Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yet another 1-5 cert going in the trash....

Old Mar 31, 16, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm a few weeks from yet another 1-5 Cert expiring. It has already been extended. I search and search for something that we could use, but always come up empty handed.

Before I just walk away from it, thought I may ask here. Anything that can be done to possibly combine with points or cash for a higher category - even a 6 would do.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 16, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post
I'm a few weeks from yet another 1-5 Cert expiring. It has already been extended. I search and search for something that we could use, but always come up empty handed.

Before I just walk away from it, thought I may ask here. Anything that can be done to possibly combine with points or cash for a higher category - even a 6 would do.

Thanks
No way to do that. Rather than letting it expire just pick the closest 1-5 cat hotel and checkin (you could do mobile check in) Pick up your key, go home and do mobile check out the next morning. If you are platinum you would get your welcome gift. Free nights now also count towards your yearly total stays so you get a night credit as well.
Old Mar 31, 16, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
You can always sell it. Plenty people seem to do that. But i'm with PP, just do a stay cation, but then I like hotels so I would find it fun to spend the night at the hotel.
Old Mar 31, 16, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Offer it on Coupon Connection. Or even give it away.
Old Mar 31, 16, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Where in NE do you live? You can definitely find something, even for an evening out for dinner or a show.
Old Mar 31, 16, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Just a reminder that certs are not transferable to anyone technically. Many properties will ignore this rule, but I've had a reservation switched from cert to points when I tried to use two certs on two rooms for one night (yes, both were in my name and I was staying - MR said that I cannot be staying in two rooms physically). I also suspect the reimbursement rate for this particular property was rather high despite the low category.

Rasheed
Old Apr 1, 16, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Even if you can't use it at higher cat properties, there is probably a Cat 1-5 somewhere within a reasonable distance of you.

Do a staycation. I've done that; it can be fun. Or, if you don't want to stay, check in, head home, and then call the front desk the next day to tell them you've checked out. You'd get 1-night credit towards elite status.

Alternatively if you have a Cat 1-5 in the area, you can gift it to someone else by making the ressie under your name, checking in & then giving them the key, & call the next morning to check out. That's assuming you trust whomever you're gifting it to to not trash the room. I had a friend do that. Couldn't use the cert herself, but had a single mom friend w/ young children. Found a local Cat 1-5 property with a pool, checked in & then handed the key to the mom, who enjoyed an overnight stay for free & played w/ the kids in the pool, so a 24-hour mini-vacation for mom & kids. I also did it once for a friend. I was having a large holiday party, already had a friend in the guest bedroom so no extra room, so I made a ressie at the local FFI in my name, checked in, & then gave the key to a friend who drove in from another state to attend the party so she could attend the party but not have a long drive home the same night.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 16, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks All: Good suggestion about using and not really showing up to get the 1 night at least!

From time to time, we used at the Courtyard in Providence, that worked out GREAT. But, now that is a Cat 6.
Old Apr 2, 16, 1:59 am

If you show up, at least you can get a free gift.
Old Apr 2, 16, 5:55 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Also look at airport hotels...might make that morning departure a tad more palatable. I frequently do so when departing out of IAD with the on-airport Marriott being a Cat. 5 and the nearby Suites only a Cat. 4.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 2, 16, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Do you have any family members who could use it? Then you could use it for leverage against them later. "Hey, remember when I gave you that free night? I need a favor."

I wouldn't do that of course, but just sayin'.
Old Apr 2, 16, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by djohannw View Post
Also look at airport hotels...might make that morning departure a tad more palatable. I frequently do so when departing out of IAD with the on-airport Marriott being a Cat. 5 and the nearby Suites only a Cat. 4.
On a similar note, I like to keep them in my account for use in occasional IRROPS situations. Lots of airport locations are Cat. 5 or below.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by lexdevil View Post
On a similar note, I like to keep them in my account for use in occasional IRROPS situations. Lots of airport locations are Cat. 5 or below.
I do the same. I used to also use them on mileage runs back when that was a thing, now I usually stay at family friendly properties outside big cities and have no problem finding a Cat 5.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence
Originally Posted by djohannw View Post

Greetings - Dirk
This is great advice, especially if close to expiration.

Additionally, If I have an early intl arrival, sometimes I'll burn a cert for the prior night and use the room as my own personal arrivals lounge. It's certainly a lot nicer to get cleaned up in a hotel room and maybe even take a quick nap than it is to deal with the airport lounge after a really long flight.
Old Apr 3, 16, 8:03 am

Programs: Primarily AA and oneworld alliance partners
I had two certs due to expire later this year, both for category 1-4. Had an unexpected family event I needed to go to and ended up using it both for two rooms for myself and family. Worked out really well. There were other higher category hotels that were closer to the destination, but it was a nice way to break up a drive too.

Since these can't be given away "technically", I was thinking I would do a staycation somewhere if it comes near expiration dates. Don't need to anymore, but I wouldn't waste it. A staycation is still relaxing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: