Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott buys Starwood for $12bn

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Perhaps now is the time to transfer my SPG into AA for the extra 20% bonus.
This is what I'm thinking.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:00 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jalves
Perhaps this is the opportunity they have been looking for.
Maybe it'll get them to be more competitive in Canada; right now I see no benefit other than 1 StarPoint / $1 for the SPG AMEX.

No night/stay credits, or extra points earned when spending at SPG, unlike the Marriott card.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:02 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Well I am not sure, what exactly to think, as I as many other did not really have had Marriott on the screen as potential buyer for Starwood. And there is a lot of work to be done and I would not be surprised if there are some antitrust obligtaion to fullfill. With other words, the acquistion is not confirmed and set in stone ...

Some question remain, like SPG status qualification is counter for stays or nights, while MR has a night only requirement. MR has four categories while SPG has only three. In so far, I would rate a SPG Platinum (25) to become MR Gold, but again, this is just an assumption ...

A number of Four Points in some German Cities left SPG and having now the possibility to stay at Courtyards is nice and very welcome. On the other hand with a lot of one night stays I have always been a friend of the possibility to requalify for SPG Platinum with 25 stays rather than 50 nights. But as I have ad a MR Gold Status for two years, I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed by the benefits and MR has always been an alternative to IHG rather than SPG.

Currently, I will simply wait and see, how everyhing is settled and wait till the details are announced. Of course I hope as SPG Platinum to become a MR Platinum, but a MR Gold seems to be more realistic. Though this means less benefits, but since I am not so much into Suite Upgrades, I can live with that.

In regard to Social Media, I would rate the SPG team as much better than the one of MR, but this is my personal impression.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yup this is a disaster.
For who? Certainly not for MR members, as top tier SPG Plat has better perks (primarily suite upgrades). If anything it will eventually open up SPG properties for redemption, as was the case when Marriott acquired Ritz Carlton.

Originally Posted by anotheran2
As a LTP on Marriott and LTG on SPG and like everyone else here, I think SPG points are going to be so devalued and there are going to be huge restrictions at hotels. I think even Marriott points will be devalued again with this merger.

I really hate marriott points because it's so much harder to use. It's just going to get even harder now with less competition and more members
That remains to be seen. If the conversion is 1 SPG -> 1 MR point, then yes, that would be a huge devaluation. But they could very well justify 1:2 or any other ratio.

In general SPG points are worth more because top properties only require 10k-22k points, whereas equivalent Marriott Cat 8-9 require 40-45k. Also SPG points are more difficult to earn through actual says (only 2/$1 for general members, 3/$1 for Gold) v. 10/$1 for Marriott base members and more for elites. So those who earn via actual $$ spent on lodging earn faster with Marriott, assuming the room prices are equal.

The real losers here are those with Amex SPG cards, because Amex will likely lose the contract. Even if they do not, if Amex continues to earn 1 point per $1 spent that will be worth half as much in Marriott program.

For those with hefty Marriott balances, I would not rush to burn as we may have some nice new properties available for redemption.

For those with hefty SPG balances, I would not rush to burn but I would keep a watchful eye for redemption opportunities at SPG resorts as those awards may effectively increase in cost when the programs merge.

Personally I have no trouble redeeming Marriott or SPG points at top properties so I disagree with the statement above. Both are light years ahead of Hilton.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
Maybe it'll get them to be more competitive in Canada; right now I see no benefit other than 1 StarPoint / $1 for the SPG AMEX.

No night/stay credits, or extra points earned when spending at SPG, unlike the Marriott card.
But we earn 1.33 SPG points per USD, versus the US Amex of 1 SPG per USD!

I kid... but only partially
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I think I'm in the minority here as I'm very happy with this although the devil is in the details and ask me again once all the changes are announced

First: I'm LT Gold (200K points only away from LTP with MR); 9 stays away from LT G with SPG. Currently no status with SPG but was a long time Plat and loved SPG as a plat. Don't really like SPG if not plat. MR on the other hand treats golds very well and of course IMHO treats plats very well. - Early returns - Win for me in this merger/takeover...

You've brought up another discrepancy between the two programs that will have to be mediated in some fashion since LT SPG status only requires nights not points. I suppose my LT SPGGold will become LT MRSilver irrespective of SPG points, and that MR will acknowledge LT status, albeit adjusted to the parallel tier. Admittedly, SPGGold is a pretty nothing tier but MRGold is pretty much equivalent to SPGPlat (though not SPGPlat+, the 75 night uber-tier). Curiously, MRGold can be had as long as one keeps UA/MP/STARGold...which I find is a very good benefit of holding that airline status tier, even at the lowest of UA's three STARGold tiers.

My primary program has been SPG, but I've dipped into MR from time to time when there are no Starwoods in the neighbourhood, and taken advantage of my MRGold status through the UA/MP "match"...much better benefits than MR elites receive from UA I might say. Must say I have been positively impressed by my stays at various Marriott brands so will wait until we start to actually get concrete news later next year.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I realize that

I apologize since I wasn't very clear

I meant to say

I am no status at SPG right now; I don't like SPG without status as I don't feel I'm treated very well so I don't use them at all - Not a complaint as I don't expect anything without status but otoh, I am not going to stay where I don't like what I receive even if its all that I'm entitled too.

