Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2002, 7:21 am

This is merely to provide some balance for those who might be planning a stay, but I do not suggest bad experiences don't happen from time to time. In any event, we were just there for 4 nights last month and it was great. In very few rooms could construction be noticed, the staff was pleasant, food good, etc.. I recommend it.
Old May 2, 2002, 7:53 am

Leaving tomorrow for 5 nights at Hyatt Kauai and three at Mokapu wing here. Is there a preferrable location in the Mocapu wing relative to construction? Any opinions as to upper floor (better views, tall ceilings) vs. Lower floor (balcony access to beach)?
Old May 3, 2002, 4:52 pm

My experience with Marriott over the years is that they have wonderful city hotels. However, if you want to use your award points for vacation in the tropics, the choices are few and far between.

I've stayed at Renaissance Wailea and it was 'okay' 3 years ago - though nothing special, and I have not chosen to return in 2 trips back to Maui.

Recently stayed at Grand Caymen and found it to be atrocious.

San Juan was nice, but not really a resort.

Hated location of Kauai Marriott - no beach to speak of - view from beach was industrial area across an inlet.

Have heard JW Ihilani is supposed to be nice, but I'm scared to try.

They really need to focus on vacation destinations other than timeshares.
Old May 3, 2002, 9:38 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davidb13:
Have heard JW Ihilani is supposed to be nice, but I'm scared to try.
</font>
\

It is...try it, you won't be disappointed

Old May 4, 2002, 8:43 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davidb13:
Have heard JW Ihilani is supposed to be nice, but I'm scared to try.</font>
Second DADISGARYK's comment.

Ihilani is a wonderful property.
Old May 6, 2002, 7:55 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
davidb13 - the Ihilani is a great property but call before you make your reservation and find out if there is a large group meeting while you're there!

Oh, and the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort (Australia) is terrific.

[This message has been edited by TravelLover (edited 05-06-2002).]
Old May 6, 2002, 8:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Someone mentioned that they don't like Kauai. We have been there several times and we love it. Sits right on a bay that you can swim out from. Located near cheap restaurants.
Old May 8, 2002, 2:58 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freeupgrade:
I give up - Here goes, since inquiring minds demand to know:

1. Check-in: As PLT was upgraded to "construction site view" (i.e. supposedly ocean view), and no, I was not using a reward. I was paying a published room rate.
2. When I called to find out why I had not been upgraded to Club Level (Mokapu or something like that), was given a wide variety of responses, including: "That is based on availability",(when I knew it was available), then was told very rudely by so-called Front Desk Manager: "we do not upgrade Platinums to that wing - there are special amenities there". Oh really, (re: upgrade policy) could have fooled me based on numerous threads I have read here.
3. Lanai door broken (read: could not be opened without Maintenance assistance, smelly (i.e. moldy) area in carpet.
4. Room service: Cold french fries, strange tasting bacon in $12 club sandwich.
5. 10-15 year old TV with 1/2 channels non-operational. Very poor reception. (No I was not there to watch TV, yet this is not Motel 6 either).
6. Non-reachable (unless one is a gymnast) electrical outlet for laptop use. While I realize this is a resort, give me a break. It is 2002 and one should not have to call Maintenance for assistance in moving desk to reach outlet hidden on wall.
7. Noise factors from room to the right and floor above was really bad. I could hear like everything, and I mean everything, coming through the walls.

While this level of detail may not satisfy some, and while some will no doubt say "Big Deal" to the above, so be it.

End of my comments on this issue - except for some things which I will state in a letter to Marriott Corporate Special Services. I will not list employee names here.
</font>
No offense dude, but if your tone with the Marriott employees was anything like your tone in this thread, I can tell why you didn't get a whole lot of proactive assistance during your stay. Sometimes showing up with the "I'm Platinum gimmie my d*mn upgrade" approach isn't always the best one. If the room they put you in was technically "Ocean View", then you DID get the highest upgradable room type, from what I've read about this hotel.

IMHO, a moldy room, loud neighbors, and bad room service food are legitimate gripes. But if you mix in gripes about the electrical outlets not being exactly where you want them, the TV channels not meeting your needs, and having to see construction equipment on the property, I'm guessing that the hotel staff chalked you up as a Grade-A jack*ss. Throw in the snooty I'm-Platinum-Kiss-My-Butt attitude, and you're lucky you didn't get some "surprise" wake-up calls throughout the night.

I'm traveling to this hotel in September. I've heard very nice things about it, and I look forward to it.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:53 pm

Rooms at Renaissance Wailea

I've read a LOT of mixed things about the rooms at the Ren. Wailea and am pondering whether to cancel for October.

Supposedly in 2001, rooms were upgraded with new carpets, bedding and patio furniture. Is this not true?!?

Old May 17, 2002, 10:31 pm

On this board, I've seen one very negative post about the Renaissance Wailea -- and a whole bunch of positive posts in various threads over the past six months or so.

Take a look at the reviews at http://maui.wheretostay.com/property/1009-reviews.html

By the way, the link above confirms that. "In 2001, rooms were upgraded with new carpets, bedding and patio furniture."

We last stayed there in 1987, when it was called the Stouffer Wailea. It was an outstanding resort with beautiful gardens, a great beach, spectacular public areas, wonderful restaurants and excellent service. And that was before the the $43-million redesign of the lobby, restaurants and guest rooms in 1990.

Despite the one very negative post that was on this board recently, I have no intention of cancelling our reservation for this year. And I'm expecting a stay that will as good or better than our wonderful stay in 1987.

[This message has been edited by Curator of Yesterland (edited 05-17-2002).]
Old May 18, 2002, 5:43 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Am headed there with my family in July (another "free" vacation using hotel points and air points that will wind up costing a fortune). The weight of the evidence I've read about Wailea is positive, but there is always a risk that a hotel can be a bummer even if all the buzz is good.
Old May 18, 2002, 6:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jackstraw45:
I've read a LOT of mixed things about the rooms at the Ren. Wailea and am pondering whether to cancel for October.

Supposedly in 2001, rooms were upgraded with new carpets, bedding and patio furniture. Is this not true?!?

</font>
Old May 18, 2002, 6:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jackstraw45:

</font>
Old May 18, 2002, 6:32 pm

My wife and I spent a week at that hotel in January. It was a freebie, using a Marriott Reward, so we had your basic parking-lot-view room. We have nothing but nice things to say about the hotel, and will definitely stay there (rather than at the Marriott) the next time we go to Maui.
Old May 18, 2002, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chuck till:
(another "free" vacation using hotel points and air points that will wind up costing a fortune). </font>
I had to laugh at this. Our "free stays" get extremely pricey after my wife hits the spa, we buy food, we rent a car, etc. I am sure it is worse with kids. Throw in some sightseeing or shopping and you have the cost
of a major sporting event....even with the free air and hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.