FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet another 1-5 cert going in the trash....
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:32 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm pleasantly surprised at how constructive the discussion in this thread has been. Based on the subject line and the first paragraph in the OP I thought it was going to be another carp-fest about how Cat 1-5 certs are "worthless". Certainly it's difficult in the U.S. to find a Cat 5 property anymore in a touristy location-- either downtown in a major city or near a resort. Even the Courtyards and Fairfields in these places frequently have inflated to Cat 6, Cat 7, or higher. But this doesn't make the Cat-5 certs worthless; it just makes them worth less than before. They still have value. We've just got to think differently about where to find it.
I think you've got it exactly right. I get a little annoyed that some of my favorite CAT 5 properties are not 6s and 7s but if I can get on average $200 with of value for the Cert that's more than twice what you pay for the card so -- aside from the other benefits of the card -- it's a good deal.