Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott buys Starwood for $12bn

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I'm excited for this. SPG seems to have some nice properties in inner cities and out west. Obviously, the SPG elite people are getting screwed. The upside is we get so few definite benefits in MR Rewards it's hard for them to take anything away! I am hoping they include SOME of the SPG perks -- 4pm late checkout would be amazing.

I think I read somewhere that 3/4 of SPG properties are outside the USA, with 2/3 of MR properties are inside the USA. So regarding DOJ approval, I doubt they'd block it since there isn't that much overlap. And where there is (big cities) there are so many other options it's hard to press the non-competition issue.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
It is interesting that the SPG thread is a lot longer than the Marriott one and people there are worried.

I am MR LT Plat and SPG LT Gold and UA 1MM. From my perspective, there is not much gain. I had 0 paid stay at Marriott this year because my company does not have a chain-wide discount with Marriott and I made LT Plat. So, I started to diversify to SPG - then this happens :-(

In my experience (mid-tier business traveller):

+ for MR
1 - better 800 number service
2 - more consistent mid-tier hotels
3 - travel packages
4 - bigger footprint
5 - generally better lounges in the US

+ for SPG
1 - SPG's Social Media team is great
2 - Make a Green Choice makes a big difference for points
3 - guaranteed 4 PM checkout
4 - longer hours / more days for lounges (but food not as good)
5 - SPG Your 24

I know going forward, we most likely won't get the best of both worlds and the reduction in competition is never good for the consumers.
Former PP (for around 7 years IIRC), currently FT Plat and SPG Plat-100. I stopped staying at Marriott because the top end PP was completely inconsistent. Treated great 10% of the time and the rest as a regular Plat. SPG has more tangible benefits as a Plat than Marriott ever has.

- 50 nights - Plat - 10 suite night awards (now they also have some alternatives to choose from). Allow you to request a suite upgrade and they will try and confirm 5 days in advance and check until you arrive. Of course there is not guarantee you'll get to use all of them as they expire each year.
- 75 nights - Your24 (request alternative, confirmed if available, checkin or check out times)
100 night - assigned a personal Ambassador (direct phone number to a single point of contact). This is a mixed bag as some Ambassador's bend over backwards for their pax others only respond when spoken too. If they are not there you roll over to another Ambassador that, in my experience, provides equal or better service. I had one help us use free weekend certs in Hawaii when we only tried to book the rooms just 14 days in advance at a hotel which was almost sold out (based on available inventory) then on top of that we were able to use our suite night awards to ug from a 300 sqft room to a 900 sq ft ocean view and diamond head view room. That was all done in advance and we didn't have to beg the front desk for an upgrade, which seems to be more the norm at Marriott (even as a PP).
- FWIW 4pm check out is not guaranteed, if the property is sold out that night they can easily deny it, happened to us in Hawaii (online res showed zero availability) but they did make some accommodations for us. But at Marriott they make you feel like you are asking for them to get some special approval from Mr. Marriott himself to allow it.
- also there are points bumps as you go through the additional plat levels
- The point add ons. My typical week my base points is around 1,200 per stay, that doubles to 2,400 with my level bonus. Take the points for a 'gift' 500, green on a 3 night stay 1000 points, so 3900 for one 3 night stay. Doing the math, 1,500 point for the add ons is more than my base stay points. For reference the Sheraton on Oahu or the Westin in Paris are 10-12 points per night, so it's a pretty good haul of points for one week.
- Sheraton's normal UG policy on rooms does include suites

As for Marriott (some of the reasons I left)
- 'beg' for late check out or you have to make them look up your status to get it done
- 'beg' for that suite upgrade

Marriott benefits
- definitely more options, especially in Europe. We spent a few weeks in Spain (outside the main cities) this year and leveraged the AC Hotels and were treated very nicely there. SPG only in Madrid and Barcelona
- Agree the lounges are generally better
- Quality of the hotels are more consistent. You know what you are getting with each brand.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jlb3
I am hoping they include SOME of the SPG perks -- 4pm late checkout would be amazing.
Yeah, it would be amazing if SPG actually honored it, too. In my many years as a SPG gold and plat, that particular benefit has NEVER been honored when I've asked for it. I've had pretty dismal success with the amazing suite upgrades others brag about, too, so to me MR has always been a superior loyalty reward program.

If Marriott can bring Starwood properties up to a consistent level of customer service and quality, that will be a tremendous victory for us as guests!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Yeah, it would be amazing if SPG actually honored it, too. In my many years as a SPG gold and plat, that particular benefit has NEVER been honored when I've asked for it. I've had pretty dismal success with the amazing suite upgrades others brag about, too, so to me MR has always been a superior loyalty reward program.

If Marriott can bring Starwood properties up to a consistent level of customer service and quality, that will be a tremendous victory for us as guests!
90% of the time the front desk asks me, when I check in, if I want a 4pm check out, but that is as a Plat. I've only been denied 4pm when they hotel was actually sold out, usually do to large conventions or events in town.

Agree suite nights are a challenge and a lot of people complain about them, which is why I believe they have alternatives but I think the suite is the best value for them if you can use them. I've been successful 2/3 of the time but I've been able to use them all on vacations. Also, the suite night can be combined with award stays.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Thumbs up Starpoints toward MR lifetime status

During the past few years I began a long-term quest toward Marriott Rewards lifetime status. So far I am barely halfway to MR Lifetime Silver, even using my Chase Marriott and JPM Ritz-Carlton Visa cards for rent and estimated taxes (sharply reducing withholding), and taking advantage of MR Platinum status to move excess UA miles over to MR at 50K per year.

