Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yet another 1-5 cert going in the trash....

Yet another 1-5 cert going in the trash....

Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
Maybe a silly question here.

I'm new to Marriott, and I'm currently gold elite for 2016, at 54 nights.

How do you get cert's?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mthake
Maybe a silly question here.

I'm new to Marriott, and I'm currently gold elite for 2016, at 54 nights.

How do you get cert's?
There are a couple ways to get them. If you get/keep the Marriott Visa credit card, you get a category 1-5 cert every year.

You can also get them as part of promotions, usually called Mega Bonus. Look under promotions on your account at Marriott.com to view the terms for the current version.

I think there is another way to get a category 1-4 cert, but not sure. I haven't received one of those.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm pleasantly surprised at how constructive the discussion in this thread has been. Based on the subject line and the first paragraph in the OP I thought it was going to be another carp-fest about how Cat 1-5 certs are "worthless". Certainly it's difficult in the U.S. to find a Cat 5 property anymore in a touristy location-- either downtown in a major city or near a resort. Even the Courtyards and Fairfields in these places frequently have inflated to Cat 6, Cat 7, or higher. But this doesn't make the Cat-5 certs worthless; it just makes them worth less than before. They still have value. We've just got to think differently about where to find it.

The past few years I've been using a lot of my certs when visiting family who live in the suburbs outside a major city. Downtown everything is Cat 7 or higher, but decently far out in the 'burbs where they live it's mostly Cat 5 or lower. Weekend rates are low enough that I'll usually opt to pay the cash rate, but midweek rates occasionally climb to $150, $200, more. Sure, I could use points, but these are also good opportunities for certs.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:10 am

OP, may be able to check your company policies too if for any reason any of your work travel takes you to locations that are 1-5 category.

My company has a policy that if you stay with friends, family, or use points for a hotel that we are credited with $75 per night that can be redeemed through a gift or gift card - can't take cash for some reason but still an awesome gesture. If your company doesn't offer this, check with your boss if they would allow you to expense something personally in return for not charging a hotel night.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by djohannw
Also look at airport hotels...might make that morning departure a tad more palatable. I frequently do so when departing out of IAD with the on-airport Marriott being a Cat. 5 and the nearby Suites only a Cat. 4.

Greetings - Dirk
It also comes in handy if someone has a late night arrival & doesn't live near the airport. I know a FTer who does that, as well as doing it when there's an early morning departure

Originally Posted by lexdevil
On a similar note, I like to keep them in my account for use in occasional IRROPS situations. Lots of airport locations are Cat. 5 or below.
I did that a few years ago when ORD shut down for 2-1/2 days due to blizzard & I was stuck in LA. At the time LAX Ren was a Cat 4, so used certs for 2-night midweek stay there when room rate was $279.

Cheers
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Used one at the Courtyard St. Denis Paris a few weeks ago, a little bit out of central Paris but would have cost about $175 for the night IIRC.

Last edited by kar120c; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
Good to know, and thanks for the update.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Dank0014's employer is smart for offering such a deal, but $75 strikes me as cheapskatish. Also, I bet the reason for the no-cash rule is because then the IRS would call it Taxable Income. When the NBA reimbursed referees for F/J tickets who flew Eco & pocketed the difference, the refs were prosecuted for tax evasion!
http://www.canoe.ca/BasketballArchive/jul11_nba.html

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 4, 2016 at 4:13 am
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Compiled this data for another thread but here is a general breakdown of Marriott properties and the reward levels for the US. There ought to be a few places people could find in this list (Actually more properties in the 1-5 tier than above) (doesn't include any US property that doesn't take points ever or the 80 properties that are sold out for redemption for tonight

USA 3603 Hotels
Category 1 (143)
Category 2 (542)
Category 3 (908)
Category 4 (621)
Category 5 (519)

Category 6 (328)
Category 7 (305)
Category 8 (161)
Category 9 (35)
Tier 1 (1)
Tier 2 (8)
Tier 3 (16)
Tier 4 (10)
Tier 5 (6)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kklems
No way to do that.
That's not entirely true. While it is atypical for Marriott to allow, I convinced them to let me "cash in" the certificate for 25,000 points which I then applied toward an award stay at a category 6 hotel. I wanted to make the reservation for a same-day stay, and explained the situation (that category 6 was the lowest in the market) and asked nicely...the agent responded well to it.

AM13
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:32 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm pleasantly surprised at how constructive the discussion in this thread has been. Based on the subject line and the first paragraph in the OP I thought it was going to be another carp-fest about how Cat 1-5 certs are "worthless". Certainly it's difficult in the U.S. to find a Cat 5 property anymore in a touristy location-- either downtown in a major city or near a resort. Even the Courtyards and Fairfields in these places frequently have inflated to Cat 6, Cat 7, or higher. But this doesn't make the Cat-5 certs worthless; it just makes them worth less than before. They still have value. We've just got to think differently about where to find it.
I think you've got it exactly right. I get a little annoyed that some of my favorite CAT 5 properties are not 6s and 7s but if I can get on average $200 with of value for the Cert that's more than twice what you pay for the card so -- aside from the other benefits of the card -- it's a good deal.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:21 am

if no 5 or 4 near you -SELF DOWN GRADE can use in a 3 -better than not using at all
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Since you're from New England, have you ever been to Lebanon, NH? That's where Dartmouth is located and it's a beautiful setting with a number of good restaurants. There's a cat 5 Residence Inn in Lebanon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.