At MR, I'm LT gold; I don't do enough travel these days to earn the gold status annually but luckily once upon a time I traveled a ton, have LT Gold so I get the gold benefits which are adequate to me; Hence by bringing SPG under the MR umbrella, I'll eventually be able to use that LT MR Gold for my own personal gain at the current SPG properties; hopefully I'll be LT plat by the time that comes around as well (200K more points and I do have the MR Chase CC)

I win in that situation
I've been a devotee of Starwood/SPG for years as I grew up in their hotels and despite only becoming a member less than two years ago, I've been EXTREMELY well looked-after by their associates. I was on a trip to Minneapolis with two stays booked at the W and Le Méridien Chambers this past April and although I was a bottom-of-the-barrel Preferred Member with zero elite status history, BOTH hotels upgraded my stays after reading my reservation preferences about requesting rooms with just a little more space [I booked entry-level rooms at both hotels]. The W bumped me up a category to a gorgeous high-floor corner room and the Le Méridien Chambers went above and beyond and gave me a luxury suite bigger than some apartments I've lived in. Based on what I've heard from members on the SPG thread who are simultaneous elite members with SPG and MR, MR leaves a LOT to the imagination - perhaps even too much.

I'm very satisfied with SPG and, hopefully, will be ascending to Platinum [my first time ever at the top of a status ladder so I'm quite the small fry next to some of the heavy-lifters around here but no matter] after a few stays this week, and I wholeheartedly love this program as well as the strong and individual brands it offers. Marriott has some brands I truly love - Ritz-Carlton, Edition and JW Marriott, I'm looking at you - and I can only hope that both Starwood and Marriott work together to offer the world's most powerful frequent stayer/guest program befitting what will become the world's largest company rather than shamelessly pursue margins and dollars.

Time will tell soon enough.

khabah
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by crimsona
But we earn 1.33 SPG points per USD, versus the US Amex of 1 SPG per USD!

I kid... but only partially
Well... I never thought of that, in terms of our dollar's value

I had been holding off on getting the SPG Amex, hoping that it would eventually have the nights added as a benefit, but that's a great reason to grab it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
Le Méridien Chambers went above and beyond and gave me a luxury suite bigger than some apartments I've lived in.
Sidebar: that's a fantastic hotel. ^ We stayed there a couple years ago on a cheap Thanksgiving weekend rate and ended up in the huge apartment for 4 nights. Kids hardly knew what to do with themselves there were so many places they could sleep!!

It's hotels like that one that really don't exist in the Marriott portfolio except as maybe an Autograph Collection hotel. (My upgrade aside, it's a funky cool hotel with lots of art and excellent food/drink. Entire hotel was probably less than 75 rooms.) That's the part of the Starwood lineup that I hope doesn't get whitewashed into a generic Marriott experience.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Ouch, I just took a look at the RC redemption rates. Most of the good ones are 60-70K/night, which is quite a jump from the comparable SPG properties at 20-30K/night. I know it's easier to earn points with Marriott, but do many members redeem for stays at RC or is this universally known as a poor idea similar to trying to redeem SPG points at all-suite properties?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Ouch, I just took a look at the RC redemption rates. Most of the good ones are 60-70K/night, which is quite a jump from the comparable SPG properties at 20-30K/night. I know it's easier to earn points with Marriott, but do many members redeem for stays at RC or is this universally known as a poor idea similar to trying to redeem SPG points at all-suite properties?
Since I roughly consider the SPG:MR ratio to be 1:3, I'd say the Ritz redemption levels are reasonably in line with StR. (You can also do RC Travel Packages.)

It's mainly a question if you're willing to trade elite benefits for a higher level of overall luxury.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by azepine00
i hear marriott is buying those properties too...
That's hilarious! Best joke I've read on FT in a long time.

Originally Posted by Horace
I agree. But I think that ship has sailed.
Sail? Did someone say, 'SAIL'?

Here's a new song by SPGnation called SAIL. ... blame it on my H.O.T. (HOT is SPG's stock symbol)

The Lyrics:
"Sail"
(from "Megalithic Symphony" album)

Sail!

This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my H.O.T. baby

This is how an angel dies
I blame it on my own supply
Blame it on my H.O.T. baby

Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!

Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself (myself)
Blame it on my H.O.T. baby

Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my H.O.T. baby

Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!

La la la la la
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la,

Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!

Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail with me
Sail!

The song goes along with the following picture of a Viking funeral.
https://davidclowery.files.wordpress...ng_funeral.jpg
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Goodbye 4:00 pm checkouts that Starwood usually gave easily and hello auctioneering with the front desk for an ultimate 12:15 pm checkout.
OMG I literally LOL'd when you said this because I've been staying in DEN several times this year. Usually at the Aloft by the airport, but this time I tried the FS Mattiott across the street - I'm Gold in both programs.

Aloft offers me a 4 PM checkout when I check in.
Marriott I asked for 1 PM, and got 12:30.

All this being said, for me this is probably a win because corporately my employer doesn't have a ton of good negotiated rates with Marriott except in certain markets - but definitely not Europe where I usually spend at least a month each year; but we do with SPG which I'm hoping will now open the door for me with soon-to-be MR properties. I'm building towards LT status in MR (have almost enough nights for Gold but need more points).

OTOH, this could go badly too, so it's going to be a lot of "wait and see."
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I am a Lifetime Platinum with SPG and Platinum with Marriott. For me, SPG wins hands down with elite member treatment. More upgrades, better recognition, etc. I hope this marriage works for members.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by chanp
I am a Lifetime Platinum with SPG and Platinum with Marriott. For me, SPG wins hands down with elite member treatment. More upgrades, better recognition, etc. I hope this marriage works for members.
IMHO regarding treatment of elites

SPG wins at the SPG Plat vs MR Plat level

MR wins at anything below top tier including down to no status vs no status level

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.