Assuming the conversion rate is not too bad, at least 1:3, it would be nice to have my existing Starpoints count toward this goal. And nights, of course, but I was never a very frequent guest.

It would be even better for me if all Starpoints ever earned were attributed toward my MR point total. I bought 104 Inside Flyer subscriptions @ $60 each in mid- to late-2002 for 260,000 Starpoints.

That would be a nice windfall.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:31 am
Suspended

the points are great BUT you still need several hundred bed nights for S/G/P LT status

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
During the past few years I began a long-term quest toward Marriott Rewards lifetime status. So far I am barely halfway to MR Lifetime Silver, even using my Chase Marriott and JPM Ritz-Carlton Visa cards for rent and estimated taxes (sharply reducing withholding), and taking advantage of MR Platinum status to move excess UA miles over to MR at 50K per year.

Assuming the conversion rate is not too bad, at least 1:3, it would be nice to have my existing Starpoints count toward this goal. And nights, of course, but I was never a very frequent guest.

It would be even better for me if all Starpoints ever earned were attributed toward my MR point total. I bought 104 Inside Flyer subscriptions @ $60 each in mid- to late-2002 for 260,000 Starpoints.

That would be a nice windfall.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deac83
90% of the time the front desk asks me, when I check in, if I want a 4pm check out, but that is as a Plat. I've only been denied 4pm when they hotel was actually sold out, usually do to large conventions or events in town.
It all depends on the hotel and that local management there. Whether the hotel is sold out or not should only be an issue at a hotel designated as a Resort or Conference hotel. Otherwise, you're supposed to get it, period.

Unfortunately, my experience was varied with Late Checkout. I even got the Lurkers involved in one situation and the hotel still didn't budge.

It's like the suite upgrade benefit. Most of my travel was in NA and outside of one hotel in Toronto (which isn't a Starwood hotel any longer) I very rarely ever got a suite. I know lots of folks here on FT talk about how great this benefit is, but outside of that one hotel, I can count on one hand the number of times I received a suite upgrade. (I was a Plat for about 4 years.) So in reality a lot of those "extra" benefits SPG Plat gets you, I just didn't see. And that is why I haven't been a SPG Plat for the last few years.

I will say that while I doubt Starwood's consolidation with Marriott will adversely affect me as much as others, I am a little sad in that it is nice to have points in a bunch of programs. When I travel somewhere being able to look at 3 or 4 different program award availability is very helpful in my ability to go where I want to go rather than being forced to go where my hotel program of choice happens to have award hotel availability. And I'm worried that this might be signally a more general hotel industry consolidation and that could make it harder to find award availability where/when I want to travel.

Last edited by hhoope01; Nov 18, 2015 at 6:05 am
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Then immediately call SPG corporate care or contact the Lurkers here. The property being sold out is irrelevant. If it isn't a resort or convention hotel, they cannot deny the benefit.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:15 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
If it isn't a resort or convention hotel, they cannot deny the benefit.
Per the rules? You are correct. In reality though, some can and do still deny it.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Then immediately call SPG corporate care or contact the Lurkers here. The property being sold out is irrelevant. If it isn't a resort or convention hotel, they cannot deny the benefit.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I'm also hoping any SPG points and nights accumulated will count towards Marriott Lifetime Status. I'm only 120K points away from Lifetime Gold (already have the nights). Any little bit helps!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jlb3
I'm excited for this. SPG seems to have some nice properties in inner cities and out west. Obviously, the SPG elite people are getting screwed. The upside is we get so few definite benefits in MR Rewards it's hard for them to take anything away! I am hoping they include SOME of the SPG perks -- 4pm late checkout would be amazing.
Why do people find this so useful? When I travel on business, I usually check out @8am if I have an evening flight back as I don't want to spend valuable time running back to the hotel for my luggage. It is a rare occasion when I pack up at lunch, but even then I am out by 1pm. The only time I've needed a room after 12 is when I have a flight that departs at 10pm-3am, and in that case I always pay for another night as 4pm doesn't help.

As for leisure trips, the 4pm checkout is not guaranteed at Resorts and IME is rarely available (lucky to get 1pm). Of course, Resorts are the only place I personally need late checkout as it makes it possible to change clothes after a day at the pool, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:46 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm also hoping any SPG points and nights accumulated will count towards Marriott Lifetime Status. I'm only 120K points away from Lifetime Gold (already have the nights). Any little bit helps!
Current points you hold at the time of a merger, or your lifetime in the program? I don't think I've seen anywhere on SPG where you can access that, although you've made me curious now.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I hope this doesn't effect the United/Marriott relationship. I enjoy having United Silver from my Marriott Plat. With an influx of Marriott Plats I don't know how crazy United will be about having that many more silvers.
Silver ain't much on UA these days. I doubt that United will even notice.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcisneros
Let's spend all SPG points ASAP!
Or not!

In other words, until/unless we're assured that lifetime points from SPG will be transferred (somehow) to lifetime points at Marriott, and/or we find out that (if) the Lifetime Marriott program will get rid of the lifetime points requirements because (if) that data was not kept in the SPG program, it seems to me we want to avoid spending any SPG points, in case only the SPG points we currently have, not any SPG points we have before, count towards lifetime points at Marriott. (For those chasing Marriott lifetime status and shorter on points than nights, at least.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.