as Plat) and only 3 more years away from Lifetime Plat. Also only about 3 years away from Hilton Lifetime Diamond.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I am happy that they took the good step to "grandfather" existing Plat LT members to Plat Premier. I am glad I made LT Plat with the previous qualification level rather than the new one with the 10 year criteria which I would most probably would not have been able to achieve.
Can have a good night sleep and will at least still give my business to the chain while now working on my Hilton LT status.

Not too bad at least for my situation.

Cheers!
This describes my situation. I have a combined roughly 870 nights between MR and SPG but not sure I would qualify with the 10 year requirement. Marriott did the right thing by grandfathering LTPP for us.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Where do we find our yearly spend?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by nova08
Peak/Off Peak rewards redemption is interesting. What classifies Peak/Off Peak in cities like San Fran, NYC, LA?
Off-peak will be February 29 of every year - excluding leap years. HAHA!!
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Mods: now that the new program has been announced, can we close this "leaked" thread?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Tony King
I wonder if status will still be shared with United for Platinum and Platinum Premiere members?
All up for grabs. The references that Delta Crossover rewards will continue through June and then they'll have more to announce makes me think Marriott might be courting both Delta and United as the sole partner of easy benefits in the new program.

The benefits between Plat and Plat Prem in new program seem minimal - 48 hour guarantee (never useful to me at a reasonable rate), 50% vs 75% points earning (when combined with the credit card 17.5 vs 20pts/$ spent isn't huge), and the choice to have a free night (in addition to the options of an annual gift or five suite night award upgrades) aren't that big. I think they'll either have more to announce on the difference in partner benefits or will create those differences over time...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Nooooo they have devalued and soiled the good name of the invitation only Plat. Premier status level. One has to wonder if there will be another secret invitation only level.

Was hoping for more drastic cuts to who they let into the lounges as the current golds will just become plats anyways, with lounge access just the same. If the credit cards will still continue to give just gold I suppose that will help a little.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I also am in this boat and wanted to ask about this. How can, in August, SPG Gold (which currently gives Marriott Gold status) become Gold, while Marriott Gold becomes Platinum. It doesn't add up. My concern is they will say currently matched Marriott Gold status from SPG Gold will not match to Platinum.

Will be disappointing to lose free breakfast and lounge access at Marriotts if I don't get matched to Platinum but would be great to get those benefits at SPG hotels if I do. Confusing.
Probably the qualifier will be "earned". If you earned Gold in MR, you will become Platinum in the new program. If you were SPG Gold and got matched to MR Gold for this yer.. you will not be bumped a second level. That is a bit too much to expect. (qualifier - I am SPG Gold as well. Same boat as you, but have no expectation to get boosted to Platinum)

Am I reading the chart correctly? I just achieved SPG LT Gold last month. Was typically someone that would make the level on 10+ stays, but nowhere close to 25 nights.(new Gold requirement) I'll still get LT Gold? Sweeeeet! ( I didn't expect it, but will certainly welcome it) The Armageddon we were all expecting is looking a whole lot better than we thought.

Still a bit disappointing to see the overall structure of points be inflated/devalued. Multiplying my current 100,000 SPG points x 3 just means that the 20,000 point room in Waikiki will be much higher. Win some/lose some.

Overall though, better than what I was expecting. Still interested in clarification on multiple rooms credit. Looks like we'll get points but only one room will get night credit.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Doesn't look too bad. Most of the dumpster fires have been avoided. There is still the issue with no stay qualifications though that will impact certain people. There really is no good benefit below the 50 night level, but the benefits at the 50 night level aren't bad. The benefits at the 75 or 100 night level doesn't seem reaching for though imo. The peak/off peak redemptions is better than tieing it to price, but I imagine most people will get caught on the wrong end of that trade.

The devil is always in the details though.

Nothing here makes me reconsider focusing my business on Hyatt. The 4 suite upgrades at Hyatt, each worth up to 7 nights apeice, bests the 'my choice' of 5 'suite night upgrades'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.