Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott buys Starwood for $12bn

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:56 pm

Globally I do not know how these two brands compare to what else is out there. However, when I was in Big 4 consulting, domestically you were either a MR loyalist, SPG loyalist, or gunned for both. You seldom stayed at any of the others unless you had no choice. If these two become one, I question if MR will feel the need to really step up their "offerings" or enhance their program after eliminating a major competitor in the US market.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jalves
Perhaps this is the opportunity they have been looking for.
Chase has a long and deep relationship with Marriott. It seems unlikely to me that it wouldn't do what is necessary to extend it to the new, much larger enterprise.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jsucool76
If Amex is smart, they will follow Barclay's lead from this year. Convert their SPG cards to marriott cards, and stop issuing them once the merger is completed.
That is not Amex's decision to make.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dayone
Chase has a long and deep relationship with Marriott. It seems unlikely to me that it wouldn't do what is necessary to extend it to the new, much larger enterprise.
American Express had a long and deep relationship with Costco. But Costco dumped American Express. Take your Visa card when your shop at Costco, beginning April 1, 2016.

Originally Posted by dayone
That is not Amex's decision to make.
I agree. The new Marriott will own the decision. There's also the matter of the existing Marriott-Chase and Starwood-AmEx contracts. I have no idea how long each contract runs and what the exit clauses are.

With the loss of its Costco business, American Express has an incentive to negotiate aggressively with the new Marriott.

There's also the matter of all the existing Marriott Chase Visa and SPG American Express accounts.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:39 pm

Chase likely paid dearly for all of the UA Chase Club cards it gave away with 1 year free as well as the millions of points it purchased from MR to give away in the 140K Ritz Card deal (Was that really MR or was it Ritz, or does it not really matter). Something tells me they are willing to unload deep pockets to maintain their partnerships.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TMM1982
A major hotel player could buy AirBnB any day they choose to. I hardly think they're fearful of AirBnB anymore than they are the traditional B&Bs.
AirBnB was recently valued at over $25 bn. You are seriously underestimating the impact they've had on the industry, particularly in leisure destinations.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Regarding Amex: I think that Amex is perceived to be higher end/classier, etc than other cards. The same is true of the Starwood brand. This boutique/luxury/lifestyle brand is something that Starwood did a fantastic job building. Marriott will need to be extremely careful to not tarnish this if it wants to maintain the loyalty of a certain subset of customers. Branding with Amex over Chase might be one piece of this.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:37 pm

Definitely made a great choice to stick with Marriott. Will get some more upgrades with Starwood properties. Very close to LT GLD. In a year or two, it will be LT PLT, and like others who already achieved the milestone, I would be all set.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:39 pm

Oh Wonderful! After a thorough study, I decide that the SPG hotels are best for me and now they are being sold. Barely, three months have gone by since that decision.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Yippie!!! I wonder if they will have double platinum status? Since I'm LT Plat on Marriott and Starwood... Well I know they won't because I'm double LT Plat on Marriott (1754 Nights). the only think I worry about is my 1M SPG points might become worthless.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73
the only think I worry about is my 1M SPG points might become worthless.
I don't think they will become worhtless, but I think there is a very good chance they will be devalued. SPG has one of the best redemption rates in the industry. So if those 1M Star points turn into 1M Marriott points, that would be a significant loss.

If I were you, I would book a fantastic trip at a St. Regis or LC hotel someplace in the world now.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73
Yippie!!! I wonder if they will have double platinum status? Since I'm LT Plat on Marriott and Starwood... Well I know they won't because I'm double LT Plat on Marriott (1754 Nights). the only think I worry about is my 1M SPG points might become worthless.
What are you hoarding 1M StarPoints for? A free trip to the moon?

Technically, all these reward points are worthless until redeemed. @:-)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Oh Wonderful! After a thorough study, I decide that the SPG hotels are best for me and now they are being sold. Barely, three months have gone by since that decision.
Imagine what those who made the commitment years / a decade ago are saying

At least 3 months isn't too deep of an investment yet, to change your mind!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by benberg2013
And maybe they'll raise the qualification requirements, in order not to have too many Elite members.
MR is already IMO the highest in the industry ... tough to raise that even further.

I tend to agree this is bad news for customers. We'll see when/how this transpires and how that is going to work out w/ LT status and other items. I sure hope they keep the Marriott LNF program
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I hope this doesn't effect the United/Marriott relationship. I enjoy having United Silver from my Marriott Plat. With an influx of Marriott Plats I don't know how crazy United will be about having that many more silvers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.