Wiki Posts
Search

Walked in on... Naked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
Walked in on... Naked

Was in my room this evening, a couple walks in... The Marriott I am staying in accidentally gave other guests my room.

What to do?

A. I don't appreciate being seen by strangers while I don't have clothes on
B. If I wasn't in my room at the time, they would have had full access to all of my belongings

I am lifetime plat... Never had this one happen. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Opposite happened to me. Front desk gave me the key to a room which was occupied. Nobody in there, but if I wasn't honest I could have made off with their belongings.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Amazon sells door stops $12.00 for 2 of them,

Happened to me once on 50 years...

Operyland Nashville, had the chain in the door...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
This is why I always knock a few times upon entering my hotel room.
DFWsakp likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I also get in the habit of using the chain or the security bar on my door at night for this very reason.
atbPy and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
So this is a common occurance?

RE: chain and doorstop. While I am only 29, I always think about "what would happen if I had a heart attack or ______ (fill in the blank with many medical conditions). I prefer to keep it accessible while I am by myself.

Should I ask the Marriott for anything?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:25 pm

This honestly happens way too often. I've personally entered occupied rooms twice last year myself and have had someone trying to get in my room once all within one year. I make sure I always use the lock and chain when I'm in my room but doesn't help in the event I'm not there and they walk off with my stuff.

I've notice this happens when I tend to check in early and my guess is they pre assign the room (perhaps through mobile check in or something) and end up giving me the pre assigned room.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hookthem

RE: chain and doorstop. While I am only 29, I always think about "what would happen if I had a heart attack or ______ (fill in the blank with many medical conditions). I prefer to keep it accessible while I am by myself.

I wouldn't "ask them for anything" but I would let them know what happened and voice your displeasure and I would imagine they will provide a goodwill gesture in return. I find it more effective though when you don't demand compensation.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Sheraton Toronto, I check in and when I enter the room, two hotel employees are at it in bed.

Radisson Ottawa (now a Marriott), I check in but the room is already occupied by a woman who believes I'm trying to break in.

True stories.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:55 am

It happened to me at a different chain that I had status for that I'll not mention here.

I had a family of four walk in on me. Their children were horrified when they ran in. 10 minutes later the front desk agent came walking in because she probably didn't believe the family. 10 minutes later the super did the same exact thing. I was more or less furious cause they could've atleast called before.

I now deadbolt and chain my doors when I'm in my room.

I did get 40k points and calls from HQ and the property apologizing.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

It happens a lot more than gets reported here. I always set the locks when I am in the room, alone or not. Should there be an event demanding access, the property can bypass all the locks and chains if needed. Just better for keeping the unwanted intrusions down. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do if you are not in the room. Best not to leave temptation out just in case.

Do let the FDC/FDM know it happened. Don't go demanding anything. You might be surprised what they may offer.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Was in my room this evening, a couple walks in... The Marriott I am staying in accidentally gave other guests my room.

What to do?

A. I don't appreciate being seen by strangers while I don't have clothes on
B. If I wasn't in my room at the time, they would have had full access to all of my belongings

I am lifetime plat... Never had this one happen. Any suggestions?
While not ideal, rooms can get assigned to guests that are already occupied. Over many years of travel I've had it happen a few times on both sides (my entering or them entering). On the former I head back down to the front desk, explain the room is occupied, they're usually mortified they gave me a room they thought was empty, and re-assign me another one. On the latter sometimes I've been clothed; sometimes I've been naked. I've learned to just throw the deadbolt when I'm in the room. That also keeps housekeeping out if they do a brief knock & start to enter right away.

I've never asked for compensation.

Originally Posted by Duke787
I wouldn't "ask them for anything" but I would let them know what happened and voice your displeasure and I would imagine they will provide a goodwill gesture in return. I find it more effective though when you don't demand compensation.
Agree.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It happens a lot more than gets reported here. I always set the locks when I am in the room, alone or not. Should there be an event demanding access, the property can bypass all the locks and chains if needed. Just better for keeping the unwanted intrusions down. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do if you are not in the room. Best not to leave temptation out just in case.

Do let the FDC/FDM know it happened. Don't go demanding anything. You might be surprised what they may offer.
Agree. Any hotel can get into a room if they need to, whether it be a master override or taking the door off. Whether it be another guest, minibar or engineer folk, I always have the deadbolt on when I'm in the room. I also make sure to use the hotel safe for valuables or laptop/tablet, etc, if I'm not going to be in the room.

Don't demand compensation. You may get it; you may not. Chalk it up to a learning experience to bolt your door. Presumably at 29 you won't be in danger of a heart attack, etc.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Happened once in 50 years, not bad, also seen a lock not working...

I still use the chain....but hope for a cute maid...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
We found our assigned room occupied at the LAX Marriott years ago. The front desk was surprised and apologetic. They upgraded us to a suite. Fortunately no nakedness was involved.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
A few months ago I got the keys to an occupied room - at 1:00 AM check-in. Woke the guy up, we were both pissed, we both got 15,000 points for the screw-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.