Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott buys Starwood for $12bn

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I stay at Marriotts every week for work but always thought SPG had some nicer properties in various leisure destinations. Hopefully they figure out a way to assign Categories to all the SPG hotels, then a formulas to convert SPG points to MR points. It would be nice if Marriott started doing the mini-tiers within Platinum for 100+ nights as well.

Last edited by JHake10; Nov 16, 2015 at 6:08 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:57 am

Definately a Take Under http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...tel-take-under
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
im just wondering if they will merge the rewards, if so i guess that just means more hotel choices to earn and burn points
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So the hotel market is going to be like the airlines with mergers? Prepare for mass devaluations in the MR program...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Ouch....first Delta Hotels in Canada now Starwood. Complicates things a bit...now what to do with the SPG points or gamble they hold value in the Marriott transfer.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have to agree with others in that I really didn't see this one happening. But I can see why this might be helpful for Marriott. Marriott can use this to get a leg up over their biggest rivals. And I guess Starwood really needed someone to come in and take over, so it looks like Marriott will be it.

Personally, I wouldn't give myself an ulcer trying to figure out what the ramifications will be for the 2 programs yet. There are a lot of other, more important, hurdles the 2 companies will be dealing with first. Maybe in a year or so, assuming this keeps moving forward, we might be able to get a little more ideas on how the programs will be integrated.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have to agree with others in that I really didn't see this one happening.
I actually predicted this last week, while staying in a Sheraton with three coworkers. They thought I was nuts, but it seemed to make sense.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Ho Lee Fuk, this is like armageddon to me personally. Although I'm LT Plat and used to stay exclusively at Marriott, I've accumulated some 600,000+ SPG points via credit cards over the years thinking they were the best currency for my later years. What a screwing, you know they ain't going to convert at a favorable ratio.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop this merger on anticompetitive grounds (like that will ever happen in the good ole USA...)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
They thought I was nuts, but it seemed to make sense.
When you think about it, I don't disagree. I was under the impression there had been early talks with Marriott but they had fallen through. I was just surprised (and admit I probably shouldn't have been).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This is going to result in more mergers. Hyatt, Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Accor, Wyndham, Omni, etc are all going to have to look for merger partners.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:06 am
Suspended

Oh u can bet ur bottom dollar that will be the case.... We all remember how the domino effect started with the airline mergers.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
I would assume the hotel industry is trying to fend off the new kids on the block like AirBnB, and they believe that this will help them... not sure if it will do, but probably they think it's worth a try...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cova
This is going to result in more mergers. Hyatt, Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Accor, Wyndham, Omni, etc are all going to have to look for merger partners.
Marriott, Hilton, and IHG all had around 750,000 total rooms. All of have been trying to grow through things like Delta, AC, and Autograph. This makes Marriott the largest but is probably more important internationally since Starwood has a stronger presence in many parts of the world. In other places in the US (like Seattle), Marriott options are pretty limited while Starwood has more options.

I'm a PP/Lifetime Plat and don't have any SPG status. There are some SPG properties that I like, and would stay but for the Marriott upgrades. Wondering if I should try them knowing that the points will eventually roll over. Is there a status match at SPG? I don't think the point conversion will be a killer ... Marriott will want to keep SPG members loyal. Any other thoughts on strategy from a Marriott elite standpoint?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Hmm, i think this kinda sucks. But maybe they come up with a nice loyalty program merged. I was trying to move away from IHG, but now i have to re-check all what i'm going to do.

One thing, i did NOT see THIS merger coming!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alfahund
I would assume the hotel industry is trying to fend off the new kids on the block like AirBnB, and they believe that this will help them... not sure if it will do, but probably they think it's worth a try...
A major hotel player could buy AirBnB any day they choose to. I hardly think they're fearful of AirBnB anymore than they are the traditional B&Bs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.